'Mortal Kombat' movie from 'Aquaman' director to shoot later this year

MK.JPG
After Detective Pikachu, Sonic The Hedgehog and Saints Row, it's Mortal Kombat's turn for a live-action movie adaptation. James Wan, who directed Furious 7 and more recently Aquaman, will be handling production while Simon McQuoid will be making his directing debut with this title. Shooting will begin later this year in Adelaide, Australia which will be the "largest film production in South Australia's history", according to South Australia Premier Steven Marshall.

“I’m really happy and excited to be bringing another show back to Australia with Mortal Kombat, especially after having such a great experience filming Aquaman,” added James Wan in a statement. “Now we get to experience South Australia with its scenic locations and a wealth of artistic talent to work with. It will be perfectly suited for this fantasy-action project.”

This is not the first time that MK will be adapted to the big screen. The 90s actually saw two adaptations but which were not so well received. Do you think this reboot will mend the wounds?

:arrow: SOURCE

Reactions: CORE

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The movie is being directed by Simon McQuoid, Play Station commercials and the screenplay is by "lifelong gamer" Greg Russo

the reboot will focus on a brand new character named Cole turner. Cole is described as "a Philadelphia boxer that is recruited by a prophecy chaser to compete in a fantastical tournament - the outcome of which determines the fate of Earth and its inhabitants". Established Mortal Kombat characters, such as Kano, Sonya Blade and Raiden, are set to appear.

If they can get the CG budget the movie should look great

This seems a recipe for disaster.

First, making it a reboot but focusing on a new character.

Second, having a "chosen one" that's a boxer instead of at least kickboxing.

And third, it will be probably ruin the fights because of trying to make a boxer win MK.

Reactions: JakobAir

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
IMDB says Lawrence Kasanoff is still listed as a producer.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0440415/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

Yes, he was involved in the first two movies and the TV series twenty years ago – but he spend a substantial amount of the time since then on a little thing called Foodfight, which is such a colossal embarrassment that it is astonishing anyone ever decided to give him any money ever again. This bodes poorly.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Heh...I got some nice memories of that mortal kombat movie (especially the soundtrack). Sure, it was campy, but at least it followed the storyline and gave what the (young) audience wanted. Good to see that opinion shared.

Alongside the opinion of the sequel, because Jezus...I want my money AND my couple of life hours back on that one.

James Wan, who directed Furious 7 and more recently Aquaman, will be handling production...
While true, I think it would be better suited to mention that he directed Saw, Insidious and the conjuring. Yes, they're horror movies. No, they're not "just" campy horror fests (note: he directed the FIRST saw. Not the garbage that all the sequels quickly became).

Because if there is one thing that the original movie lacked, then it was a lack of blood. In fact, it had a complete absence of blood. And while I'm not really one to demand a gruesome kill ratio in movies, it would be stupid not to have it in a mortal kombat movie. I mean...it would be like porting a Jane Austen novel to a video game and not including dialogue.

CORE

3:16
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was so hyped for Annihilation what a wasted opportunity.

Alternative Cast , Different and Clean Clothes than the way other ended , Johnny Cage although not same Actor Neck Broke at beginning by ShaoKahn , Terrible Casting for ShaoKahn first time I saw without mask I thought he something to do with Black Dragon and Kano , Rain killed off by ShaoKahn with Hammer pointless could have been a good fight , Sheva killed by Cage stupid not even a fight damn waste Raiden vs 3 Reptiles what happen to 3rd and two killed very abruptly pathetic may aswell not even have happend

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't the first MK movie considered one of the best vg-to-movie adaptations of all time? I mean, it's so beloved by both series fans and Netherrealm folks that some of stuff from it was even carried to the newer games, both canon-wise and in small references.
I mean, best of the 90s maybe? when you're comparing it to mario bros. and street fighter...I guess you could consider it the best out of all of those. I think I liked street fighter more because it felt more like a really crappy B movie, but that's neither here nor there. Point is, it's not exactly a high bar. I think it wins mainly because, yes, technically it is a movie. plus, it's not crazy far off from the games.

But not the second one. Not sure that one counts as a movie.

Last edited by osaka35,

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This seems a recipe for disaster.

First, making it a reboot but focusing on a new character.

Second, having a "chosen one" that's a boxer instead of at least kickboxing.

And third, it will be probably ruin the fights because of trying to make a boxer win MK.
( Or maybe he just dies :yay: )

To top it off I also heard this about the film but hopefully this gets changed

In addition, Raiden will be depicted as a teenager - although Many of the other characters, such as Sonya, Mileena, Jax etc, seem to be more closely based on their video game counterparts.

Oh, and no Sub Zero or Scorpion? Not going to be a popular decision!

Greg Russo is also doing the writing for the Resident Evil Reboot

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I mean, best of the 90s maybe? when you're comparing it to mario bros. and street fighter...I guess you could consider it the best out of all of those. I think I liked street fighter more because it felt more like a really crappy B movie, but that's neither here nor there. Point is, it's not exactly a high bar. I think it wins mainly because, yes, technically it is a movie. plus, it's not crazy far off from the games.

But not the second one. Not sure that one counts as a movie.

Here is a list from rotten tomatoes ranking 41 movies (It's missing a handful of movies)

Reactions: osaka35

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is a list from rotten tomatoes ranking 41 movies (It's missing a handful of movies)
Man, rotten tomato is weird. it's so high on the ranking somehow! I mean, I was laughing the whole time I was watching mortal kombat, so maybe. But I think the year they were released and the different standards might affect things? I mean, I know animated pokemon movies aren't the best in the world...but are they really ALL worse than the mario bros. movie? XD

Last edited by osaka35,

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, rotten tomato is weird. it's so high on the ranking somehow! I mean, I was laughing the whole time I was watching mortal kombat, so maybe. But I think the year they were released and the different standards might affect things? I mean, I know animated pokemon movies aren't the best in the world...but are they really ALL worse than the mario bros. movie? XD

I mean at the time where CG wasn't really a thing it got away with some stuff the only thing that I loved from that movie was the forest scene because back then that was something new done with Scorpion but with pg13 rating and a small budget and Power Rangers being popular this is what we got :blink:

if the new movie has blood and gore and great visuals it will probably be at least entertaining like deadpool

CORE

3:16
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
From what I have read here it really starting to sound like crap they just should pickup on Legacy instead just not 10mins or so long. A more modern version of Conquest.

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I think it's more that MK movie is in a lot of ways made by fans and for fans - it executed the whole "campy martial arts east-meets-west" thing well while also giving proper respect to source material. As silly and B-movieish as it is in general, the casting and costume design are actually pretty good (especially compared to SF or DoA movies), fights are entertaining, there are lotsa decent references, actors know what they're in for and have a blast with their roles, and it seems to be made by people who both love the game and had a lot of fun doing the project.

On its own, it's hardly a masterpiece, but it really respects fans instead of doing the whole "let's make it for everyone by stripping source material of its identity" shtick so many other vg adaptations go for, which is why MK fans still have such a fun time watching the thing - and in a way, that makes it the perfect videogame movie.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's more that MK movie is in a lot of ways made by fans and for fans - it executed the whole "campy martial arts east-meets-west" thing well while also giving proper respect to source material. As silly and B-movieish as it is in general, the casting and costume design are actually pretty good (especially compared to SF or DoA movies), fights are entertaining, there are lotsa decent references, actors know what they're in for and have a blast with their roles, and it seems to be made by people who both love the game and had a lot of fun doing the project.

On its own, it's hardly a masterpiece, but it really respects fans instead of doing the whole "let's make it for everyone by stripping source material of its identity" shtick so many other vg adaptations go for, which is why MK fans still have such a fun time watching the thing - and in a way, that makes it the perfect videogame movie.
Perhaps that's why. As someone who only played the games, and knew the character but none of the lore, it felt familiar but didn't feel much like a movie. Felt more like an assemblage of action pieces than any kind of coherent movie. Which, I guess given the source material, is also accurate XD.

I place it alongside other B movies that are hilarious to watch/you get something out of it. I hope this new one still appeals to the fans though. No sense having a movie about a thing if you don't include the fans in on it.

D

Deleted User

I hope they make the Genesis version with blood, not the family friendly SNES version.
A b a c a b b blood code baby

I own both mk movies on blu ray love the guilty pleasure of mk annihilation

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
A b a c a b b blood code baby

I own both mk movies on blu ray love the guilty pleasure of mk annihilation

I just couldn't stand to see the second movie again.

The movie outrages me too much to even have fun making fun of it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.