Hacking Most likely getting a CycloDS but ...

Shinjiko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi I am the owner of an R4 card. The old version with the spring and what not. Anyway I am starting to get annoyed with the lack of updates and features with the R4. I am happy that it plays all my games but would like the Wii connectivity and GBA support with slot 2. I was wondering before I buy a CycloDS. Are there any signs of a new one coming out because I don't want to buy it only for a newer, better model to come out a few weeks later? Also how are the contacts on the Cyclo? My R4 sometimes gives me trouble getting my ds to recognise it, I personally think it's my DS since it works in all my friend's ones without trouble. I have had the R4 for about a year now. I will be buying the Cyclo for GBA support also with a 3 in 1. I was wondering if the 3 in 1 is the best choice or should I go for something like the EZ Flash IV Lite? I understand all technical features and things so is the Cyclo the cart for me or is the SC1 a better option?

Oh and my friend wants me to get them a flash card too. They really want it to play games only. I offered them my R4 but they said they want a newer one so which card would you suggest for them. They need one with a simple menu that is easy to navigate since they don't understand all technical stuff. I have been looking at DSTT and EDGE and possible iTouch. I'm unsure however which one to get her. I want your opinions on the best ones for her from DealExtreme that come bundled with MicroSD cards since they don't have any, where as I already have a 2GB one.

Sorry about all the questions I just wanted help and to make sure before I bought anything. Also do you all think i'm foolish buying a new flash card when I have a perfect working one already?

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Shinjiko said:
Are there any signs of a new one coming out because I don't want to buy it only for a newer, better model to come out a few weeks later?
No company that likes making money would tell people about that in advance. That would be like saying "please don't buy our products for a while". If they do release a new slot 1 cart they will probably make a big announcement the same day it ships out to the stores.

Shinjiko said:
Also how are the contacts on the Cyclo?
Pretty much the same as the other flashcarts. More problematic than official game paks, but generally not too bad.

Shinjiko said:
I will be buying the Cyclo for GBA support also with a 3 in 1. I was wondering if the 3 in 1 is the best choice or should I go for something like the EZ Flash IV Lite?
The only thing that the EZ-IV Lite has to offer over the 3-in-1 is its own memory card slot, and with the Evolution's SDHC support that really won't help much. The 3-in-1 also has the advantage that the Evo supports it directly, so you can select a GBA game from the Evo's menu and launch it just like a DS game. In addition to that, the Evo has added automatic SRAM patching in the latest beta loader, so GBA games are drag & drop just like DS games.

QUOTE(Shinjiko @ Jul 5 2008, 06:26 PM) I understand all technical features and things so is the Cyclo the cart for me or is the SC1 a better option?
I believe the Evo is the only cart with full Wii connectivity for the Pokemon games (I think the other games that have Wii connectivity work on any flashcart), so if that really matters to you then the SCDS1 isn't an option.

QUOTE(Shinjiko @ Jul 5 2008, 06:26 PM)
Oh and my friend wants me to get them a flash card too. They really want it to play games only. I offered them my R4 but they said they want a newer one so which card would you suggest for them. They need one with a simple menu that is easy to navigate since they don't understand all technical stuff. I have been looking at DSTT and EDGE and possible iTouch. I'm unsure however which one to get her. I want your opinions on the best ones for her from DealExtreme that come bundled with MicroSD cards since they don't have any, where as I already have a 2GB one.
I'd say the Evo or the Edge. The Edge basically copies the Evo's design, but it doesn't have the neat-o features like real time saves and built in 3-in-1 support. DealExtreme is carrying the Evo now for about $36, so there isn't really any reason not to get her one of those. As for the memory card, get one somewhere else if DX doesn't have a bundle deal. Bundle deals are rarely much cheaper than getting the cart and the memory card seperately, and DX doesn't have great prices on the memory cards.

Shinjiko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the response. I was just about to order the CycloDS when I saw a post in their official forums stating that quite a few users have experienced MicroSD card bricking and they all think it is a result of the Cyclo. I don't want to buy it only to have it break my MicroSD. What are your views on this? Also when I said about a new one I meant do any of you think there will be one coming out? I understand that no company would say anything about that.

As for the slot 2 device. So would everyone here recommend the 3 in 1 over the EZ Flash IV Lite? Since it's only advantage is a card slot.

And for my friend, after reading the Cyclo Forums I think that a Cyclo may be too complicated for her to use if anything went wrong. When I say she doesn't understand things too well like that I mean it lol. She's more of a music person than a technology person. I personally think my R4 would be perfect for her since if anything goes wrong a simple restart usually fixes it. But she's all stubborn and wants a new card and a new R4 is just too pricey compared to other cards now.

Thanks again for the help
happy.gif

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't read the Team Cyclops forums myself, but I haven't noticed an unusual number of people here having memory card failures with the Evo. That sort of thing happens with every flashcart, I wouldn't let it discourage me from buying an Evo unless it was a confirmed problem.

I don't see any reason why Team Cyclops would release a new flashcart at this point. There aren't many features that any other flashcart has that the Evo doesn't, and there are none that couldn't be added to the Evo with a software update.

The Evo is not much more complicated to use than the R4. The only thing that is more complicated is that the Evo actually has a settings screen. Aside from that, I'd say the Evo is actually easier to use, because updating it is simpler, and all the special features are accessed through an in-game menu rather than blind button combinations.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Thanks for the response. I was just about to order the CycloDS when I saw a post in their official forums stating that quite a few users have experienced MicroSD card bricking and they all think it is a result of the Cyclo. I don't want to buy it only to have it break my MicroSD. What are your views on this? Also when I said about a new one I meant do any of you think there will be one coming out? I understand that no company would say anything about that.

The CycloDS does not brick MicroSDs. It is the included reader that could brick the card. However, this was only a problem with the old Transflash MicroSD readers. If you buy a Cyclo now you won't get the bad reader. Keep in mind that not caring for your MicroSD, such as taking it out of your computer without Safely Removing it can also lead to lost data and bricking.

QUOTE said:
As for the slot 2 device. So would everyone here recommend the 3 in 1 over the EZ Flash IV Lite? Since it's only advantage is a card slot.

The CycloDS team officially supports the 3 in 1 so I suggest you choose it over other slot 2 devices.

And for my friend, after reading the Cyclo Forums I think that a Cyclo may be too complicated for her to use if anything went wrong. When I say she doesn't understand things too well like that I mean it lol. She's more of a music person than a technology person. I personally think my R4 would be perfect for her since if anything goes wrong a simple restart usually fixes it. But she's all stubborn and wants a new card and a new R4 is just too pricey compared to other cards now.

Thanks again for the help
happy.gif

The CycloDS is the most user friendly flash cart there is. The only complicated things are extra features such as Moonshell or real-time save. Otherwise it's just drag and drop, and the GUI is much easier to navigate than other cards'.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)