• Start date
  • Views 3,584
  • Replies 29
D

Deleted_171835

OP
nintendo-3ds-3d-gaming-console-0.jpg

QUOTE said:
The information comes from Eurogamer, who say their info is from two independent, unconnected sources...

- once again, no TEGRA chip
- Japanese partner for the 3D acceleration hardware
- codename is "Nintendo CTR"
- this matches up with the FFC board picture from a few weeks back
- FCC board images may have been made public before they should have been
QUOTE said:
Seems believable enough. CTR = Control?

Source: GoNintendo

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
xcdjy said:
Seems more believable than the super-badass-360-in-your-pocket rumour.
Yes, Nintendo releasing a handheld with such power is doubtful, especially being more powerful than the wii.

Will the 3DS be more powerful? Undoubtabtly, but it's not going to be a powerhouse, Nintendo knows all too well they can deliver superb experiences on under-powered hardware, that is in contrast to the 360 or the PSP.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RupeeClock said:
xcdjy said:
Seems more believable than the super-badass-360-in-your-pocket rumour.
Yes, Nintendo releasing a handheld with such power is doubtful, especially being more powerful than the wii.

Will the 3DS be more powerful? Undoubtabtly, but it's not going to be a powerhouse, Nintendo knows all too well they can deliver superb experiences on under-powered hardware, that is in contrast to the 360 or the PSP.
Like it's been said before the 3DS might NEED to be more powerful than a wii, due to it being 3D while at the same time needing to keep up with other features. But who knows, I have no opinion on how powerful the 3DS may turn out to be. Oh well, only 10 more days till all (or at least some) will be answered.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
BobTheJoeBob said:
Perhaps it's going to be mean something in Japanese like Wii = Revolution.
CTR is just what Nintendo developers call the device.
Just like the DS was called NTR.

jackdanielchan

Trophies
XP
Country
CTR? Isn't that what they called Crash Team Racing? That would be pretty cool for 3DS though...

*Off Topic
Has anybody seen the new Crash Racing for iPod Touch/iPhone? They've finally reverted back to the classic Crash character models...

MahouMaster

Trophies
XP
Country
BobTheJoeBob said:

...I'm sorry what?
Wii does not mean Revolution in Japanese. For a start there's no longer a "wi" sound in Japanese. Second, Wii is a nonsense word, selected as it sounds like "we". Shocking, I know.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
MahouMaster said:
BobTheJoeBob said:

...I'm sorry what?
Wii does not mean Revolution in Japanese. For a start there's no longer a "wi" sound in Japanese. Second, Wii is a nonsense word, selected as it sounds like "we". Shocking, I know.

Aye, Revolution was just a code name, like Nitro for the DS. And Iris. Also, how could CTR mean anything in Japanese? There are no vowels, if it was a Japanese word, even if the symbols that make it up didn't have vowel sounds assigned to them (I don't know Japanese, so who knows), when converting it to Romanji, they would have been added.

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Full article from Eurogamer:
QUOTE said:
NVIDIA unconnected with 3DS

June 5th, 2010

Mobile industry insiders, speaking with Digital Foundry, have said that the much-rumoured tie-up between Nintendo and NVIDIA for the console-maker's auto-stereoscopic 3D handheld is not happening.

According to our two independent, unconnected sources, the Nintendo 3DS - almost certain to be revealed at E3 - features a design totally divorced from the NVIDIA Tegra SoC (system on chip) initially thought to have been powering the DS successor. It's now thought that Nintendo has instead chosen a Japanese partner for the 3D acceleration hardware within the 3DS.

Sources also confirmed that the 3DS' development codename is "Nintendo CTR", meaning that this motherboard picture we ran a couple of weeks back, sourced from the FCC website, is indeed something akin to a development or test station for the new handheld.

This strongly suggests that 3DS does feature a widescreen "glasses free" stereoscopic 3D display, along with a more conventional 4:3 2D display beneath it. Interestingly, it appears that the images of the board published on the FCC website were uploaded in error: they were supposed to have been made public 10 months after the submission in April this year, presumably after the 3DS itself ships.

Meanwhile, IGN corroborates the story that NVIDIA is out of the picture, quoting "off-the-record" developer sources as saying that the 3DS is up there in the power stakes with PS3 and Xbox 360. It's a statement that needs to be taken with barrel-loads of salt bearing in mind the enormous power draw such a chipset would require. If nothing else, Nintendo has a strong track record in excellent battery life with every one of its previous handhelds.

Indeed, even the four-core PowerVP chip said to be at the heart of the PSP2 offers a performance level some way between the original Xbox and the 360. A more modest GPU is therefore a much more realistic proposition, especially bearing in mind that even the iPhone 3GS with its PowerVR SGX535 architecture doesn't exactly command outstanding battery life in 3D gaming.

All of which is interesting tittle-tattle in the here and now, but let's hope that the Nintendo E3 conference on June 15, kicking off at 5pm UK time, will offer more concrete answers.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I very much doubt the final unit will feature that 4:3 lower screen. The early reports indicated that the "gap between the two screens had been reduced to practically nothing, allowing both screens to function as one if the developer wanted to do it", and if the two screens were different sizes that wouldn't work nearly as well.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SoulSnatcher said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
CTR is just what Nintendo developers call the device.
Just like the DS was called NTR.
But NTR is short for Nitro. And for the Wii, RVL is short for Revolution. Nitro and Revolution were codenames.
And Ninty's probably going to announce this codename at E3.

And 'Wii' doesn't mean anything in any language. It's just some random thing Nintendo came up with because it sounds like 'We'.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Why am I always late to the party?