more questions now that I have my EZFlash IV

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by regnad, Jun 22, 2011.

Jun 22, 2011
  1. regnad
    OP

Member regnad Button Masher

Japan
    I got my EZ Flash IV last night, and have some more questions:

1) It seems any ROM larger than 16,384 triggers a "PSRAM is not enough" and won't load. I remember reading that there is a special method to loading these larger ROMs, but I can't seem to figure it out

2) Every time I start up the system it says it's writing to Saver whatever ROM I had open last. Is this just the way it is?

3) Any way to get NES Classic: Zelda and Zelda II to load? I just get "Game Pak Error. Restart Gameboy Advance"

4) Patched Boktai 2 doesn't seem to work, but it works fine on VBA on my PC. Any solution? And, by the way, patched Boktai 1 works fine.

5) Advance Wars 2 boots up and runs fine, but doesn't seem to be saving.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    1) Yeah you need to write it to the NOR. Boot it in GBA mode, find the rom and press select at which point it will give you the option to write it to the NOR. It will take ages but once it is done you can boot it instantly (it will be there until you erase it).

If you are using the DS mode menu then you can get it from one of the icons on the touch screen (no writing in DS mode though).

2) The save sits in the SRAM until it is written back. You can skip it if you want (and do not have the cart set to obliged which ignores it all until it is written).

3) Use HVCA or pocketnes (or nesDS) instead as the emulation is far better. Still nes classic patches if you must http://filetrip.net/f1696-Classic-NES-and-...ix-patches.html (there might be some slightly later ones). These nes classics, samurai deeper kyo (not confirmed) and some of the dragon ball Z titles are the only ones to feature AP.
    Some of the pokemon titles with real time clock, warioware twisted and yoshi tilt and tumble (which have tilt sensors) and the boktai games (which have solar sensors and some RTC).
    All together those are the trouble titles on the GBA and every other title should work fine give or take some minor name tweaks as the EZ4 demands (some titles like 8:3 naming).

4) I keep meaning to investigate this but it is a known thing. I assume you are using The Prof 9.'s improved set of patches.

5) I have never been able to replicate this although I have seen it before (mainly in the early days). Try 8:3 naming or patching with GBATA ( http://www.no-intro.org/tools.htm )

Oh and if you get a fire emblem patch for some reason part of the header is edited which the EZ4 does not agree with http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?f=...;p=72371#p72371

3. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Is the filename for your Advance Wars 2 rom more than 45 characters long?
    The only limit, as far as I'm aware, is that the filename must be shorter than 45 characters.
    If that still doesn't work, try the 8.3 naming convention like FAST said.

4. regnad
    OP

Japan
    re: 2) So when I turn on the machine, that's the first time the the game progress is actually saved to the SD card? If so, I would assume skipping this process would cause it to be lost, right?

re: 5) I read about the name character limit, so I was very careful with that.

What is 8:3 naming? I do have GBATA, is that something you can do with it?

5. Ammako

Canada
    8.3 naming is when you change the filename to something like ADVWARS2.GBA

6. regnad
    OP

Japan
    Oh, okay. Does it need to be all capitals?

Also, FAST6191, when you say to patch Adv Wars 2 with GBATA, what should I patch it with?

7. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    SRAM patcher (you are patching the rom to use SRAM).

No need for capitals if you do not want. It is purely up to 8 characters for the name and 3 after that.

As for saving the general idea is

Roms have a couple of save types and a few subdivisions there ( http://www.pocketheaven.com/ph/wiki/index....title=GBA_Saves ) but on the PC at least save type is easy to find (do an ascii search for SRAM, flash or EEPROM), detect (version is a couple of bytes after that) and patch (every save type uses an identical patch and every new type but a minor tweak on the last).
    All GBA flash cards though only use SRAM (some of the DS carts did actually emulate save types and then write back and were incredibly compatible, if a bit fiddly, for their trouble but then the R4 came along and people decided drag and drop was better than adding entries to a simple list) so all roms get patched to use SRAM (this is most of what EZ4client or GBATA does).
    As having enough SRAM to cater to some 2 gigs of games (GBA games averaging about 12 megs if not less- earlier NOR carts did have enough though) is not practical the SRAM is used as temporary storage and then written back when the menu is next loaded. If you cancel saving and load another rom your new save data is likely lost.

8. regnad
    OP

Japan
    Patch for the Classic NES Zeldas worked fine!

I had been using the Boktai 2 patch at No Frills. I found the Prof 9 one, and now Boktai 2 works fine!

Instead of the Euro version of Advance Wars 2, I tried the US version, and now it saves fine! I suppose it's the Euro version that causes problems.

Thank you thank you thank you for all of your help, guys!

9. regnad
    OP

Japan
    The EZ-Flash IV is for my GBA Micro.

I also have a Supercard Lite for my DS Lite, but it's too short to fit in a micro slot, as it's designed specifically for the DS Lite.

The Supercard Lite uses sav files that can be switched out with VBA sav files.

I guess EZ-Flash IV uses this other method you describe. Are the files in the Saver folder incompatible with VBA sav files?

The Supercard Lite also doesn't need to use this NOR loading method -- it loads up larger ROMs just like any other.

The EZ-Flash IV has a lot better compatibility than the Supercard overall, though. Advance Wars 2 won't load up on the SC at all no matter what, and neither will Mario and Luigi and GBA Banjo Kazooie, and these all work fine on the EZF4.

10. regnad
    OP

Japan
    Ugh. I spoke too soon!! I have this problem with EVERY game. If I load up any game with a different game loaded previously, then all saves have been lost. What's the deal do you think? Is it my SD card? How can I find out?

11. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    You can use VBA saves (first pulldown menu and export battery save). Have a look around for the 3 in 1 stuff though as they work in more or less the same way. It is only the matter of a tiny additional header if memory serves.

Supercards did things somewhat oddly and were it not for the dodgy ram they used they might well have been a top flight GBA device. The EZ4 lite deluxe does have 32Mbytes of PSRAM so you never have to touch the NOR if you do not want but that is a different matter.

Can I assume advance wars (and the save to match it) were using 8:3 naming for this failure to save?

Advance wars 2 USA did get a redump by the way in case you were still using the old Mode7 release http://www.advanscene.com/html/Releases/db...ure.php?id=1045 and http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/293/ have patches.

12. regnad
    OP

Japan
    I edited my previous post while you were writing the above post.

To recap: ALL saves seem to be gone when I return to a game after playing a different one. So it wasn't just that one.

Is it an SD card problem? Is there a way to find out? Is there a solution?

13. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Sounds like either a dead battery (if it has been sitting for ages I can see that), dead SRAM (not seen too many of these) or a dodgy SD card. If you are using one of those microSD to miniSD adapters try to find a miniSD as those adapters cause most of the problems we see although we do normally see an inability to reliably run GBA code.

Most DS slot stuff can snatch some data from GBA SRAM if you want. Write something to the SRAM, take the EZ4 out for a minute or two and try reading with the DS program ( http://blog.davr.org/2007/03/31/eepinator/ at first and there should be others if you prefer).
    There is usually enough power/time if you have a dead battery to flick the power on and off to a have it write.

14. regnad
    OP

Japan
    It's a brand new EZ-Flash cart (although who know what that means -- but I got it from Zero Shipping, which gets really good reviews on ShopTemp).

I'm not using an adapter -- it's a Mini SD.

Looking in the Saver folder, everything there is 0 in size.

15. regnad
    OP

Japan
    Should I reformat my SD card and put everything back on?

16. regnad
    OP

Japan
    Okay, I reformatted the Mini SD, flashed the cart again, and put the ROMs back on. Now after I save, the Saver folder is filled up with lots af files with weird characters.

Waddaya think? Corrupt SD card or problem wit EZF4 cart?

17. Ammako

Canada
    Does it say it's saving when you turn your system back on?
    Are you 100% sure the battery is not dry?
    Are your filenames shorter than 45 characters?

If everything fails, try using the soft reset button combination you set when patching the rom through EZ4Client.
    This normally should backup whatever is in SRAM.

Otherwise, it might be dead SRAM or bad miniSD, just like FAST said.

18. regnad
    OP

Japan
    Here's what seems to be happening:

When the EZF is writing saves, it says it's writing whatever the ROM name is with a sav extension, but when I open the saver folder, it's always something different with some useless extension seemingly fallen from part of the file name, and it's always 0 bytes.

When I open the SD in the computer, I am unable to erase any of the files inside the saver folder or the saver folder itself -- when I try, it always says that the file is no longer there and to check the path.

The SD card I have I am properly formatting, but it is used. But does this sound like a corrupt SD problem or something else? I seem able to write ROMs fine to it on the PC, and they load and run fine, it's just when writing saves to it from the EZF. Should I get another SD?

19. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    The 0k thing and I am guessing for a game like say tetrisworlds.gba the 0k file results in "tetriswo.rld" in which case that is usually the fault of a bad save (99% of the time there it is some form of user error or otherwise trivially fixed). The explorer thing is a classic result of this corruption and a simple disc check will get rid of it (indeed there is even a port of it as DS homebrew although I have forgotten the name- it was named for the unix fsck command though).

Just a quick one in this case- you did update the loader (the EZ4client pack on filetrip http://filetrip.net/f4753-EZ4-Client-2009-04-03.html contains a file called ezfla_up.bin which you should stick on the root of the card and hold when booting to trigger an update for).

20. regnad
    OP

Japan
    I'm at work now (I live in Japan) so I can't do the loader update, but fingers crossed that that's the problem. I'll try when I get home.

Meanwhile, when you say "a simple disc check will get rid of it", does this mean it will fix the SD corruption problem? Or, if the SD is corrupt, does it basically mean I need to get a new one? It behaves identically despite having formatted it a couple of times (I tried a few times just to be sure).