More LEGO and Nintendo content is on the way with the newly revealed Luigi's Mansion playsets

Adding onto what is becoming a wide variety of different Super Mario-themed LEGO playsets is yet another collaboration, this time, focusing on Luigi. Three new LEGO sets have been announced, with each of which being based on the Luigi's Mansion series: the Luigi's Mansion Lab, Entryway, and Haunt-and-Seek sets. You'll be able to play with LEGO versions of King Boo, Professor E. Gadd, the Poltergust, Bogmore, and more. Launching on January 1, 2022, these toys will set fans back $30 for the lab, $40 for the entryway, and $80 for the largest set, the haunt-and-seek.

SDA

Shame Yourself
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The Super Mario 64 playset wasn't enough? They bring you a Luigi's Mansion themed playset as well.
I seriously wonder what in the world is going on with Nintendo.

Reactions: WiiU_user

Frexxos

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As a grown up with two kids I can say: This is only cash grab deluxe. The sets are absolute overprized. The most kids today know mario from maybe mario odyssey but not the original older games. Mostly the parents buy that overprized stuff because they like mario. Testet one set with my kids at friends house. First 5 Minutes fun with the figures. But then it gets boring.
I dont like the "playability" of those sets. Its in my eyes not that for what lego bricks are fun and known.
This is way tooo expensive for what you get.

But its true: "I don't want more money", said Nintendo never.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
$80 for plastic pieces you could print on your own?

That's a confusing argument, can you print at anywhere near this quality? And are you willing to spend the countless hours designing the models, troubleshooting the prints and waiting for each print to finish? At that point $80 seems very attractive to avoid all that needless hassle. But I do agree it is steep and hard to pay for anyway. Only people with a lot of money to spend or enthusiasts would be interested in giving $80 for this.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like Lego a lot, and this set is really cool

But you would have to be so rich to buy all these sets - I sometimes wonder who actually has the money to buy all this stuff

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
As a grown up with two kids I can say: This is only cash grab deluxe. The sets are absolute overprized. The most kids today know mario from maybe mario odyssey but not the original older games. Mostly the parents buy that overprized stuff because they like mario.
In my experience it's mostly the kids that demand this stuff, they like the interactive elements and modularity. And even if they didn't know Mario from video games (there are over 30 Mario titles on the Switch and several on smartphones so I can't see why they wouldn't), Mario is ubiquitous in media, they've heard of him.
Adults generally want a display piece they can build once and keep on a shelf. The Super Mario 64 set for example is aimed at adults. It has a bunch of details that fans will recognize, but you won't see anyone actually playing with it or combining it with other sets, it's a display piece.
These electronic Mario sets are aimed at kids and kids love them. And yes, they're a cash grab. And the fact every single powerup is sold separately and costs a fortune for literally just a hat and pair of pants is annoying. And yes, they're horribly overpriced, but what popular children's toy isn't :glare:

Reactions: Frexxos

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I saw the LEGO Mario sets in-person yesterday, and the design is pretty strange. The pieces are standard LEGO, while the characters are Duplo-style. The result is jarring outside of Youtube videos.

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw the LEGO Mario sets in-person yesterday, and the design is pretty strange. The pieces are standard LEGO, while the characters are Duplo-style. The result is jarring outside of Youtube videos.
Yeah the characters are really disappointing. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo required the characters to be their own completely incompatible thing to literally every other LEGO minifigure ever.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah the characters are really disappointing. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo required the characters to be their own completely incompatible thing to literally every other LEGO minifigure ever.
Sounds very Nintendo.

Reactions: DarkCoffe64

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you think Nintendo is overpriced, you should look at Lego's other offerings. I only got one "new" Lego set when I was a child (in the 1970s!) because of how expensive they were then. Blaming Nintendo for Lego's prices is hilarious. So is the Nintendo bashing in here in general.

And for the record, every product ever made was a cash grab. No one makes products for you with the hope of losing money on them.

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, my kid is 11 years old, and when the Mario set was launched, I was a bit skeptical at first (I´m not a fan of LEGO) but then with a little price drop I made the move. I was really impressed with the toy, and my son was very happy. I knew that there was going to be a berserker barrage of sets and expansions and whatnot, and we got a couple more. But yes, the prices are very expensive, because, even if the toys (Mario and Luigi at least) are electronic, and have some basic sensors, are pretty cool, the surprise element fades away a bit quick. And then they launched more sets, and now this ones. To have all the collection is quite a odyssey on itself. And even if they look cool, they dont add anything more electronic like the base figures, just the same code bars with the sounds we have been hearing over and over again on every set. That's when they dropped the ball, they could have an electronic King Boo, glowing eyes, glowing crown, I don't know, something that has that "novelty feel" like the first Mario that launched some time ago.

I advise to buy them only on price drops, because on full retail price, it is not pretty. Not worth it at that price.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LEGO sets are generally cool, imo, but these Nintendo ones.. nah. As an adult Nintendo fan I don't see the appeal of it.

However, die hard fans will buy it because: It's Nintendo and it's resale value will increase!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu