Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
OP
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
So hello Gbatemp. I would like to start off by saying that yes, I know this project will be tough, but it's not impossible. We can go by the words of Kamina:

QUOTE said:
"Go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb! That's the Gurren-dan way!"

1069.jpg

I would like to propose a team for translation. We would several positions on this team but I won't discuss that yet until I can see if anybody is interested in joining.
I for one would LOVE to see the MOTHER 2 portion of MOTHER 1+2 translated into English. Being a HUGE MOTHER fan, it is a dream that I hope to one day be realized to be able to play the MOTHER trilogy on GBA.

First issue, yes, the coding is tough, but perhaps with several minds working behind this, we can get the script analyzed. Tomato (person behind the MOTHER 3 and MOTHER 1 GBA translations) has commented on the matter of Earthbound/MOTHER 2's scripts here:

http://earthboundcentral.com/2011/04/a-loo...-mother-2-side/

As you can see, a lot of work has to be done.

He has been kind enough to give us his translation tools, which I believe are a Godsend. I could not get MOTHER1 Funland working but I was able to figure out how to use everything else by command prompt, and get some of my own script into MOTHER 1 and change some enemy names and such in MOTHER 2. No I do not have much experience in rom hacking but I am willing to give it my all behind this translation. I know a good amount of coding and can wrap my head around the stuff Mato has been saying and I can firmly say I can do some good work here.

The main goal would be to get the game in English. I don't care if it's just the SNES Earthbound localization with minor edits to the script, or if a person would be willing to contribute their time to assist in translating the script form scratch, but that's why I am here asking. The BIGGEST hurdle would be getting a Variable Width Font working, to accommodate the longer, larger amount of text in Earthbound's script (that the tect control code for MOTHER 2 can't handle natively).

I really am stuck on words here because I am tired but... the whole point to this thread is to gauge interest in this idea. I can't do it alone. I can edit this first post as time goes on but for now I'll keep this messy format and fix it up later when people start posting.
tongue.gif

So... anybody? I'll be doing more research into this game's coding and script and I'll post my finds if I gather any interesting info.

EDIT: Pranavmeno has posted the following:

QUOTEHello people of GBAtemp,

This project is already underway at http://earthboundcentral.com/forum/viewtop...p?f=3&t=526

Come and help out if you can! We have nearly fully translated the meteorite scene, and most PSI descriptions are translated as well. You can try out the latest version of the project, too. We could really use some help finding some control codes (especially the GOTO code) and such, so if you have some minimal experience ROM hacking, please join the team.

And even if you don't have any experience/don't want to learn how to ROM hack and still wish to help, you can become a beta tester and give us useful bug reports!

Thanks,
pranavmeno (Hacking/Translation)

I have made small amounts of progress identifying where control codes point to (in simpler terms, what text is inserted where in the game, basically I guess) in a small portion of the script. I am going to try joining the EBC team and see if we can get this translation rolling faster!

hunter291

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I voted yes, but I cant help with the hacking
frown.gif
but I still think it is a bit unrealistic to build up a team of tempers who want to spend years of their life to get a game, that we can play on the big screen and that is so hard to hack, hacked in english. I think its a good idea, but too time consuming
frown.gif

Schlupi

OP
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
hunter291 said:
I voted yes, but I cant help with the hacking
frown.gif
but I still think it is a bit unrealistic to build up a team of tempers who want to spend years of their life to get a game, that we can play on the big screen and that is so hard to hack, hacked in english. I think its a good idea, but too time consuming
frown.gif

Nobody's saying it has to be done in a year. If it has to and people are dedicated it could take longer than that, I wouldn't care. Even if the project dies it'll still leave behind useful things for other people to pick up on.

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'd love to help but i dont know any crap about hacking and editing roms so if you need a tester im here. i know it aint gonna be a while till you need me

hunter291

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
that sounds good to me
biggrin.gif
was just my opinion. but if you can build up a strong team and you make some progress, I would be very happy.

Schlupi

OP
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
DarkShinigami said:
i;d love to help but i dont know any crap about hacking and editing roms so if you need a tester im here. i know it aint gonna be a while till you need me

That;s another good thing to note. I would like to make sure it is able to be played on everything, real hardware on any flashcart, emulators for PC, PSP, DS, Dingoo, etc.

So anybody who has anything I don't have to test (or even things I do have
tongue.gif
) I welcome them.

I have everything that can play GBA, just about, besides the Dingoo or any of those handheld emulator consoles. Anybody who has one who might wanna donate it for the cause or test playing the game themselves is very welcome.

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
DarkShinigami said:
i;d love to help but i dont know any crap about hacking and editing roms so if you need a tester im here. i know it aint gonna be a while till you need me

That;s another good thing to note. I would like to make sure it is able to be played on everything, real hardware on any flashcart, emulators for PC, PSP, DS, Dingoo, etc.

So anybody who has anything I don't have to test (or even things I do have
tongue.gif
) I welcome them.

I have everything that can play GBA, just about, besides the Dingoo or any of those handheld emulator consoles. Anybody who has one who might wanna donate it for the cause or test playing the game themselves is very welcome.
then count me in on the psp and pc tester even though it'll be a ways off

also damn i'm getting tired i just mixed ' with ;

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Tomato is 100% this game stores things in vram in REALLY REALLY retarded ways. I haven't looked at how it stores its text or anything but adding a VWF could be ALOT of HAIR PULLING nights work.

Schlupi

OP
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Normmatt said:
Tomato is 100% this game stores things in vram in REALLY REALLY retarded ways. I haven't looked at how it stores its text or anything but adding a VWF could be ALOT of HAIR PULLING nights work.

As you can see, I have nothing better to do than post here on the Temp anyways late at 3 AM (Central Time). If and when this time can be used productively I will be much happier.

This project, as I said, won't be easy. I know EB has some super retarded coding but I think that at the very lest some research can't hurt, even if we can't do anything.

Schlupi

OP
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
I have looked through the script of EB and MOTHER 2 and BOY IS IT HELL.

Like, I don't even know what they were thinking!

Things in the script are ALL OVER THE PLACE. It's not like they coded the game to have it in some sort of order, shits just flying everywhere. And the control code is confusing as hell. FInding where verything is directing to is a nightmare.

Good thing is, the game's script can be found

http://starmen.net/mother2/gameinfo/script/script.txt

there and it makes a decent amount of text when it's nto all viewed in a BLOB.

The hard part before doing ANY trnaslating is making a VWF (Variable width font).

I was hoping somebody with some experience would help me (and the nonexistant team) out, but it looks like I am on my own.
frown.gif

I'll do some research on how you can do this said VWF, and what is in store for my long nights ahead....

Once I figure out that, I gotta go find where to enter the script.

These are just the first little baby steps.

I posted this topic on Startmen/EBC. I am sad nobody has come to help.
frown.gif

I guess I shouldn't have expected too much for a dying GBA scene for a programming nightmare of a game lol.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I really wish I could help here, but no experience whatsoever prevents me from being much of any use.

I hope you find a way to make this into a project you can be proud of.

Schlupi

OP
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
I know I just look like a stupid noob but I AM SLOWLY making progress. I am glad I go to school for this stuff or I would be lost.
unsure.gif

I wish a mod would put this on the front page. It would be cool for people to see this topic more, considering with such little viewing it gets the odds of this growing are slim.
unsure.gif

For any mod/mag staff reading this you think it would be possible? I would really appreciate it.

Schlupi

OP
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
twede86 said:
I am a huge mother fan and am grateful to see interest in the translation. I have very little experience with rom hacking, although I did a little with translating some GBA/GBC pokémon roms back in the day. I'll do what I can to further the project.

Here is an interesting tidbit. http://mother3.fobby.net/topsecret/

I can count you as part of the (now only research) team then.
happy.gif

I already have known about that for a long time, it's just Jeffman's preliminary work on it testing it out but he has expressed extreme disinterest in actually doing the translation now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Preservation yeah it absolutely should be legal +1