More than 750 PS2 prototypes have been released by game preservationist group Hidden Palace

300px-Project_Deluge_Logo.png

Hidden Palace has been a monumental icon when it comes to preserving the history of Sonic the Hedgehog prototypes and beta cartridges. They've got more to offer than just that, though, with their latest work being something called Project Deluge. Containing a little more than 750 different PlayStation 2 prototypes, betas, and working builds of games, Project Deluge is the team's effort to preserve all these little pieces of gaming history by dumping each and every disc they've found. Some of the contents of their collection include prototypes, E3 builds, and demos of Metal Gear Solid 2, Shadow of the Colossus, Okami, and many, many, many more. A full, detailed list is being worked on by Hidden Palace and users on The Cutting Room Floor to document any significant differences in these betas, and is available to read, here.

:arrow: Source

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
while its cool that they got these versions, most of them seem very late into development so there might not be as crazy differences as some people think. Hopefully people will find some leftovers from earlier versions in the files

Or just dig in the code and find leftover files. People has done that with regular demons, if these are pre release before final month of crunch games then there must be some hidden gems.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hunting down and documenting the differences between the retail versions and the prototype of "ESPN NBA Basketball" hardly sounds like my idea of a good time. But I guess some people are into that.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
This headline is a bit misleading.

@Chary, I think "game prototypes" would be more accurate as "PS2 prototypes" sounds like you're talking about prototypes of the system.

Anyway, I heard about this the other day, this is pretty amazing! I never had a PS2, but it's great to see this dedication to preserving these.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The cool thing is that more stuff is being dumped and catalogued. PS2 was only the first batch. There will be similar lots for other gaming systems released over the year.

Sadly nothing earlier than 1995, but who knows what gems will be in there.
Exciting times for sure.

*Billy Mays impression*
Wait, there's more?

Please, let the 65%/80%/last build of Resident Evil 1.5 be in this...! If nothing else just for the closure!

Reynardine

Fuchsly
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
*Billy Mays impression*
Wait, there's more?

Please, let the 65%/80%/last build of Resident Evil 1.5 be in this...! If nothing else just for the closure!
There is a more complete version than the November 6 build in private hands, but that source disappeared when the other build leaked unfortunately. At least that's what I read.

Personally I'm hoping for N64 prototypes of any sort because there is a drought of N64 protos compared to most other systems.

What's amazing is that all these prototypes came from one collector who donated them for preservation, free of charge.

Last edited by Reynardine,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1