Most reliable USB Loader

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Cpt-DS, Jun 4, 2009.

Jun 4, 2009

Most reliable USB Loader by Cpt-DS at 10:31 AM (3,594 Views / 0 Likes) 22 replies

1. Cpt-DS
    OP

Newcomer Cpt-DS Member

Portugal
    Hey,

I was wondering which USB loader is the most reliable and safe to be installed on a new Wii (It will probably have the LU64 serial number), since I'm buying a new one for the homebrew channel. Oh and it also has to be one that doesnt screw with the Hackmii installer beta 2.

Thanks.

2. misteromar

Member misteromar GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I dunno about new wii's, but I use the offical 1.5 version, all the rest are the same thing with the interface modded and tend be more clitchy etc. The normal one works all the time for me.

3. m00k

Newcomer m00k Advanced Member

United States
    NeoGamma R3
    Beardfaces Coverfloader
    Hiberns Wiiflow beta

Ive used all of these and not a had a problem, however i dont think i have an lu64 wii.

Best advice is try them, your not going to break anything by giving them ago.

4. Cpt-DS
    OP

Newcomer Cpt-DS Member

Portugal
    I've been reading and I think coverfloader isnt exactly the best option, I've never heard of the other 2 lol. The problem is that if my Wii gets bricked theres no turning back (there is actually but you know what i mean) since i'm a n00b at this. [​IMG]

@misteromar:
    What do you mean by official 1.5 loader? waninkokos or whats his name (he's a god btw lol)?

5. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    if you are this new to the scene you should not install any channel apart from the HBC. Just run the usb loaders thru the hbc and you will be safe.
    And u can use usbloadergx for example.. don't use the official waninkoko ones they're quite limited

6. Cpt-DS
    OP

Newcomer Cpt-DS Member

Portugal
    So... Do I have to download them and stick them on the SD card or is it already included with the HBC v.1.0.3? [​IMG]
    I suck at this... Flashcards for the DS are so much easier than this. [​IMG]

7. Servdogg

Member Servdogg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    hiburn's coverflow is really good, and USB Loader GX works well for me too.

8. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    You will use HackMii to install the Homebrew channel. Once that's set up on your Wii you will need to put the USB loader program in
    SD:/apps/*nameofloader*/boot.dol
    Most downloads spell it out pretty clear how to put it on your SD card. Nothing comes preinstalled with HBC, You need something in that /apps/ folder. I'd suggest downloading the Homebrew Browser, your USB Loader, and WadManager 1.4. Everything else you could want installed in the Homebrew Channel can then be installed by way of the Homebrew Browser, unless your Wii is not connected to the internet, in which case you'll need to install everything manually.

I wouldn't suggest installing a channel for a USB loader unless it's a "Forwarder" channel, which doesn't hold the program itself but rather you can think of it like a shortcut on your desktop to a program. It's just easier to update your loader that way when updates come out. Installing the integrated channel is more of a pain to keep updated. Even if you don't install a forwarder channel it's not a big deal to go into the HBC to load your USB loader.

9. manias

Netherlands
    download the latest loader (on the form of a .dol), rename that to boot.dol, make a folder on your memstick in /apps/
    so for example /apps/gx/boot.dol is yer final location.. and then HBC will see it!

10. Cpt-DS
    OP

Newcomer Cpt-DS Member

Portugal
    Thanks alot Servdogg, Hooya and manias, i really appreciated your help! Just to finish this off, what exactly is the wadmanager and whats the latest version of the usb loader? I've seen plenty of them all with diferent schemes and from diferent creators but I was kind of lost thanks to that, too much offer leads me to insanity. lol

Once again, thanks for the help guys! [​IMG]

11. Servdogg

Member Servdogg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Wad manager is a program you use to install and delete things on your wii such as channels, vc games and cIOSs. If you choose to install channels at all you should get preloader so you can recover from most bricks easily. That way a bad wad doesn't brick your wii.

As is already implied there are many different variations of USB loaders floating around. If you find a post by blind dude and click on his signiture where it says "blind dudes junk" or something, you can find new and stable versions of the USB loader GX and hiburns coverflow, as well as links to boxarts so you can pimp them out. Its a good place to start at least.

Also to use the USB loaders you probably need to install cIOS rev9 or rev10. At least these are the ones that work the best for me with GX and coverflow.

12. Empyr69er

Member Empyr69er GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Dude, once you get the HBC channel installed head over to this forum and learn. READ THE STICKIES!

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showforum=190

its the backup loader forum. check out usbloader gx, coverflow by beard face, and the new title menu loader(this ones gonna be the next big thing!).

13. franky86

Newcomer franky86 Advanced Member

United States
    i use wanikoko's original 1.5 version to rip games, install, remove and test to make sure games work. i dont have a channel for it and access it via homebrew channel.

but then i have a channel directed to a copy of beardface's coverflow with all the options hidden and child protection on. thats what my girlfriend and kids use to play games, but they cant modify anything in it.

most of the usb loaders now all work great, but i like to stick with the original when it comes to install/removing games just 'cause' i KNOW it works.

14. Cpt-DS
    OP

Newcomer Cpt-DS Member

Portugal
    Thanks for the tip.

I really just want to do the least of hacking to run game isos from my region (PAL) and I'm being a pain in the ass because if I get it wrong then I'm screwed. [​IMG]

15. manias

Netherlands
    no, preloader is not necessary, read about what it does and decide yourself
    bootmii would be a good idea tho (u can make a full backup of your wii with that)

16. Cpt-DS
    OP

Newcomer Cpt-DS Member

Portugal
    Well I think i'm going to use the hackmii installer beta 2 and it features this:

I just need to get the wadmanager 1.4 one of the usb loaders and i guess i'm set. Right? [​IMG]

17. manias

Netherlands
    wadmanager 1.4 is only needed if ur gonna install VC games (channels), not for usbloader

18. Cpt-DS
    OP

Newcomer Cpt-DS Member

Portugal
    Oh... [​IMG] By the way I can only find forwarders, can i use these with the HBC or are these the ones that i need to install in order to appear on the wii menu?... [​IMG]

Oh and i completly forgot, I might use this to run emulators (snes, nes, etc) is there any pre-requisits or app that i need to install in order to get them to work?

19. supagusti

Member supagusti GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    no prereqs for running emus. Just one thing:
    If you like to store your roms for the emus on the usb disk make sure, that the partition you use is the first, a primary and fat32 formatted. You can't change that without deleting the whole disk, once you have a wbfs partition on your disk filled with many games ....

20. Cpt-DS
    OP

Newcomer Cpt-DS Member

Portugal
    I've been doing some research and ive endend up finding something called Softmii 3.0. Is this any better than Hackmii beta 2 and does it work with new Wii's (serial codes LU64/LU65).
    If you happen to have the link to download it please post that aswell because I can't seem to find it anywhere. [​IMG]

Thanks once again. [​IMG]