More Modded 360 Worries.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Gaisuto, Aug 26, 2007.

Aug 26, 2007

More Modded 360 Worries. by Gaisuto at 8:36 AM (1,363 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. Gaisuto
    OP

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    Naturally playing the modded 360, and me being overly paranoid, I notice the smallest things when playing games and freak out. Once again I need somebody to calm my conscience. [​IMG]

*BioShock: While playing, the game suddenly stops as if it's loading something and then resumes. When too much is going on at one time, it does this constantly. After playing for a few hours in one session, some sound effects just stop happening.

*Forza Motorsport 2: Noticable clicking during load times. The road occasionally just disappears. Sometimes when racing the 360 disc tray starts making the really loud initial loading sound in the middle of a race.

2. aslacker55

Member aslacker55 I like pie

United States

My 360 with a samsung drive does the same thing with Bioshock. But on my brand new 360 with a hitachi drive, it plays my Bioshock backup perfectly. So the disk is fine, so it must be the lens on my old 360 with a sammy is getting worn out. It's pretty easy to change dvd drives or lens, if yours gets pretty bad.

3. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    So you're saying the 360's disc drive is getting worn out ALREADY?

4. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    I have both exact same problems on my brand new 360, unmodded.

5. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    *Armored Core 4: Just froze on my friend playing the third mission in the entire game.

6. GexX2

Member GexX2 Lurker

United States
    Ya, my friends 360 was a launch, and within a week the drive started grinding when it was opened. After a month the drive stopped opening. His new one doesn't always respond to the open button.

7. KaliKot

KaliKot Newbie

I dont think its with the mods if you look at the 360's reliability history XD

8. aslacker55

Member aslacker55 I like pie

United States
    There has always been a lot of problems with the 360, but I still love it. I heard that the bioshock lagging is happening to people with the real game. I think the game tries to load too much audio at the same time, I notice the slowdowns when I try to play the recordings and trying to fight a splicer at the same time (Only on my sammy drive).

9. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    When you say "started grinding when it was opened." Do you mean the system case being opened or you taking it out of the box the first time? [​IMG]

Thanks again for relieving my conscience. I swear if I ever do get the Red Rings, I'm probably going to cry... [​IMG]

10. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    The BioShock problem can be fixed by leaving and re-entering the area.
    My 360 has been modded for a LONG ASS time now (since Oblivion came out) and I too have a Sammy (MS25). My drive tray sticks all the time, I have to press the button like 10 times to make the tray come out all the way (when it sticks it only comes out about a cm) but all my games work fine (46 games all burnt on verbs).
    A good tip is to let the 360 warm up before booting the game, i.e boot the dash and wait 5 minutes before selecting the game to play. Also try using the same media all the time (verbatim).

11. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    I never thought of that five minute wait thing before, does it really help that much? And all of my games except for three are on Verbatim.

12. T-hug

pip
    United Kingdom
    Well the warm up trick I read about after reading an article by some tech guy in EDGE mag UK. He said that the solder on the GPU is prone to cracking when heated up to extreme temperatures very quickly. When you boot a DVD game in the 360 the GPU reaches this extreme temperature very very quickly (as the dvd drive is housed above the gpu), and can cause the solder to crack (100s of solder points on GPU, under DVD drive). This is the main reason for people getting RROD and also the 'Towel Trick' to fix the RROD is just a way of reaching the temperature even more quickly, in turn melting the cracked solder slightly to reform the bond, stopping RROD.
    Now how this works for making games run better I don't know, but I've been doing this since I read it and it seems to help alot. For instance I recently got Blue Dragon and the game would crash all the bloody time (or give DDE), if I put the 360 on it's side I'd get DDE also, so I tried warming up the console first then booting the game and it has been fine everytime.

The tech guy in EDGE also said you get better air flow and a cooler 360 by playing it upright, as laying it flat 'sandwiches' the GPU between the floor and the dvd drive.

13. necrom

Newcomer necrom Newbie

Belgium
    This is exactly why i am scared to by myself a 360 [​IMG]
    all those weird hardware issues!

14. T-hug

pip
    United Kingdom
    M$ have started to roll out a new model of 360, supposedly addressing all the flaws in previous models. Might be a few months until they are on store shelves though.

15. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    So far the only problems I've had on my 360 is the freezing and the tray sometimes won't eject. I gotta close and eject the tray again for it to open. The freezing I fixed with the intercooler but it is loud. I've only ever had 1 freeze since the intercooler was fitted and that was on forza 2. I played the game for about 3 weeks solid. I've never had the problem of the track vanishing on it.

I've not had problems with Bioshock but I've only played it for just over an hour. My 360 is one of the first ones fitted with the samsung MS25 and the drive is flashed with xtreme 4.3. I've never been banned from live either. I did have problems with Bioshock when burning it using my infiniti DL discs. I kept getting a read error when I'd been playing the game for 5 minutes. I changed discs to the fortis brand and have had no problems so far. The fortis brand uses the same dye as the traxdatas.

16. T-hug

pip
    United Kingdom
    adgloride, just out of curiosity does your tray stick like a cm out, like just the chrome 360 part of the tray? And you hit eject over and over and it eventually comes out all the way? I try holding it down sometimes and it works better, or removing the faceplate altogether. I also noticed when theres no game in the tray if I hit eject tray from the dash it opens fine everytime lol.
    Also wondered if the anti disc-jitter in later firmwares fixes this issue?
    I'm currently running xtreme 5.2d and will probably upgrade to ixtreme once I'm back online at home.