Mortal Kombat

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by 1c3d3m0n, Nov 19, 2007.

?

Do you like Mortal Kombat?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Nov 19, 2007

Mortal Kombat by 1c3d3m0n at 1:41 PM (1,393 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. 1c3d3m0n
    OP

Newcomer 1c3d3m0n Advanced Member

Singapore
    Ok, I personally dislike mortal kombat (note, dislike, not hate) before the flaming or stuff starts, I start this topic to know why is mortal kombat is so popular while I personally dislike it. Take UMK for an example,the characters are so stiff, attacking style looks fake and blood just spill like water. The character names sound so....hell-like? It bring about the death, Gothic feel.

Well that's just my opinion, maybe someone can tell me what is so great about MK and also recommend me some MK games on other platforms so I can jump into the MK bandwagon.

P.S. this is the game like messed up my memory card, causing me lose all my save data, that is why I am very pissed that I have actually lost my save data over a game which I don't even like -.-" and ya, I know that I should backup my game regularly, I have learned it the hard way.

2. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    this game came out in the 90's and there was nothing out there like it i love the chracters

your right about stiness bu remember this is a port of a game that game out in the 90's

3. GameDragon

Member GameDragon Mugiwara RAWR!

United States
    Dunno what it is about Mortal Kombat, but I don't like it much. I still play it from time to time with my friends, but its not the fighting game of my choice.

4. GameDragon

Member GameDragon Mugiwara RAWR!

United States
    Bah... double posted...

5. ZPE

Member ZPE GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I only "dislike" the game when I get beaten with multiple hit combos and I just watch the other person batter the hell out of me.

Other than that, it's a good game.

6. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    Perfectly fine game, me and my cousins spent a lot of time playing it.

7. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I never really liked MK. As you said, the fighting is too stiff and the controls aren't really intuitive. I've always preferred Tekken or Street Fighter myself. The only thing MK really has going for it is the gory fatalities, other than that it's really a below average fighter with a cult following.

8. dexmix

Member dexmix GBAtemp Regular

United States
    my exact sentiments. street fighter was such a superior fighter, around the same time - that it always blew me away how much people liked MK. the controls and gameplay were complete crap compared to SF. i just assumed everyone was being superficial.

9. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    *makes the koolaid*

I loved Street fighter 2, also loved the first 2 Tekken's (I don't remember the others off hand). I also loved mortal kombat.

10. dakeyras

Member dakeyras GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Me likes teh violence. Me hates how much I suck at this game.

11. antigirl

Newcomer antigirl Member

Ireland
    kids these days, this game is a classic! I dont expect new kids to jump on the band wagon but if you had a console in early ninteens, this game was HUGE and a great competitor for street fighter, there has been nothing like fatalities ever in a fighting game [except KI],
    great nostalgic factor, unique characters, PORTABLE !!

12. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    mk was, and always has been for me, the poor man's 2d fighter - SF2 kicked it's ass

13. dakeyras

Member dakeyras GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Actually, one must fall (old dos game) had a likewise feature. Only without the blood and the gore as it was robots fighting.

Edit: Apparently mortal kombat was first. Seems like my memory is going, must be my age. [​IMG]

14. moozxy

Member moozxy hamboning

United Kingdom
    Pfft they obviously should've made a Street Fighter port for the DS instead of this crap..

15. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    I suck at the game, but I still love it, I have no idea why, although I wasn't much of a fan of Street Fighter (don't get me wrong, it's a good game, but for some reason I just love Mortal Kombat).

Probably because of that Techno Remix.

16. Nthenorm

Newcomer Nthenorm Advanced Member

Canada
    Now that's a fighting game I'd love to see ported to the DS (besides Street Fighter of course).

17. blahman

Member blahman GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well the controls just need a little bit to get used to nowadays, since mosts games follow street fighter command styles with qtr circle forward/back, half circle forward/back, hold back 2s forward etc etc. MK is just a bit different. Also dont look at the attacks as varying degrees of strength (street fighter again) or even left/right fist/leg. MK uses low/high punch/kick.

It's not really a cult following. All the cool kids back in the days played MK [​IMG]