More and more my M3 Simply will not boot, any solutions?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by AaronMT, Mar 16, 2008.

1. AaronMT
    OP

Newcomer AaronMT Member

Canada
    I am finding that more and more my M3 Simply does not boot unless I both eject it and my MicroSD and reinsert both and try and boot it again. I even try giving them a quick blow because im used to the NES days.

Is this a problem for anyone else? Any solutions? Thanks [​IMG]

2. Rice923

Member Rice923 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm somewhat having the same problem as you. A possible solution could be to clean/rub gently the contact points of your Micro SD card so taht it gets a cleaner contact with the Simply. After you insert the micro back into the Simply, breathe warm air towards the contact points of the Simply. In theory, I thought of doing this because the slight layer of moisture from your breathe would give a more complete contact between the DS and your M3. Surprisingly it works for me everytime now. I also do not need to remove my Micro SD anymore. Just wondering, are you also having issues with the insertion/ejection of the micro sd card? My Micro Sd takes a few pushes to get it to stay inside the M3. It gets kind of annoying.

3. bluebright

Member bluebright GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    I get the same problem but i just put up with re-inserting the card over and over.

4. AaronMT
    OP

Newcomer AaronMT Member

Canada
    I have no problems with the spring on the M3 Simply, the MicroSD card inserts fine.

5. Akotan

Member Akotan Mathematical!

Brazil
    I'm having this problem too... I only take the cart off and put it on again. My mom plays the system and she keep pressing the R button when turns NDS on. I think it may the cause this Simply behavior but it may have another things impeding NDS to boot the cart properly...

6. arsehat

Member arsehat GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Yes, and yes, and you're welcome [​IMG]

The problem is to do with how well the M3S makes contact with the connector in the DS. Sometimes it'll make contact well enough, sometimes it might not.

Some people never experience this problem at all, some may see it happen more and more frequently over time. Interestingly, I've seen more than one DS that has the same kind of issues with original cartridges too, so I suspect it's a combination of manufacturing tolerances for the flashcart maybe being a little different from original carts, and wear and tear on the DS. It could also be a design defect, DSTTs and EZ-V's I've seen have been a little more snug in the slot than stock R4's/M3S's have been.

The fix I use is to cut a paper shim from the thin card that comes with the Kingston MicroSD cards and place it behind the board inside the R4 or M3Simply's case, behind where the fingers are. I cut around the board with a craft knife, punch a hole through the paper, and trim it off about five mm past the hole - so the post in the case will hold it in place, but it won't affect the thickness of the cartridge further back.

The cartridge usually ends up fractionally thicker than it was before, and that can make it a slightly tighter fit in the slot, but none of the DSs that had problems with the cartridges before this was done has had a problem with them since. When friends had me get an R4 for them, I'd almost always fit a shim before it went off to its new home after I found out about this - and I've never had a problem with any of the ones that had shims fitted at the very start.

7. AaronMT
    OP

Newcomer AaronMT Member

Canada
    Have you any visual diagram or a picture of this on your system?

8. arsehat

Member arsehat GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Hmmm... let's see, no I don't.

But I can gratuitiously rip off an image from the review here, and edit it to show what I mean:

[​IMG]

Follow that link for something in which you can actually see the lines and blobs and whatever.

Okay - first step, get the board out of the R4DS/M3Simply and place it chip-up on a piece of thick paper or thin card - I find the info sheet that comes in the pack with the Kingston Micro SDs perfect. I usually align the end with the fingers on it with an edge, to minimise the amount of cutting.

Then, using a craft knife, carefully cut along the board edges indicated by the red splodgy lines and as far back up the sides as you like. Poke a philips head screwdriver through the hole indicated by the purple blob to poke a hole through the paper - you can tidy it up later. Then, remove the board and cut across somewhere around where that blue splodgy line is. Tidy it up, place it in the shell, put the board back, screw it all together, and you should be set. You may have to tidy things up a little, and I sometimes do some fine trimming to adjust once I've put the shim in the shell (but not the board!), and I may have forgotten some of the finer details because I can just about do this in my sleep and don't need to think about it much these days - but that should cover most of what's necessary.

Clear as mud?