Hacking More than one rom in NOR on EZ-Flash 4?

• Thread starter Deleted-236924
  • Start date
  • Views 1,567
  • Replies 4
D

Deleted-236924

OP
How do I write more than one rom to the NOR on EZ-Flash IV? The EZ-Flash wiki seems to imply that it is possible, however I can't figure out how.

I erase whatever is currently stored in NOR, then I write a rom to NOR. But when I try to write another rom to NOR, it just erases the NOR all over again and writes the other rom, so the first rom is gone and I only have the one I just flashed left.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Once the ability was added in I always just wrote it (from memory was it press the select button on the ROM?). Assuming the space was there it wrote it. Are you using an old EZ4 or one of the new 2013 models?

Is this any size ROMs you are trying (two 16 megs may be too much if the NOR has had to lose some sectors), are they hacked ROMs, have you trimmed them, have you added soft reset (if 16 meg ROMs this may have been added to the end and put it over the 16 meg mark)?
What happens when you press select on a non GBA ROM? I am wondering if it is a bug that is erasing something.

D

Deleted-236924

OP
- Old EZ4
- The roms are both 15,104 KB (Mother 3 being 32,768 KB for comparison)
- One of them is a hacked rom
- Both trimmed automatically by EZ4Client as far as I'm aware
- Both have Soft Reset patch applied from kuwanger's sleephack

When I press Select on something which isn't a GBA rom, it just puts the cursor back at the top of the list.

I'll try and see if it works with two lower size roms.

Okay, so with a 8,192 KB rom and a 7,936 one it works fine. That's too bad I suppose.

The weird thing is that if the NOR is already occupied by Mother 3 (which takes up all the space), attempting to write another game to NOR will just say that NOR is full and won't even attempt it, but if I try writing the second 15,104 KB rom while the first one is in NOR (there should be more or less 17,664 KB left, point being there's still space left on the NOR), it erases the game currently on NOR and puts the second one in its place.

Not sure why it prevents me from writing to NOR when there's no space left, but when there is, it goes and erases NOR before writing the other rom.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
" One of them is a hacked rom"

I have seen issues before where a tweaked part of the EZ4 header causes roms to not appear when written to the NOR. Come to think of it I am not sure if I have seen someone try writing a broken hacked one after a normal one.

The fix is simple enough though. Bust out a hex editor and at BE hex there will be a value, in normal games it is 0000 but for some reason some hacks change it and that troubles things being written to the NOR. Change the value back to 0000 and things should start working again. I did have an IPS patch around somewhere for it but I can not find it right now.

If Mother 3 works then chances are you have good NOR -- we have seen a few people have NOR allocate fewer sectors to cope with dead ones and Mother 3 can then be too big for the resulting size. Chaosruler even found the NOR chip and fixed his.

Edit. Was staring at the patch the entire time by the looks of things.
http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?p=74881#p74881

D

Deleted-236924

OP
Yeah, that was it
j4vsM4v.gif
Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: