Gaming Most game tiles on one cartridge?

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So when I got the physical release of the Atelier Dusk Trilogy, I was interested to see the way it presented the games to you was as three separate titles, instead of the compilation cartridges of old. I remember having Sonic Advance and Sonic Pinball with the cute menu to pick between them lol.

I received my copy of the Atelier Mysterious Trilogy today, and was pretty surprised to see not three, but six tiles appear on my main menu! One for each game, with each game coming with a separate digital art book title.

That got me thinking, are there any cartridges out there with more than six titles? Is there really a use case for such a thing?

Reactions: lordelan

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't think of any that have more than 6..... unless you include those "compilation" games, like Namco Museum, anyway.
Oh do those games actually appear as tiles? Or are they like a more traditional compilation where it's just one game title with many games lurking within?

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh do those games actually appear as tiles? Or are they like a more traditional compilation where it's just one game title with many games lurking within?

The latter. It's pretty much just a compilation of older games - boot up the disc / cartridge, choose from a list of games and play.

You can see some footage of the DS variant here, by skipping to 2:40:

I don't personally know of any other game that installs the icons right onto the home screen, vs launching them from inside the game. You might've hit gold with 6 titles in that Atelier collection lol.

Reactions: Scarlet

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
At least Guilty Gear had two separate titles as well. Honestly I highly prefer this instead of one title that throws you onto a selection screen like Icewind Dale for example.
Or the stupid Mario 3D All Stars Collection.
If it had separate titles I could've deleted only SM64 right away since I'm playing the community source port V8 anyway. I understand that a menu is nice to provide more game info and music player fancy sh*t though.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
At least Guilty Gear had two separate titles as well. Honestly I highly prefer this instead of one title that throws you onto a selection screen like Icewind Dale for example.
Or the stupid Mario 3D All Stars Collection.
If it had separate titles I could've deleted only SM64 right away since I'm playing the community source port V8 anyway. I understand that a menu is nice to provide more game info and music player fancy sh*t though.
On paper it's a great idea, but in reality you can't delete the tiles. Every time you put the cartridge in, all six reappear, and you can't remove tiles for cartridge games when you have the cart in lol.

Reactions: lordelan

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
On paper it's a great idea, but in reality you can't delete the tiles. Every time you put the cartridge in, all six reappear, and you can't remove tiles for cartridge games when you have the cart in lol.
Without CFW: True.
With CFW: Dump the cartridge and install it. You don't need the cartridge afterwards thus it won't recreate the tiles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.