'Mortal Kombat' movie from 'Aquaman' director to shoot later this year

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, May 15, 2019.

1. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    This seems a recipe for disaster.

First, making it a reboot but focusing on a new character.

Second, having a "chosen one" that's a boxer instead of at least kickboxing.

And third, it will be probably ruin the fights because of trying to make a boxer win MK.

JakobAir likes this.
  2. CORE

CORE 3:16

Jul 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Damn sounds like they s***ing on it before it even gets put into production.

3. Sethtimus Prime

Sethtimus Prime GBAtemp Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    United States
    Anybody remember the MK tv show?

CORE likes this.
  4. Kwyjor

Kwyjor GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 23, 2018
    Canada
    IMDB says Lawrence Kasanoff is still listed as a producer.
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0440415/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

Yes, he was involved in the first two movies and the TV series twenty years ago – but he spend a substantial amount of the time since then on a little thing called Foodfight, which is such a colossal embarrassment that it is astonishing anyone ever decided to give him any money ever again. This bodes poorly.

5. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    I do, it was surprisingly okay for the budget they had, too had the airtimes sucked.

6. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Heh...I got some nice memories of that mortal kombat movie (especially the soundtrack). Sure, it was campy, but at least it followed the storyline and gave what the (young) audience wanted. Good to see that opinion shared.

Alongside the opinion of the sequel, because Jezus...I want my money AND my couple of life hours back on that one.

While true, I think it would be better suited to mention that he directed Saw, Insidious and the conjuring. Yes, they're horror movies. No, they're not "just" campy horror fests (note: he directed the FIRST saw. Not the garbage that all the sequels quickly became).

Because if there is one thing that the original movie lacked, then it was a lack of blood. In fact, it had a complete absence of blood. And while I'm not really one to demand a gruesome kill ratio in movies, it would be stupid not to have it in a mortal kombat movie. I mean...it would be like porting a Jane Austen novel to a video game and not including dialogue.

CORE likes this.
  7. CORE

Jul 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I was so hyped for Annihilation what a wasted opportunity.

MOVIE SPOILERS

8. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    I mean, best of the 90s maybe? when you're comparing it to mario bros. and street fighter...I guess you could consider it the best out of all of those. I think I liked street fighter more because it felt more like a really crappy B movie, but that's neither here nor there. Point is, it's not exactly a high bar. I think it wins mainly because, yes, technically it is a movie. plus, it's not crazy far off from the games.

But not the second one. Not sure that one counts as a movie.

Last edited by osaka35, May 16, 2019
  9. Teletron1

Teletron1 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2019
    United States
    EARTH
    ( Or maybe he just dies :yay: )

To top it off I also heard this about the film but hopefully this gets changed

In addition, Raiden will be depicted as a teenager - although Many of the other characters, such as Sonya, Mileena, Jax etc, seem to be more closely based on their video game counterparts.

Oh, and no Sub Zero or Scorpion? Not going to be a popular decision!

Greg Russo is also doing the writing for the Resident Evil Reboot

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Here is a list from rotten tomatoes ranking 41 movies (It's missing a handful of movies)

osaka35 likes this.
  10. osaka35

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Man, rotten tomato is weird. it's so high on the ranking somehow! I mean, I was laughing the whole time I was watching mortal kombat, so maybe. But I think the year they were released and the different standards might affect things? I mean, I know animated pokemon movies aren't the best in the world...but are they really ALL worse than the mario bros. movie? XD

Last edited by osaka35, May 16, 2019
  11. Teletron1

Teletron1 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2019
    United States
    EARTH
    I mean at the time where CG wasn't really a thing it got away with some stuff the only thing that I loved from that movie was the forest scene because back then that was something new done with Scorpion but with pg13 rating and a small budget and Power Rangers being popular this is what we got :blink:

if the new movie has blood and gore and great visuals it will probably be at least entertaining like deadpool

12. CORE

Jul 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    From what I have read here it really starting to sound like crap they just should pickup on Legacy instead just not 10mins or so long. A more modern version of Conquest.

13. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2019
    Russia
    I think it's more that MK movie is in a lot of ways made by fans and for fans - it executed the whole "campy martial arts east-meets-west" thing well while also giving proper respect to source material. As silly and B-movieish as it is in general, the casting and costume design are actually pretty good (especially compared to SF or DoA movies), fights are entertaining, there are lotsa decent references, actors know what they're in for and have a blast with their roles, and it seems to be made by people who both love the game and had a lot of fun doing the project.

On its own, it's hardly a masterpiece, but it really respects fans instead of doing the whole "let's make it for everyone by stripping source material of its identity" shtick so many other vg adaptations go for, which is why MK fans still have such a fun time watching the thing - and in a way, that makes it the perfect videogame movie.

raxadian and osaka35 like this.
  14. osaka35

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Perhaps that's why. As someone who only played the games, and knew the character but none of the lore, it felt familiar but didn't feel much like a movie. Felt more like an assemblage of action pieces than any kind of coherent movie. Which, I guess given the source material, is also accurate XD.

I place it alongside other B movies that are hilarious to watch/you get something out of it. I hope this new one still appeals to the fans though. No sense having a movie about a thing if you don't include the fans in on it.

15. CORE

Jul 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Chris Casamassa Awesome aka Scorpion in both 1st movie and conquest aka Takeda.

16. budtoka420

budtoka420 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 6, 2012
    United States
    A b a c a b b blood code baby

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I own both mk movies on blu ray love the guilty pleasure of mk annihilation

CORE likes this.
  17. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    I just couldn't stand to see the second movie again.

The movie outrages me too much to even have fun making fun of it.

CORE likes this.
  18. face235

face235 GBATemp's Official Lurker

Apr 16, 2017
    United States
    Beyond the 4th Wall
    I always watched the credits at the end of the first movie. Music was lit, especially this one:

Utah Saints Take on the Theme from "Mortal Kombat'

MORTAL KOMBAT!!!