Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Most beautiful Linux?
You mean, the latest version of the OS?

Not familiar with Linux...

But with Virtual PC you can install Windows XP onto that program and it will run it so that you may have two OS running at the same time.

Not exactly a tech whiz, myself, just thought I might could help...

Westside

Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
There's no point in installing Linux for anyone.
I just thought I would enter the hax0r world.
frown.gif
Seriously are there any benefits at all to Linux besides feeling 1337?

fli_guy84

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Any linux distro with Compiz Fusion (comparable to Vista's Aero), is nice to look at.

If you're a beginner to linux, I suggest downloading Ubuntu 7.10 iso image (which will come out later today), burn it onto a blank CD and run (not install) the Live CD. Get a feel of what it's like and then make the decision to whether or not install it as your main OS, or dual boot it with Windows.

phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm suprised that not many people have mentioned ubuntu. except the guy above me.

ubuntu is trying to make linux more mainstream, so I guess it's both the easiest and best looking out there.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ubuntu is the best way to go for a beginner. The most "beautiful" linux distro would have to be dreamlinux or elive but I wouldn't recommend either one.

If you just want to surf the net, IM and do other general stuff then stick to windows. If you are a computer enthusiast then give Linux a try, I'm sure that you'll learn something new about computers and you'll gain a whole new perspective on operating systems.

Only attempt a move to linux when you have plenty of time and are willing to put some work into it.

@Hiratai, not trying to start a flame war but how can an OS get boring? its not a game that you finish, its a set of tools that accomplish a task.

nephdj

Trophies
XP
Country
Ubuntu

Personaly I found server 2003 to be the most fun with servers I have had (had 2 6month trials), worst was redhat since i the fact u need to reset to make changes to network, and it doesnt make u aware u need to restart (ur left scratching ur head, wondering why the changes did nothing)

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Any linux distro with Compiz Fusion (comparable to Vista's Aero), is nice to look at.

If you're a beginner to linux, I suggest downloading Ubuntu 7.10 iso image (which will come out later today), burn it onto a blank CD and run (not install) the Live CD. Get a feel of what it's like and then make the decision to whether or not install it as your main OS, or dual boot it with Windows.

Lol, just use Beryl. That thing is very fucking awesome.
What they said.

Btw, why is everyone here antilinux? Linux is much better, though not all programs run.

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Lol, just use Beryl. That thing is very fucking awesome.
What they said.

Btw, why is everyone here antilinux? Linux is much better, though not all programs run.

If its much better...wouldn't it run more programs?
rolleyes.gif

living-ghost

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
There is probably something you should know about linux if you are looking for something with a specific look and feel.

Unlike windows, linux separated its core OS from its graphical enviroment. There are more then one desktop enviroment that can be run on linux (3 big ones that I know about). So which linux is a little less of an issue when considering aesthetics.

Here is my recomendation. Start with Ubuntu has mentioned above. The default desktop enviroment is Gnome which very stable and versatile. From there you can either tinker and see if you can get it looking and feeling the way you like or quickly install the other two and switch between them until you find the one that suites you best.

installing the others is very simple just install these packages for their respective desktop enviroments
kubuntu-desktop this is for the KDE desktop it is a little less stable then gnome in some respects but I prefer it because of a lot of its features.

xubuntu-desktop I am going to be honest I have very little experience with this desktop enviroment I think it is called Xwin. it requires very little resources and is the most different from a windows look and feel as you can get.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
Grab a copy of Ubuntu. Its very,very easy to use. The only thing I do not like however it the constant password input to change simple settings and installing things

flai

Androgynous Apparently :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There's no point in installing Linux for anyone.

I just thought I would enter the hax0r world.
frown.gif
Seriously are there any benefits at all to Linux besides feeling 1337?
You don't want it. I had it for 3 months and it got boring QUICKLY.

I agree, its a very, very subpar operating system. Don't use it, its only there to make the elitists feel elite.

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Linux is not user friendly, its ok if you are doing things through a GUI but via the CLI is a nightmare. Too many programs that do that same thing and guides that only apply to a certain version of linux.

I tried to turn my 2nd xbox in to a linux download machine and now I can't get the bloody thing to boot properly.

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@phil: there are a lot of current Linux distros that are very user friendly and don't require the command line at all.

One such distro is PCLinuxOS. Awesome OS, extremely easy to set up and use, extensive download repositories in Synaptic (all GUI) to get pretty much everything you need, there are tons of programs (inculding WINE and Amarok) that are already installed...I have no complaints about it except that its responsiveness to my Laptop touchpad is a litttle funky when doing some things. On a desktop it is +perfeckt

I have not tried Ubuntu or gentoo yet though I plan to in the near future. They may be better but for now I will stick with PCLOS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BigOnYa @Xdqwerty, Gnight