Mother 1+2 translation

Discussion in 'GBA - Game Development, ROM Hacks and Translations' started by -KangaRod-, Aug 31, 2006.

Aug 31, 2006

Mother 1+2 translation by -KangaRod- at 7:58 AM (4,230 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. -KangaRod-
    OP

Member -KangaRod- GBAtemp Fan

Canada
  2. Jon eBegood

Newcomer Jon eBegood Advanced Member

Belgium
    Ips Patch

Apply this patch on the rom with an ips patcher and abracadabra...

3. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    You got my hopes up with that post [​IMG]
    Guess i'll have to wait for snezzids to fully play mother 1

4. Orc

Member Orc ‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Hong Kong
    NOTE: Mother 1 isn't for the SNES/SFC. It was released for the Famicom and the ROM for the US prototype was ripped when it appeared sometime in eBay. (dubbed as Earthbound Zero)

Earthbound = Mother 2.

5. Squiffy

Member Squiffy GBATemp's Little Embarrassment

Ireland
    Yeah, just get pocketnes and play either the unreleased official translation (with censorship) or an unofficial translation of the NES rom.

6. Killermech

Sweden
    Oh.. I guess I can play the nes ver then... it's not like the nes graphics is much more advanced than the snes/gba versions of mother anyways (from the looks of it) [​IMG]

So it's mother 2 i've been trying to play all along on the snezzids.. nice to have some mother experts here ^^

7. kingeightsix

Member kingeightsix GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    what's mother? isn't it something like earthbound? i see pictures and reviews and people talking about it but why's it so good? what's so good about it? i don't play jap games unless it's basic and simple... don't wanna learn jap just to play a game.

8. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Yeah its what the western world calls Earthbound, its a great little RPG that has a very big following. You dont need to learn Japanese just grab Earthbound for the SNES (which is Mother 2) . Not sure if there is a PROPER english version of Mother for the NES (maybe I just played the translated rom).

It appeals to me because there isnt that many non-fantasy RPGs about (well maybe what the heck do i know?) just like Secret of Evermore appealed to me or the same reason. Nice story and plot in it too.

I really wish the 3rd game would be released on GBA, not sure if it was OFFICIALLY confirmed but I saw the odd preview in various mags and it was called Earthbound Zero.

9. -KangaRod-
    OP

Canada
    first of all, its not jap - its japanese.
    I'm quite sure you didn't intend to be offensive, but your hasty ways and using a known taboo word certainly come off as such.

Earthbound, or Mother 2 in Japan - is a fantastic RPG, if you havn't checked it out, its definitely worth it.

There is a Japanese sequal released for the GBA entitled Mother 3, and as I understand there is no intent to release it in the States, or any English speaking countries.

10. Killermech

Sweden
    Im quite offended by this, since you quoted the wrong guy [​IMG]
    Nah just jking, might want to train your mouse aiming though [​IMG]

11. bollocks

Member bollocks GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Why the bloody hell are they retranslating it? Earthbound had quite possibly the best script of any English-localised JRPG in the SNES era. And the Japanese GBA version of Mother 1 has all the censorship present in the unreleased US NES version (none of which affects gameplay in any way, I might add - it basically amounts to removing a few blood spots, a couple of cigarettes and changing crosses to something else)

12. -KangaRod-
    OP

Canada
    LoL

sorry, fixed..

13. Doink

Newcomer Doink Member

United States
    The "translated" ROM of Mother for the NES was actually completely localized by Nintendo of America, but never released due to marketing concerens. Someone bought a prototype test cartridge off Usenet that had the game still on it and dumped it, and the group that released it added the "Earthbound Zero" title screen and bypassed the copy-protection.

http://www.lostlevels.org/200407/200407-earthbound.shtml

14. kingeightsix

Member kingeightsix GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    i'm very sorry. i've dated a japanese girl before and she did mention that it was offensive but she didn't mind... i'm sorry, i was just very used to it. i'm a vietnamese myself and i'm just used to hearing the term 'viet' & that saying 'jap'anese didn't seem offensive to me.

and thanks everyone... i'm gonna try it out now... hopefully i find a nice engrish version of it.

15. Inu268

Member Inu268 woof

Brazil
    earthbound zero is actually mother 1 for nes, and the third game, mother 3, is out for the gba....
    stop smoking pot dude, really