Most memorable of last gen?

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Lali ho!

Been having a rather heated discussion with a few friends about 'legendary' games. We all know that some games have withstood the test of time or are memorable for one reason or another. More or less everyone here will have played games like Super Mario World, Ocarina of Time, the original Sonic, etc. The games that we look back on from our younger days and remember as defining moments in gaming, whether good or bad.

But here's the crux of the discussion. We've been talking about what games from this now ending generation (PS3, 360, etc.) that we'll look back on as fondly. They don't necessarily need to be the absolute highest quality, they don't have to have the flashiest graphics or whatever, any criteria are fair game provided they can be adequately explained. The range of opinions has been genuinely staggering so far.

For example, the games I'll likely look back on in ten years or so and still think highly of is the Mass Effect trilogy. I can't think of a single thing they did wrong, frankly. The scale was beyond anything I'd played before, the characters felt believable to an extent that I'd not encountered, the galaxy felt alive and rich with history. It had everything you could ask for. Even when the gameplay was mostly generic 3rd person cover based shooting, the depth of its world kept me coming back, even to this day.

The wife, on the other hand, favours remembering the original Modern Warfare, arguing that while the gaming scene could certainly do without a lot of the 'bro' crowd that gives it a bad name, the impact of the game can't be denied and it pushed the genre to a new plateau, the mindfuck ending, etc. She doesn't consider it perfect by any means, but she acknowledges that we'll still remember it in years to come even if we hated it.

What games from the 7th Gen will you look back on in the future and remember? What makes them stick in your mind? Do you value games for powerhouse graphics, deep character development, shocking moments, or perhaps just how much time you sunk into the multiplayer? What do you consider the 'legends' of the previous generation? Any game is valid provided you can explain it, whether it's from a console, handheld or PC, provided it's a part of the last gen.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
gaming-the-last-of-us-cover-art.jpg

Dem feels Bro. Dem tender feels.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't played much of the last gen, but these are what I played and consider "legendary":

Red Dead Redemption (PS3) Best Far West game I've ever played. I have enjoyed every part of the story and how you could do everything you wanted.
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn (Wii) Best Fire Emblem story ever. Nothing can ever top what they did there. The story is just... wow. 10/10 + 1 point if you played Path of Radiance before this (it's a sequel).
The Stick of Truth (PS3/360/PC) My personal GOTY of 2014. As a humor game, it's one of the greatest. As a fan of the show, it's a perfect game.
Rayman Origins (PS3/360/PC/Wii/Vita -screw the 3DS version-) The best 2D platform of that gen. They kicked out those stupid rabbids and made Rayman a star again
Saints Row IV (PS3/360/PC) My personal GOTY of 2013. The best third person sandbox game I've ever played. It was filled with game breaking bugs when it came out, but now it's playable.
Portal 2 (PC) Best original idea of a puzzle game ever.

Honorable mentions:

Madworld (Wii) Best...uhm...chainsaw'em up game ever? For a Wii user, this game is memorable because it goes against all the kid-friendly stuff that the console was well-known for. Only problem: it was released on full price even if the main story was no longer than 3 hours.
Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (DS) This game was revolutionary: 3D overworld, Internet and the ability to play wherever you wanted since the DS had backlit screens (yes, the GBA SP was released before that, but it was not backlit and it didn't have a headphone jack), and you could put the DS on standby instead of saving immediately (never had a problem with this, so hush).
42 All-Time Classics (DS) All-in-One game done right, with a vast variety of classic games and the ability to play online (no one did though ;( )
Call of Duty 4 (PC/?) I don't think that the franchise was anything special until this title came out. Outstanding story and it made the bases for the most famous Activision franchise ever (deal with it)

Stuff that I will remember alone: Solatorobo (DS) proud furtard; Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: EoS (DS) nobody expected a story LIKE THAT in a Pokémon game; Symphony (PC) a mix between bullet hell and music, 10/10.

As soon as I play more of what happened during the last decade I might expand this.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii - brawl spent hundreds of hours into playing adventure mode and brawls, NBA jam really fun and lots of modes for a sports game, Mario supper sluggers spent a lot of time doing matches
Ds- Pokemon diamond as I spent near 400hrs, Pokemon conquest a great game that got me into strategy games, Custom robo real fun game that is very underated.
Ps3- little big planet a great game I played with my sister, all 4 one played with my sister and loved it, Lego batman was fun to play for a long while with my sister

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Demon's Souls/Dark Souls/Dark Souls 2. Ever since I've played the Souls games I haven't found any other action game's combat system as good as the Souls, and just the general quality of the Souls games in general has ruined other games for me. I imagine I'll still be playing Dark Souls 2's PvP for a long time, unless they fix Bloodborne's shitty PvP or introduce Dark Souls 3.

Reactions: chavosaur

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
GRID - Such good times racing and talking online
RDR - Playing in teams and talking to other members was pretty awesome
GTA IV - Free for all online and getting caught by the police

I wish I could go back to the GRID days.. I miss that.

popokakapetu

Trophies
XP
Country
PS3/X360 : Fianl Fantasy 13(yeah my first ff) Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
DS:Pokemon series???
Wii:Xenoblade Chronicles,SMG1-2,Paper Mario
PS1:Crash,Spyro,Gran Turismo.....

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
PS3/X360 : Fianl Fantasy 13(yeah my first ff) Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
DS:Pokemon series???
Wii:Xenoblade Chronicles,SMG1-2,Paper Mario
PS1:Crash,Spyro,Gran Turismo.....

Right now I'm playing Spyro 1 of 3 and it's a really good game but it's just about collecting gems, save the dragons and move to the next world. Kinda like Mario games go from point A to point B. Very entertaining nevertheless.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Deus Ex: Human Resolution, Demon's Souls, Fallout: New Vegas, No More Heroes 1&2, Syndicate (I don't care about the review scores, the game was tits), Phoenix Wright series, The Last of Us, Monster Hunter series... hmm... I'll have to think about some more titles.

Reactions: matpower

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
I'll name only the best or two(if I think are tied) games from each console I played.
Wii: The Last Story and The Legend of Zelda: SS.
PS3: Tales of Xillia 2.
X360: Tales of Vesperia.
PSP: God Eater Burst and Persona 3 Portable.
DS: Pokemon White.
Multi: Borderlands 2(played PC) and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories(played PSP).

Honorable mentions to Ratchet&Clank:ACiT, inFamous 2, Bioshock Infinite, Solatorobo, Rayman Origins(liked it more than Legends. without taking in account Barbara, she make it worth it) and Another Code: Two Memories/R.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gears Of War 2 - awesome story, fantastic multiplayer, awesome game

Halo 3- the end of one of the greatest trilogies I have ever played in my life. One of the most moving, fantastic stories I've played, great multiplayer, and probably my most memorable experience.

Halo Reach - A true surprise to Halo fans, this was the epitome of Halo Multiplayer, and had a really fun story as well.

The Last Of Us - The only reason I owned a PS3 for a short time, and was absolutely worth buying the console for. It was gorgeous, it was moving, it was all around amazing.

And last but not least, what I still believe is the greatest experience anyone can have of last gen

Bioshock - it tested boundaries with the most plot twisting, dark, enchanting, horrific reality of an underwater world with more immersion and depth to it than anything I had played in a long fucking time. I played the game with goosebumps the entire time, and can proudly claim that I have every achievement in the game, including playing the game without ever using a checkpoint.

Absolutely fantastic experiences.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, Last of Us, Geras of War, Tomb Raider, Rayman Origins, Phoenix Wright,
999, Professor Layton series, Blue Dragon(X360)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
    AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78: Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit...