Most wii games show up as Wii Sys Update

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by muzzaml, Oct 6, 2009.

Oct 6, 2009
  1. muzzaml
    OP

Newcomer muzzaml Newbie

Canada
    Hi all, just a little thing I'm worried about. I upgraded my 3.3u to 4.1u using the offline method described herein: http://www.ps3news.com/forums/wii-news/ult...usb-107159.html

I kept this update for a few weeks, and everything went smoothly. A few days back I installed the Gamecube Backup launcher. As for the MIOS, I installed the v4, and in such a way so as to allow me to run GC backups form anywhere(Disc channel, wii backup launcher, GCbackuplauncher...etc.)

Yesterday, I got a backup of strikers charged for PAL wii. It showed up in the disc channel as a wii system update, which I felt was odd, considering that a PAL Cooking Mama backup didn't show up at all in the disc channel. Nevertheless, I played the game with the backup launcher, and it played with no hassle. Now, yesterday, I popped My Brawl and Galaxy disks, and they showed up as wii sys Update, despite them playing without an update before installing the GCBackupLauncher!! Wii sports shows up as normal, though I suppose this is because it had no update, and the same applies for PBR.
    I think that this problem arose as a result of installing the GCbackupLauncher, Because I didn't make any other major changes. For now, I will boot the games through Gecko OS, and Install Startpatch, but I would like to know WHY this is happening, and if possible, fix it.

TIA
    Muzzaml

2. Sir VG

Member Sir VG GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Generally a lot of games install individual IOS files that have nothing to do with the System Menu IOS. When you installed GCBackupLauncher, it could by chance have downgraded an IOS. Either that, or it turned off a function that tells the Wii not to look for updates.

BTW, if you don't have preloader installed, install it and there's an option in there to turn off the function to look for system updates on Wii Discs.

3. xfcrowman

Member xfcrowman GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It probably has to do with the cMIOS version. If you have the most current IOS's and system menu, but your bc/MIOS are not similarly updated, then the disc will prompt you for an update. The best way to prevent the issues with disc updates is to use either preloader or startpatch, which both have update blockers. Read up on them, decide which one works best for you, install and then enable the skip disc update hack and you'll be good to go.

4. muzzaml
    OP

Newcomer muzzaml Newbie

Canada
    Thanks guys, i actually had preloader before but took it off since it kept my wiis disk drive on all night. I installed startpatch and it worked like a breeze! [​IMG] plus,it doesn't have a bootscreen when i turn on my wii that i'll probably never really use...

5. mattjd

Member mattjd GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Preloader is an anti brick programme I recommend you keep it...

You dont have to have the menu pop up on every boot just go into the settings and set the autoboot to system menu.

The constant spin only happens if you have wii connect 24 on just turn it off it doesnt do much...