Hacking Moonshell's being crap on me with non-MP3 music

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Folder sorting is an answer huh? Okay guys I'll keep that in mind and try it. Thanks.
tongue.gif

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Echo said:
Well this sometimes happens to me actually. When I was watching FF - VII Advent Children on my DS using moonshl on the SuperCard DS One v3, it would buffer a lot. Like the sound would go but the video it self would freeze for like a second or few.
That has nothing to do with his problem. His problem is like this: you've got "bob.mp3" and "charlie.midi" and you start playing bob.mp3 then hit R to advance to the next track. Moonshell sees that charlie.midi is a valid media file and tries to advance to it, but somewhere in the middle it gets screwed up since it's a different file type and freezes entirely.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Dan has to be right since playing midi, and playing mp3 individually no problems of any sort occur, but only when switching between types. My belief is that moonshell doesn't "clean up" variables when switching to a new file type. It's actually a very trivial bug, and a very annoying one at it too. I'm surprised it hasn't been addressed in as long as moonshell has been around for. Are people who play ogg and mid so few that nobody bothered?

IOwnAndPwnU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Echo said:
I just made a folder with all my Music called " Music " xD

Well this sometimes happens to me actually. When I was watching FF - VII Advent Children on my DS using moonshl on the SuperCard DS One v3, it would buffer a lot. Like the sound would go but the video it self would freeze for like a second or few.

Ahaha, I only have 2 folders in my Media. Lolz
Music and Videos
I don't have OGG, only MP3.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could convert the MIDI files to mp3 with certain conversion programs, but then you'd lose the entire purpose of keeping them as MIDI files (small filesize). The conversion would most likely take just as much time as it takes to play the MIDI back, as MIDI files are more like sheet music than actual recordings, so the program has to first play it back on the spot and simply record whatever it produces.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I know, and because of this I asked "what about midi". Not all converters have a built-in synthethizer. And yes it loses the whole purpose of midi to make a 200KB song into a 4MB mp3. And anyway why do I have to do this just to play music properly in moonshell?

Xeijin

Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
ENDscape said:
Isnt MIDI a music that doesnt have vocals?

A MIDI file is basically a set of instructions that tells the computer (or other device, you can get MIDI keyboards for instance) how to play a certain tune with the instruments it has built in. A bit unscientific but there you go.

That means it's not a "proper" sound file as nothing is actually recorded. Hence no Vocals.

IOwnAndPwnU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is the file extension .smf?

If it is, can you tell me where I can convert a MP3 to a .smf so I can plug my USB drive into my piano.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Then convert your MP3s to MIDIs. Or as most people are doing, put them all in seperate folders.

I would just keep it in seperate folders. It saves you storage capacity in your SD Card.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Echo said:
Then convert your MP3s to MIDIs.
That's... not possible, at least not in the way you're thinking. To go again with the music reference, that's like trying to convert a recording of an orchestra back into the sheet music with a software program. This analogy is very accurate, as again, MIDI files are almost exactly sheet music, just in their own format.

If you have a single instrument playing and no vocals you can sometimes get an "mp3 to midi" converter to work, but 99% of the time they'll produce something completely unintelligible.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I tried some MP3 to MIDI software before, it can only convert into one instrument, it can't pick the instrumental counterparts from a song. That would be like... "reverse engineering" music huh? XD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: Oh @RedColoredStars yeah thats sad :sad: i feel it.