More Ubuntu help

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Livin in a box, Oct 5, 2008.

Oct 5, 2008

More Ubuntu help by Livin in a box at 12:38 PM (837 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. Livin in a box
    OP

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    OK, i'm a little bit confused with Ubuntu. I left it for while and I went to install it again and it al worked. BUT, on step 6, it showed this, and I don't know what it means...

WARNING!: This will destroy all data on any partitions you have removed as well as on the partitions that are going to be formatted.

The partition tables of the following devices are changed:
    SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda)

The following partitions are going to be formatted:
    partition #6 of SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) as ext3
    partition #7 of SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) as swap.

I've resized Windows Vista/Longhorn to have 98% of the hard drive, which is 138GB which is now has. But will I lose all my Vista data?

Also, I can't turn on my WiFi whilst in Ubuntu, so I can't access the internet. I turn it on by pressing Fn(laptop) and F2. How can I turn it on?

2. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    the warning you are getting is basically just telling you that data in the partitions you are installing ubuntu in will be destroyed, it should leave vista alone. but, as always, backup your data, linux paritioning tools are not 100% reliable when working on ntfs because M$ have not released the standard.

as for your second question, there should be an option somewhere, you could be better off just googling the make of your laptop along with the word ubuntu. or asking on the ubuntu forums or IRC channel

3. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Don't see anything about Vista here.