Hacking Most things you can put on a single powered external usb drive/size limit? 2020 edition.

OO804

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry for not searching.

I know it's old old question, but this question has had many opinions throughout the years, and opinion has changed, on here and reddit, old threads from 2016 are probably not relevant, and now the dust has settled,

I just want to get a big hd like 8 tb with its own power and put everything I can on it full collections, wii u, wii, gc, arcade, emu.

Is this possible with one drive, from what I read, 2tb partition for wii u, the rest of drive for others? bypass the menu slot limit with loadline?

any recent links about which hdd brands and what size clusters/partitions/formatting are appreciated.

D

Deleted User

I'm pretty sure the size limit is 2 TB, you can't use the hard drive for ANYTHING else though, there's no such thing as different partitions with a Wii U hard drive the Wii U format will format it and it will take the entire hard drive over regardless of size, no way around it. You can inject Wii and GC games with Wii U games on the main menu though. If you want Wii/GC games to work on vWii you would have to use a 2nd hard drive.

There's also a limit of 300 games that can be on the Wii U menu, and subtract about 8 or 9 from that because there's Wii U icons that come with the system that can't be deleted and those actually count. So you can have a total of only 291 or 292 games. Doesn't matter how small or big they are. Your goal of having every single Wii, every single GC game and every single Wii U game.. it's not possible.

I don't really know about arcade games never messed with arcade on Wii U but I'm not sure they will work on a Wii U formatted hard drive. I don't think they can but I could be wrong.

So a lot of your plan is not possible.

Last edited by ,

OO804

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm pretty sure the size limit is 2 TB. You can inject Wii and GC games with Wii U games on the main menu though. If you want Wii/GC games to work on vWii you would have to use a 2nd hard drive.

I
I'm pretty sure the size limit is 2 TB. You can inject Wii and GC games with Wii U games on the main menu though. If you want Wii/GC games to work on vWii you would have to use a 2nd hard drive.

There's also a limit of 300 games that can be on the Wii U menu, and subtract about 8 or 9 from that because there's Wii U icons that come with the system that can't be deleted and those actually count. So you can have a total of only 291 or 292 games. Doesn't matter how small or big they are. I'm assuming since you want to use an 8 TB you're thinking of having every single Wii, every single GC game and every single Wii U game.. it's not possible.

I don't really know about arcade games never messed with arcade on Wii U but I'm not sure they will work on a Wii U formatted hard drive.

I thought you can format half the drive to be wii u and the rest homebrew like fba and emu and gc and stuff.

I have read about the 2tb limit, but then I read anecdotes about people saying they got 4tb working etc, but that was from a while ago, I was wondering if things had changed, I guess I'll do some research.

D

Deleted User

I

I thought you can format half the drive to be wii u and the rest homebrew like fba and emu and gc and stuff.

Absolutely false. You can inject Wii/GC on to the hard drive though with the Wii VC Injector. There's no way to have multiple partitions period. The Wii U will format the ENTIRE drive. You can't even plug it into a PC with in trying to format it to PC.

Last edited by ,

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah i have a 1TB absolutely loaded Wii/GC ect ect i think 2TB is over kill as i kept 15 free on mine and i was really struggling to find any last things to add i have around 100 Wii 1 Games about 100 Gamecube Games all the WIIU top games about 100 i guess ...and alot of random tittles one i like remember the 300 Title Limit ... which annoys me on consoles ps vita inc you can actually get past this on 3DS ....... and as of yet we cant play films on wiiu so that extra 1TB .. what can be added>? ... also my SD Card is a 64 gig mostly filled with Retro roms for the emulators on WIIU ............still with loads of free space ,, i was always hoping to fill it with PSP games but PPSSPP on wiiu hasnt had a update ( as far as i know atm ) and ppsspp on wiiu was still WIP so most games ran badly or not at all .....

Last edited by SuperDan,
D

Deleted User

Yeah i have a 1TB absloutely loaded Wii/GC ect ect i think 2TB is over kill as i kept 15 free on mine and i was really struggling to find any last things to add i have around 100 Wii 1 Games about 100 Gamecube Games all the WIIU top games about 100 i guess ...and alot of random littles one i like remember the 300 Title Limit ... which annoys me on consoles ps vita inc ..... and as of yet we cant play films on wiiu so that extra 1TB .. what can be added>? ... also my SD Card is a 64 gig mostly filled with Retro roms for the emulators on WIIU ............still with loads of free space ,, i was always hoping to fill it with PSP games but PPSSPP on wiiu hasnt had a update ( as far as i know atm ) and ppsspp on wiiu was still WIP so most games ran badly or not at all .....

Yeah OP wants every single game Wii U, WIi and GC on one hard drive. It's not possible. Limit is 291 or 292 games total on the Wii U menu and you can't make partitions on a Wii U formatted hard drive.

You could use one for the 292 games and a 2nd for vWii/GC and they would be on the vWii. That's all you can do.

Because of the 292 game limit even if you could use an 8 TB it would be a huge waste of space because it would only be 1 partition 292 game limit applies.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: SuperDan

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah OP wants every single game Wii U, WIi and GC on one hard drive. It's not possible. Limit is 291 or 292 games total on the Wii U menu and you can't make partitions on a Wii U formatted hard drive.

You could use one for the 292 games and a 2nd for vWii/GC and they would be on the vWii. That's all you can do.
i guess he could use Nintendont on vwii using a large SD Card ....... or WiiFlow ..... ...USB Loader theres also that trick to make the HD more stable which was a bit mad it was as it was offical hidden trick by Nintendo ...

Reactions: Deleted User

OO804

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Because of the 292 game limit even if you could use an 8 TB it would be a huge waste of space because it would only be 1 partition 292 game limit applies.

Can wii u see two external drives along with its internal? like if I had them in a dual powered enclosure one for wii u and one for vWii/GC/emu?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never tried partitioning a drive, but I think you can with wii/gc as well as ps3 stuff. iirc, the 360 will allow you to partition a drive (you have to set it up to partition x number of mega/gigabytes), but afaik the wii u is all or nothing. I do have my sd card with a lot of cube games. normally, I just back up all content to a large drive (10TBs in my case), then use a smaller drive for the system. that way you save yourself from a drive failing.

D

Deleted User

Can wii u see two external drives along with its internal? like if I had them in a dual powered enclosure one for wii u and one for vWii/GC/emu?

I don't know about dual powered enclosure never used one of those but you can have one formatted to the Wii U (292 game limit applies) and another formatted to vwii/gc/vwii emu. You could not use Wii U emu on that vwii hard drive though. You would need to use ustealth to have both plugged in at once and normally need y-cables so two ports go in the back for one two ports go in the front for the other.

OO804

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah i have a 1TB absolutely loaded Wii/GC ect ect i think 2TB is over kill as i kept 15 free on mine and i was really struggling to find any last things to add i have around 100 Wii 1 Games about 100 Gamecube Games all the WIIU top games about 100 i guess ...and alot of random tittles one i like remember the 300 Title Limit ... which annoys me on consoles ps vita inc you can actually get past this on 3DS ....... and as of yet we cant play films on wiiu so that extra 1TB .. what can be added>? ... also my SD Card is a 64 gig mostly filled with Retro roms for the emulators on WIIU ............still with loads of free space ,, i was always hoping to fill it with PSP games but PPSSPP on wiiu hasnt had a update ( as far as i know atm ) and ppsspp on wiiu was still WIP so most games ran badly or not at all .....

Yea I know it's overkill, I guess it's just a completionist thing I want to do, I was going to load it up and sell it, then I thought, if I'm going to put all that effort to make it so nice I might as well keep it for myself as I don't play modern games anyway.

Last edited by OO804,

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I reckon it could ................. for sure i just never did myself there was a time 3 years ago when i did mine and i had a HD ..plus a usb with different games on them and all was fine no issues ..& i simply got my 1TB & everything on there

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

yes, but either use ustealth, a toggle switch (off when in wii u mode), or don't plug in the drive 'til on the vwii. two drives are supposed to be for copying content from one drive to another. that's the official reason for it, so it will try to format the second drive if it detects it.

D

Deleted User

I don't know that a dual powered enclosure can be seen as two different hard drives. Not an expert on that, but doesn't seem likely it would be possible.

OO804

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yes, but either use ustealth, a toggle switch (off when in wii u mode), or don't plug in the drive 'til on the vwii. two drives are supposed to be for copying content from one drive to another. that's the official reason for it, so it will try to format the second drive if it detects it.

thanks, I think I'll do it like that then.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you mean to plug one drive in at a time for wii u, it will work, but the sorting will not save. I think it's caused by the barista file, which so happens to be the same file with the 292 game limit.

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea I know it's overkill, I guess it's just a completionist thing I want to do, I was going to load it up and sell it, then I thought, if I'm going to put all that efort make it so nice I might as well keep it for myself.
i would have myself at the time the WIIU is pretty amazing one hacked and loaded if you are a nintendo fanboy like myself .... but for me the icon limit killed that dream and i simply had everything i wanted with 1TB ..... but if the icon limit was passable i would have added a load more crap to my system as im a game hoarder lol

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i would have myself at the time the WIIU is pretty amazing one hacked and loaded if you are a nintendo fanboy like myself .... but for me the icon limit killed that dream and i simply had everything i wanted with 1TB ..... but if the icon limit was passable i would have added a load more crap to my system as im a game hoarder lol

there are two ways around it, but they're kinda a pita. one: you can make multiple profiles each with their own barista. each profile will have that 292 game limit. another option is system config tool. there is no limit with it, but it's just a long list of games, so it's not as aesthetically pleasing.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

btw, there's an app (never used it) that can sort content alphabetically, and I'm pretty sure it even works in folders in case you try a third option: multiple hdds/flash drives. it was still in experimental stage from what I remember, but a lot of people claimed it worked for them. one might compare the wii u to the vita in that it's one hell of an emulation station, and removing the hdd/sd card forces a rebuild of the database. that's why it doesn't save the games. it's possible to have the same page/position for a game on the vita, but either only one (not sure how it's determined) shows up or neither shows up. the wii u probably has something like that in the barista file, which I think is its indexer.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

alright, here's that app I mentioned: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-menu-sort.455132/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1