Most beautiful Linux.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Westside, Oct 18, 2007.

Oct 18, 2007

Most beautiful Linux. by Westside at 4:35 AM (4,157 Views / 0 Likes) 47 replies

1. Westside
    OP

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Can anyone recommend me the most beautiful version of Linux? I would be nice if I can dual boot with Windows XP. Thanks in advance.

2. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    Most beautiful Linux?
    You mean, the latest version of the OS?

Not familiar with Linux...

But with Virtual PC you can install Windows XP onto that program and it will run it so that you may have two OS running at the same time.

Not exactly a tech whiz, myself, just thought I might could help...

3. Westside
    OP

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    I just thought I would enter the hax0r world. [​IMG] Seriously are there any benefits at all to Linux besides feeling 1337?

4. Hiratai

Banned Hiratai I'm like *tick* *tick*

United States
    You don't want it. I had it for 3 months and it got boring QUICKLY.

5. fli_guy84

Member fli_guy84 GBAtemp Fan

Malaysia
    Any linux distro with Compiz Fusion (comparable to Vista's Aero), is nice to look at.

If you're a beginner to linux, I suggest downloading Ubuntu 7.10 iso image (which will come out later today), burn it onto a blank CD and run (not install) the Live CD. Get a feel of what it's like and then make the decision to whether or not install it as your main OS, or dual boot it with Windows.

6. Alastair

Member Alastair GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Thanks for the tip off. [​IMG] I'm going to get that.

7. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    I'm suprised that not many people have mentioned ubuntu. except the guy above me.

ubuntu is trying to make linux more mainstream, so I guess it's both the easiest and best looking out there.

8. Azimuth

Member Azimuth Chicken Teriyaki Boy!

Canada
    Ubuntu is the best way to go for a beginner. The most "beautiful" linux distro would have to be dreamlinux or elive but I wouldn't recommend either one.

If you just want to surf the net, IM and do other general stuff then stick to windows. If you are a computer enthusiast then give Linux a try, I'm sure that you'll learn something new about computers and you'll gain a whole new perspective on operating systems.

Only attempt a move to linux when you have plenty of time and are willing to put some work into it.

@Hiratai, not trying to start a flame war but how can an OS get boring? its not a game that you finish, its a set of tools that accomplish a task.

9. nephdj

Member nephdj GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Ubuntu

Personaly I found server 2003 to be the most fun with servers I have had (had 2 6month trials), worst was redhat since i the fact u need to reset to make changes to network, and it doesnt make u aware u need to restart (ur left scratching ur head, wondering why the changes did nothing)

10. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    What they said.

Btw, why is everyone here antilinux? Linux is much better, though not all programs run.

11. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    If its much better...wouldn't it run more programs? [​IMG]

12. living-ghost

Newcomer living-ghost Advanced Member

Canada
    There is probably something you should know about linux if you are looking for something with a specific look and feel.

Unlike windows, linux separated its core OS from its graphical enviroment. There are more then one desktop enviroment that can be run on linux (3 big ones that I know about). So which linux is a little less of an issue when considering aesthetics.

Here is my recomendation. Start with Ubuntu has mentioned above. The default desktop enviroment is Gnome which very stable and versatile. From there you can either tinker and see if you can get it looking and feeling the way you like or quickly install the other two and switch between them until you find the one that suites you best.

installing the others is very simple just install these packages for their respective desktop enviroments
    kubuntu-desktop this is for the KDE desktop it is a little less stable then gnome in some respects but I prefer it because of a lot of its features.

xubuntu-desktop I am going to be honest I have very little experience with this desktop enviroment I think it is called Xwin. it requires very little resources and is the most different from a windows look and feel as you can get.

13. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    Grab a copy of Ubuntu. Its very,very easy to use. The only thing I do not like however it the constant password input to change simple settings and installing things

14. Hitto

Member Hitto MKDS Tournament Winner

France
    Use Beryl on Ubuntu, it rocks vista's ass.

15. Awdofgum

Member Awdofgum Wadofgum

United States
    OpenSuse Is the best. You should try it.

16. flai

Member flai Androgynous Apparently :)

United Kingdom
    I agree, its a very, very subpar operating system. Don't use it, its only there to make the elitists feel elite.

17. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    Windows programs run on Linux...through Wine

18. flai

Member flai Androgynous Apparently :)

United Kingdom
    Yeah, but its a pain in the arse to install and it doesn't work with everything. Stick with Windows or OS X, Linux still has another 20 years to go before it will be commercially ready for the standard user market.

19. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    Linux is not user friendly, its ok if you are doing things through a GUI but via the CLI is a nightmare. Too many programs that do that same thing and guides that only apply to a certain version of linux.

I tried to turn my 2nd xbox in to a linux download machine and now I can't get the bloody thing to boot properly.

20. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    @phil: there are a lot of current Linux distros that are very user friendly and don't require the command line at all.

One such distro is PCLinuxOS. Awesome OS, extremely easy to set up and use, extensive download repositories in Synaptic (all GUI) to get pretty much everything you need, there are tons of programs (inculding WINE and Amarok) that are already installed...I have no complaints about it except that its responsiveness to my Laptop touchpad is a litttle funky when doing some things. On a desktop it is +perfeckt

I have not tried Ubuntu or gentoo yet though I plan to in the near future. They may be better but for now I will stick with PCLOS.