TLSS_N

No rice, No life! ~唯
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
flag-shirt.jpg
A student wears one of the shirts disallowed at Live Oak High School (CBS)

MORGAN HILL (CBS SF) – The families several high school students who sued the Morgan Hill Unified School District for violating their free speech rights have lost their case.

On Cinco De Mayo, 2010, students at Live Oak High School were told to remove shirts, hats and other clothing bearing the American flag for fear that the articles would incite violence on campus.
The former principal told the boys to turn the shirts inside-out or go home. When the refused, the were asked to leave campus.

Parents claim that the demand violated the students’ first and fourteenth amendment rights.
A federal court ruled that Live Oak has the right to restrict a student’s free speech when it is likely to cause a substantial disruption.
The plaintiffs were John and Dianna Dariano, parents of Matt Dariano; Kurt and Julie Ann Fagerstrom, parents of Dominic Maciell; and Kendall and Joy Jones on behalf of Daniel Galli. The group was seeking damages including changing school policies to clearly state students’ rights, and reimbursement lawyer fees.
(Copyright 2011 by CBS SF. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Source

If you wan't to celbrate a holiday from a the country of mexico, celibrate it in your home! Imagin celibrating a Candian holiday in an Affrican school system, or a German Holliday in A Brazzilian school system. Of course people are going to want to show the pride they have in the nation they grew up in, why can't they show the pride THEY HAVE!? absolutely disgusting.

Digeman

Trophies
XP
Country
Without patriotism the United States doesn't exist.
Without Nationalism the Olympics doesn't exist.

The irony of those statements are mindbogling. If someone who knows the least bit of american history, they would very well know that america wouldn't exist if it wasn't for their unpatriotism. (ergo y'all would be brittish :P and eat fish and chips...okey that was uncalled for...the fish and chips part). Still i think there's nothing wrong apreciating your own culture, only the mindset that it's the best is what's wrong.

And without nationalism there wouldn't have been a first or second world war probably...oh and sry forgot, how could we live without the olympics, shiiiet got ahead of myself there a little didn't i :P

Commence flaming!

cris92x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are so many poeple ignorant to the true purpose of the bill of rights? The bill of rights was meant to be applied so that the states may be safe from the federal government, even more so it has now been extended to the individual but that just means you are protected from the FEDERAL government. Plus from previous supreme court cases, the U.S. government can infringe your rights by having a "good" reason, let us remember what we did to the japanese in WW2 or what the patriot act does. If you truly believe you have the right to free speech anywhere and anyhow you want it then your ignorant.

Reactions: 2 people

Foie

That one guy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is disgusting. Anyone who would incite violence over the wearing of a flag on clothing is a complete lunatic and scumbag. This is similar to telling college students that they can't wear their university's t-shirt on campus because some people might get mad. If you don't support the University's colors, then you should probably get off campus and you have absolutely no right to prevent others from wearing them.

The same goes for the U.S (and any country, for that matter). If you hate the country that much, then get out and stop mooching off of the benefits that our nation provides. And in no circumstance should we bend to the will of these ungrateful bastards.

Reactions: 1 person

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
fear that the articles would incite violence on campus.
[...]
it is likely to cause a substantial disruption.
How and why would it incite violence? Tolerance is supposed to go both ways. Or so I'm told.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
*snip
If you wan't to celbrate a holiday from a the country of mexico, celibrate it in your home! Imagin celibrating a Candian holiday in an Affrican school system, or a German Holliday in A Brazzilian school system. Of course people are going to want to show the pride they have in the nation they grew up in, why can't they show the pride THEY HAVE!? absolutely disgusting.
Cinco de mayo is mainly an American holiday, not Mexican (Wikipedia):
Cinco de Mayo (Spanish for "fifth of May") is a holiday held on May 5. It is celebrated nationwide in the United States and regionally in Mexico, primarily in the state of Puebla,[1][2][3][4] where the holiday is called El Dia de la Batalla de Puebla (English: The Day of the Battle of Puebla).

Furthermore, your argument doesn't hold substance: it's just like saying that people shouldn't be celebrating Christmas in the US because it originates from Europe.

Whats so wrong with a flag? :blink:
Cinco de Mayo celebrates Mexican heritage to America. Put simply, they're mocking Cinco de Mayo, thus insulting Mexicans. They're being racist to Mexicans, with an excuse of being Patriotic.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, this ruling means that students couldn't wear something like this during the holiday.

flagpants1.jpg.w300h400.jpg

You know, I'm okay with that.

TLSS_N

No rice, No life! ~唯
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*snip
Cinco de Mayo (Spanish for "fifth of May") is a holiday held on May 5. It is celebrated nationwide in the United States and regionally in Mexico, primarily in the state of Puebla,[1][2][3][4] where the holiday is called El Dia de la Batalla de Puebla (English: The Day of the Battle of Puebla).

Furthermore, your argument doesn't hold substance: it's just like saying that people shouldn't be celebrating Christmas in the US because it originates from Europe.

Cinco de Mayo celebrates Mexican heritage to America. Put simply, they're mocking Cinco de Mayo, thus insulting Mexicans. They're being racist to Mexicans, with an excuse of being Patriotic.
I'll bite, troll. I would like to point something out real quick, if china was to invade japan how do you suppose that would go? Do you really think the citizens of japan would gladly embrace the culture of china?

Ok, now think about this citizens from south america AND mexico cross our borders, some break the law all of the time, some try to make an honst days work. I'm not saying I am happay about breaking the law. Now, think about this why is it ok for the chineese to super impose the culture that they have, onto japan. Imagine walking down the street in japan, and havesomeone yelling something in chinese. now multiply that by about 11.2 million people. Do you really think that people will not get mad they they refuse to learn the japanese language, or that they have children being forced to celebrate a chinese holiday, when the family does not celibrate that holiday? What about the double standard, that we are forced to celibrate the holiday of the chinese, but if you have kids from china, living in japan, they get a free pass? "My kid isn't japanese, why should he have to participate".

Should I have to sing the russian national anthem if a kid in my class is from russia? Why should I have to put up with people who do not participate in society? Should I have to pay for some lazy bastard in florida who has been blessed by god with working limbs, a great mind and a strong heart. Just to sit on his couch all day and shoot up drugs while he runs up the welfare bill?

People think I am a racist, only because I know what is right and what is fare, you don't want to work? GTFO, you don't want to learn the language? GTFO, or move to san fransisco, I hear government sponsored sex changes are on the tax payers, oh and if your to lazy to go inside to use the restroom/water closet? JUST GO ON THE STREETS!

Hey we all want a more liberal society, right?

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are so many poeple ignorant to the true purpose of the bill of rights? The bill of rights was meant to be applied so that the states may be safe from the federal government, even more so it has now been extended to the individual but that just means you are protected from the FEDERAL government. Plus from previous supreme court cases, the U.S. government can infringe your rights by having a "good" reason, let us remember what we did to the japanese in WW2 or what the patriot act does. If you truly believe you have the right to free speech anywhere and anyhow you want it then your ignorant.

Seems as if you're the only sensible person here.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cinco de mayo is not really a mexican holiday. it's is equally significant as an american holiday because the US aided mexico in the the battle of puebla which lead to mexico aiding the US in battling the brits or french or whoever they pissed off at that time. point being that it is a very american holiday.

and to The Living Shadow. english is not the official language of the US. it is the most spoken language but not official. learn more about your own country or get the fuck out too - see how that works?

smile72

NewsBot
Trophies
XP
Country
Living Shadow what the hell are you talking about. America has no official language. You sound like you have no idea what you're talking about. Sometimes liberalism is needed in society sometimes conservatism.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
*snip

I'll bite, troll. I would like to point something out real quick, if china was to invade japan how do you suppose that would go? Do you really think the citizens of japan would gladly embrace the culture of china?

Ok, now think about this citizens from south america AND mexico cross our borders, some break the law all of the time, some try to make an honst days work. I'm not saying I am happay about breaking the law. Now, think about this why is it ok for the chineese to super impose the culture that they have, onto japan. Imagine walking down the street in japan, and havesomeone yelling something in chinese. now multiply that by about 11.2 million people. Do you really think that people will not get mad they they refuse to learn the japanese language, or that they have children being forced to celebrate a chinese holiday, when the family does not celibrate that holiday? What about the double standard, that we are forced to celibrate the holiday of the chinese, but if you have kids from china, living in japan, they get a free pass? "My kid isn't japanese, why should he have to participate".

Should I have to sing the russian national anthem if a kid in my class is from russia? Why should I have to put up with people who do not participate in society? Should I have to pay for some lazy bastard in florida who has been blessed by god with working limbs, a great mind and a strong heart. Just to sit on his couch all day and shoot up drugs while he runs up the welfare bill?

People think I am a racist, only because I know what is right and what is fare, you don't want to work? GTFO, you don't want to learn the language? GTFO, or move to san fransisco, I hear government sponsored sex changes are on the tax payers, oh and if your to lazy to go inside to use the restroom/water closet? JUST GO ON THE STREETS!

Hey we all want a more liberal society, right?
I think you have to calm down. There are many flaws in your argument.

First of all, Mexicans had never superimposed their culture to the US. Most of them (whether legal or illegal), reside in the US, trying to blend into the US. Cinco de Mayo is in no way something that is forced to celebrate; the school out ruled objectionable attire to prevent conflict, not forcefully make them celebrate it. It's a national celebration and it was made so by the government. If you have personal racism to turn to these celebrations, please see what you can do when you become part of the political world. By the way, when in the heck did Americans start singing Mexico's national anthem?

I think you're being too Patriotic. Before current Americans (essentially, the English) resided in this land, there were Native Americans living here. The English enslaved them, forced them to wear their clothes, made them learn their language, and implanted their religions and beliefs onto them. Do you see the connection with your argument above? Americans have done the same (or actually, much, MUCH worse) as what you are trying to argue about.

I also want to point out that not all immigrants/foreigners (I, myself, being an Asian living in America) never tries hard to learn the language. I've only lived in the US for 4 years, but as you see, I exceed in the English language (at least much better than everybody else in my English class). It's not like it didn't take effort. I went through my days of being socially awkward because I was less capable of speaking the language, and people would make fun of me saying, "Hey, can you talk?" just because I was mute (which was obviously because I couldn't speak the language well). I tried hard learning the language, while those brain-less Americans who made fun of me never tried the slightest to become successful in their own language. But thanks to them, I am still socially awkward. Anyways, it just feels insulting that Americans think that they go through shit and does hard work, while thinking that foreigners (like me) aren't even trying.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a