Mother and Son get arrested in R4 Piracy bust

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Link5084, Nov 14, 2008.

Nov 14, 2008
  1. Link5084
    OP

Member Link5084 Sword & Shield at your service

United States
    The Nintendo copyright crackdown continues! The Kyoto Prefectural High Tech Crime Prevention Unit has arrested three individuals in Osaka Prefecture in connection with selling R4 style piracy devices. The R4 can be inserted in the DS Lite and has a small slot that the Micro SD card goes into. Data is stored on a Micro SD and downloaded via a flash drive. Not only did the police arrest Yasueda Okada, the 58 year-old president of the company selling R4-type devices, but also her adult son who is a suspect in the case. A third individual is in custody as well. All three have denied any wrongdoing. You know what they say, the family that sells R4 together, gets and arrested and goes to jail together

http://kotaku.com/5086747/mother-and-son-a...-r4-piracy-bust

Wow

2. Brian117

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I guess they are really starting to crack down hard.

Thank God it's only the people SELLING them that are getting in trouble.

3. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    It's in japan not here, no big deal.......

4. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Seeing that you can lose your internet service for downloading music and roms illegally in Japan, I'm not surprised.

5. Master_SL

Newcomer Master_SL Member

United States
    That is rather silly.
    Unless they show they were using the r4's for illegal activity they can't really hold anything against them since the cart and homebrew are perfectly legal.
    Anyone remember the lawsuit they tried to hold against Datel? It was shown that Datel was perfectly capable of using their AR's to mess with Nintendo's stuff.
    Since thats all the R4 does (with illegal activity being the result of an individual who owns it) there isn't really much they can do.
    Then again that is Japan so who knows?

@Inuyasha: how isn't it a big deal? If Nintendo is cracking down in Japan I won't be surprised if they attempt to do so here.

6. abc2390986

Newcomer abc2390986 Member

China
    I wonder what is going to happen if I go to japan and show my R4 to the cops.....

7. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    For now. Nintendo has done this in the past as well with piracy and backup devices for their previous systems. They start off in Japan and crack down where they can to basically instill fear into pirates and to force the devices off the market and basically make the government rule them as illegal to sell and own.

After they are successful in Japan, they start spreading out to other countries, after Japan, their next target tends to be the USA. Nintendo has successful put several companies out of businesses that sold or distributed flashcarts or game backup machines for various systems, most notably the Nintendo 64. The same goes to mod chip retailers as well.

The scary part is after they have cracked down on accessories and tools used for game piracy, they tend to go after those who bought and use the devices. Basically they go after the normal every day users like you and I. Nintendo has pressed lawsuits against people before for game piracy and such. Its mostly used as a scare tactic to scare people into giving up piracy. It does work, because once Nintendo shuts down a company, they can retrieve all sales records made by that company so anyone on the list could potentially be targeted.

8. RadioShadow

Member RadioShadow GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Really? And I was jealous they get all the good games first.

9. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    My friend bought a swc dx off a guy and some chinese cd's full of roms, which were labeled as photo cd's so they could possibly be more easily exported to other (probably asian) countries. He said the guy got deported though, but he advertised in the classified fleamarket for a few years before he got busted.

I'm not sure but I think you used to be able to buy snes and md copiers at shops in japan and it was pretty common, but this was back in the early 1990's. I remember when they made it so you can't buy or sell any pirated goods in Japan any more, this was the mid 1990's. Then you had to rely on China for it. I never saw any of this stuff in either China Town nearby where I live, but I heard you could buy snes copiers somewhere but they weren't the sought after ones. I bought one of those off a guy who got it in china town, it was a pro fighter clone called fire fox. It worked pretty well but only had 16mbit, so I sold it to a friend and used the money plus another $150 to get a swc dx and still have that one. I used to own a couple gdsf7's but they are crap, swc dx rules.

I went to the largest flea market in the USA and they don't have any sort of backup devices there at all, no R4's, nothing. They do have a few multicart GBA games, but they are just full of NES games. I picked one of those up for $5, waste of money. The cartridge label shows games that aren't even on it lol.

10. AeroHex

Banned AeroHex Banned

Australia
    Bahahahahahha poor people...i really feel for them [​IMG]