Most embarrassing anime you've ever watched?

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by Saturosias, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Saturosias
    OP

Saturosias Sakura-sō Resident

Dec 27, 2010
    United States
    I recently finished watching (at my own peril) Highschool DxD* and Senran Kagura, and I'd have to say there's so little plot and so much plot I'm quite frankly embarrassed to have continued either of them past the opening. Any animes you guys & gals have watched you'd prefer nobody else knew about?

*Seriously, your main weapon is a dress-destroyer, and the only reason you're still alive is because your big-breasted opponents are too embarrassed to keep fighting?

2. UltraMew

UltraMew GBATemp's Mew PRETENDING TO BE FOXI4 4 A DAY

Banned
    Aug 7, 2013
    United States
    Flying a blue hedgehog around
    Pokémon

3. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    To Love Ru falls into this embarrassing category too. Worst harem I have seen so far is IS: Infinite Stratos.

You haven't seen the second season of HIghschool DxD, it gets even more crazy than dress break.

4. Saturosias
    OP

Saturosias Sakura-sō Resident

Dec 27, 2010
    United States
    Sadly, due to OCD, I'm probably bound to eventually :| heh.

5. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Space Battleship Yamato. I was in my high school's Japanese club and my Japanese teacher (awesome dude by the way), had it in his collection, but he never actually watched it, so we decided to try it out. First five minutes, my teacher utters out, "What the hell is this?!" and we immediately changed to another anime. The animation was horrible, even for the 70's, not to mention the voice acting was atrocious. Yeah, no way I could stomach that anime. I felt embarrassed for everyone in the room. :P

Ah and the ever infamous Pom Poko, the story about tanuki's who try to scare humans away (from environmental destruction, urbanization), by using their *ahem* well-endowed assets. I admit, I laughed at the sheer ridiculousness, but I felt so dirty lol.

6. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    They've been completely remaking Space Battleship Yamato pretty good now. The first season finished airing in Japan not too long ago

7. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

I'll be damned. I'll give it another shot, but avoid the old version and the "movie" (or rather, 2-hour special) it's bad :D

8. TheJeweler

TheJeweler Connoisseur of the Fistic Arts

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2013
    United States
    Of every anime I have ever seen, the most embarrassing would have to be High school of the Dead. All it was was fan service and such. I enjoy me some bewbies but I can handle only so much.

9. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Nov 15, 2009
    Brazil
    My home
    I tend to avoid those kind of animes cause they get old super fast to me ...but sometimes I step on some moe overload, and that also gets old fast..

10. Warrior522

Warrior522 "In all things, balance."

Jul 21, 2010
    United States
    So, anime you'd be uncomfortable if others knew you'd seen them?

... truth be told, I can't think of any. I just don't really give a damn what other people think of my entertainment preferences. If I had to name one, it'd be the Sakura Wars movie dub, because it WAS uncomfortable. I went in to a showing of it at AWA with my crew, having enjoyed an LP on that-site-that-shall-not-be-intentionally-promoted-for-any-reason-EVER, and was greeted with the single most horrendous display of dialogue written for women by men who have clearly never heard women converse with each other, and acted by women who clearly did not give a single solitary fuck. We bailed out after the godawful CGI fight scene that made Transformers Energon look professional.

Oh, and Puni Puni Poemy. Okay, so a lot of people hate Excel Saga for being too weird(I personally adore it, even the incredibly over the top offensive last episode), but it's spinoff is unfunny and tasteless to the point of being outright revolting, because when you have an explicitly underage girl(not a "loli," an honest to god child) in a no-question sexual situation against her will and you try to pass it off as "comedy," you have teleported over the line and into the depths of "what in Christ's name is this shit get it off of my fucking hard drive."

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  11. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Haven't watched enough to claim one as embarrasing.

12. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Yeah, there's some pretty crappy stuff out there :P

13. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    Hmmmm anything with tentacle sex in it.....

Honorable mention for Bible Black, I don't think it has any tentacles in it but it's still pretty disturbing.

Edit: I would say "surprise tentacle sex" but I don't watch enough anime to know if it all isn't surprise... lol

14. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    There is no such thing as an embarrassing anime. There are only embarrassing weebs.

Psionic Roshambo likes this.
  15. Warrior522

Warrior522 "In all things, balance."

Jul 21, 2010
    United States
    I am more than a little ashamed to confirm that it does.

Psionic Roshambo likes this.
  16. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    Well this depends on how you define "Embarrassing"? Embarrassing as in a terrible anime that you were embarrassed to be caught watching or an anime that contains embarrassing situations that caused you to feel the same way?

If the latter holds true, then WataMote takes the cake. Nothing I've seen since has made me cringe as much as some of the episodes in that anime has done. I've quite literally face palmed through some of the episodes. :P

As for terribly bad to embarrassingly levels...hard to say. I've done a good job avoiding crap animes, so I don't really have one that reaches that level. :P

17. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Cardcaptor Sakura.

It's embarrassing but at the same time i'm not embarrassed at all.

other than that I don't watch anything embarrassingly bad, I drop anything without hesitation if it's bad. No point suffering through something.
    Except True Tears, which in the end did end up being a gigantic waste of my life....piece of **** ending.

18. Wanderman_Trigge

Wanderman_Trigge Member

Newcomer
    May 18, 2012
    United States
    UN-fortionitly, I've been watching "Date A Live" and about every 30seconts is a "WTF AM I WATCHING" moment and have been kicking myself for starting .... 'cuz im stuck half way in and have to finish it or ill never get it OUT of my mind. OH Yeah "One Peace" & "Gene Shaft" or what ever its called ,those are GOD AWFUL.

19. king_leo

king_leo Real Hero

Sep 12, 2009
    De RigueurMortis
    Only the "Origin" arc.

An embarrassing anime would be Sword Art Online, the horrible story pacing and out of place romance scenes is beyond me. Don't get me started on how bad the second half is.

20. ladypoodle

ladypoodle GBAtemp Regular

Apr 8, 2009
    United States
    Senran Kagura

Never I regretted watching this. Embarassed, yes but it was all worth it for me.