Youkai

Demon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well ...

I am training my arms since some time to build up muscles mainly to burn more kalories and maybe loose some wieght ( i know muscles are heavyer than fat ... )
now i already lost 5kg and my arms got bigger but somehow i feel really weak oO

some time ago i was in a "private" fitness room with a friend and he pushed 80kg without much of a problem 10 times ... i could hardly push 40 kg 1 time oO

i regulary train my arms (every evening) with ~18kg 10 times each arm

but especialy lately I am "weak" and have problems getting the 10 times together ... friend told me i need to let my muscles rest from time to time because training every single day is to much even thaught its not that much training.

Any idea ? like training different or whatever ?
P.S. i don't really want big muscles (i think it looks ugly) but some muscles to loose fat and enough strenght to defend myself would be good.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Your friend is right that you need to take regular breaks between training days in order for your muscles to repair themselves. What you're doing is essentially damaging them, then they repair themselves stronger than before. Training every day is not a good idea and is not worth doing.

Also make sure you're eating plenty of protein and drinking plenty of water.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
[*]Your chest, dude.
If you just train your arms then they can do individual work by themselves, but to push in unison uses your chest muscles as well. When doing pushups, check out how far apart your hands are, and how it feels when you have them at different distances (from right next to each other to far apart). You'll likely find you're good with one, but another's confusingly difficult.

[*]Training works because as you work out, your muscle fibers tear so your body builds new ones (and more to counter the loss). You DO need down time for your body to finish repairing before you should stress it again to get the most benefit.

[*]You don't need as much protein as some people say. It's important to get some in your diet, but the average first-world person already eats more than they need. The actual energy comes from carbohydrates.Air Force basic training taught me this stuff. We covered a variety of different exercises, only did physical training every other day, and had classes to learn about how to keep in shape and what sort of diet we really need.

Youkai

Demon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
lol direkty saying diet is wrong ...
i try to eat less sweets and junkfood and such and using the build up muscles to burn more kcal than i consume.

@shaunj
my friend allways buys protein and keratin and whatever there is but i think I should not buy something like this...
only thing I sometimes do is eat some stuff that has much protein but not that often cuz i heard it makes you fat oO (well if you do not train enough that is)

tried once some bodybuilding stuff that really did boost my power (could train like 4 hours in that fitness room while i normaly have to stop after maximum 2 hours oO) still i try not to do something like this.

oh and using the muscles while they are still "damaged" is no good i assume ?

P.S. i noticed the more my muscles grow the more "hunger" i have ...
my friend who trains since several years eats like 3 times as much as i do oO

------------

Rydian

well for my chest i did crunches some time BUT my bones where always making noises .... so i stopped it cuz i was not sure if its a good idea as long as I have some kilos to much ..

90kg with 1,74m

TheTwoR's

Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
I don't have to deal with exercising my arms
tongue.gif

I'm already the strongest in my school and that's thanks to my little sister. (I lift her A LOT during the day.)

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You need to realize that line about "everything in moderation" is being pushed by the food industry, not dietitians. Junk food and sweets are designed to keep you addicted. Dump that shit cold turkey. Do you want to get serious about losing weight or not ? Don't be a slave to extreme tastes.

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad
Rydian said:
[*]Your chest, dude.
If you just train your arms then they can do individual work by themselves, but to push in unison uses your chest muscles as well. When doing pushups, check out how far apart your hands are, and how it feels when you have them at different distances (from right next to each other to far apart). You'll likely find you're good with one, but another's confusingly difficult.

[*]Training works because as you work out, your muscle fibers tear so your body builds new ones (and more to counter the loss). You DO need down time for your body to finish repairing before you should stress it again to get the most benefit.

[*]You don't need as much protein as some people say. It's important to get some in your diet, but the average first-world person already eats more than they need. The actual energy comes from carbohydrates.Air Force basic training taught me this stuff. We covered a variety of different exercises, only did physical training every other day, and had classes to learn about how to keep in shape and what sort of diet we really need.

^ i concur. Work out your entire body that's all and try putting a day or 2 between training if you feel sore.

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
Working out just your arms is not a good idea, think about the end result.

Also, you need carbs before 6pm so you can have energy while you work out. Eat protein if you wish to get bigger. Make sure your meals are balanced too.

Working out daily is also not a good idea. You can only workout and use energy if your body allows you to and without rest, you can't do much. Here's my workout plan.

Monday: Back, Biceps, and Traps
Tuesday: Shoulders, Calves, and Abs
Wednesday: Rest and/or Cardio
Thursday: Legs except calves
Friday: Chest and Triceps
Saturday & Sunday: Rest

Hope this helps you.
smile.gif

MakiManPR

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
wow thanks to this thread I'd learn a lot
I've been just losing weight and nothing was happening to my muscles for a reason
I guess i was doing all wrong

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Damn, why do people think all they need to train is their arms and chest? Yeah, those will show the most. But is that why you're working out? For show? Work those legs, back and abs! Cardio is very important as well.

Also everything Rydian says is correct, as usual.

I should start a workout plan. I did rowing all last year, and I haven't really been working out since. Should probably start hitting the gym after school. They have really nice facilities here.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Eat lots of proteins, less fat, less sugar, moderate carbs depending on your cardio schedule. If you are fat, it is better to do more reps on a smaller weight. If you are skinny do more weight that you can only do 6 to 8 reps and keep on pushing the weight rather than the reps. Meaning if you can now do 10 reps on 180lbs move to 190lbs and then you should do 6 or 7 reps, when you can do 10 reps on 190 go to 200 and repeat. This helps you get big, but you NEED protein. What Rydian says is partially correct about the protein thing, that is if your body is composed of low amount of muscle. If you want to bench 200 in less time, protein does help. You also need to know what muscle groups are worked in each exorcise, chest is important for pushups and bench press, but it won't help that much on carrying something heavy. You also need to do bicep training, tricep training, upper, lower middle chest training. You should also do some squats as having strong legs can also help you perform cardio better.
As Midna said, he is right, arms are a very little part of fitness. Legs play a huge role, and abs too. Abs are your stability muscles and you need a strong core, legs helps just about everything movement related.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
to get strong muscles, using heavy weights isnt exactly intelligent either

what you're supposed to do is take lighter weights, i'd say 3-5kg maximum and lift them as much as you can muster, you really have to go to the point where it wont get up another time

i think you do this 2 or 3 times a day and you have to take resting periods of 2 or 3 days inbetween.

What you're doing is building up muscle mass. That might look nice, but wont make your muscles much stronger

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Clydefrosch said:

what you're supposed to do is take lighter weights, i'd say 3-5kg maximum and lift them as much as you can muster, you really have to go to the point where it wont get up another time

i think you do this 2 or 3 times a day and you have to take resting periods of 2 or 3 days inbetween.

What you're doing is building up muscle mass. That might look nice, but wont make your muscles much stronger
Really? I used to be able to barely bench 150 now I can do 2 plates on each side (225) in 10 reps because I used that method. I did thing in about 4 months of training.

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
Clydefrosch said:

I don't know about that. I used to use 25lbs dumbbells to to a chest press and now I use 55s. My workout consists of 3 sets and 10-12reps for each exercise.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou