Moonshell shittieshell

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Topfragger, May 11, 2008.

May 11, 2008

Moonshell shittieshell by Topfragger at 12:00 PM (4,334 Views / 0 Likes) 28 replies

1. Topfragger
    OP

Member Topfragger GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    allright, i think Moonshell isn't all its cracked up to be,
    the shell stands out in the fact it's kinda a pretty hollow shell, the controls aren't very obvious or intuitive, everytime you go into options you must reset the program, i can't figure out how to use the softvolume control, and i've spent some time exploring moonshell

the help files (if there are any) are in a mess of piss poor engrish chinese and computer symbols, and all chinese program developers have to make their manuals with as little Enter key usage as possible, so expect to scroll the bar to the side and back everytime you read a line....

i liked the look of M3's built in media player, looked allot cleaner and simple with big fat buttons that indicate their functions with well known symbols.

play stop pause scan back and forth, and the progress bar and volume.
    why can't moonshine be like that? but aside from that yeah, i think it's not perfect.

but that's not my main concern, the DPG tools for moonshell are completely worthless, they only encode 4 formats which are very little in difference, and any computer can support, AVI WMV MPG DivX and such, Wheres the MP4 wheres the VOB support? wheres the more detailed options for encoding? wheres the instructions?

the moonshell encoder tools suck, and the lack of MP4 really annoys me, because i have a PSP movie creator which rips movies into MP4 format, with many variable compression options, but i gotta pirate the new version since Vista won't run the 2005 version, and PQD are greedy and want people to pay again just to use the same program in Vista, the new version has nothing new about it whatsoever that i have seen in the trial version, so they can sit on a pole and slowly rotate on it.
    Does anybody know some good FREE alternate programs that work WELL that can support a broader array of formats to be encoded for DS playback?
    thank you.

because the software for the GBA movie player supported almost every media format under the sun, even VOB (DVD file).

2. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    You're doing it wrong

I use BatchDPG and it supports everything I've thrown at it so far, try that. As far as I know there is no real competitor to Moonshell that is worth mentioning, but I don't use my DS much any more so I may be wrong.

3. Topfragger
    OP

Australia
    Batch DPG thanks!
    oh yeah i forgot, i tried to convert some hour length movies that were in AVI format and the bastard piece of trash says "cannot determine movie size" and shuts down.

No i can't use M3 media player it's housed in the M3 adapters remember?

I tried the X and Y it didn't do anything, though i read it's instructions didn't say anything about it....
    i'll try it again.

4. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    X and Y obviously only do anything when you're playing back a media file (mp3, video, etc). Look on the bottom screen to the volume indicator to see that it's taking effect.

Moonshell is a great all-purpose media tool, which is why it's so popular. It's got decent mp3 quality, text viewing, image viewing, game music playback (NSF SPC etc), video playing, and homebrew launching on older slot-2 devices. DSOrganize can do many of these functions as well, so that's an alternative for you.

As for conversion, I mostly use BatchDPG. The instructions for this are fairly simple - install AVIsynth, then install the right codecs so you can play back the video file in Windows Media Player, and then it will work in BatchDPG. Personally I use the latest unofficial version by Firon, though there are updated unofficial versions by others if you'd like to try them out. The one I use is at http://gbatmw.net/index.php?topic=1840.0

Your other options for movie playback are Tuna-viDS (must convert to specific type of AVI file), DSVideo (doesn't work on all devices), and Spinal's movie viewing app which I can't remember the name of.

5. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    I believe its just called "Spinal's Movie Player".

6. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom

close enough.

7. strata8

Member strata8 Look! A pointless distraction!

Australia
    You'll need to download some codecs. If Windows Media Player can't play it, then you can't convert it. There is a decent codec pack here: CCCP . Advanced options can found on the "Option (O)" menu.

8. m-p{3}

Member m-p{3} GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    If Moonshell could be merged with the DSMPlay GUI, it would be awesome. Would be nice to be able to play DPG into DSMPlay

9. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I never could get my SPC files to be recognized. NSF and whatever the GameBoy dumps were called worked, but not SPC--I'm not quite sure why, but it sucks for me, as I prefer game music a lot of the time :/

10. DanTheManMS

United States
    Honestly I've only ever tried Super Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger SPC files, which both worked fine in Moonshell for me.

If you're okay with not using Moonshell, you could try PocketSPC (make sure you use the version that packages SPC files into a WMB-capable .nds file if you're using a slot-1 device). It's not quite as versatile, but it gets the job done. It's the engine behind the Moonshell SPC player.

11. Kellicros

Member Kellicros GBAtemp Fan

I have got my FF6 SPC pack working find on Moonshell for ages now...

12. SleepingDragon

Member SleepingDragon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Moonshell seems to work better for me when I use SUPER, instead of batchdpg to convert the video files.

13. Topfragger
    OP

Australia
    If anyone can give me the best option
    ie, best as in free, VOB support, effectiveness go for it.

i think that there should be a Moonshell V2 with a much simplier interface and polished look.

14. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Feel free to take up C/++ and make it then.

15. DanTheManMS

United States
    Of course, you'd have to settle for v1.6x unless you wish to pay the several thousand dollars for a license to the ARM SDT. Moonlight used the 30 day trial to make necessary optimizations for 1.7x, which is why there haven't been any updates to the Moonshell core since that point.

16. RyukeDragon

Newcomer RyukeDragon Advanced Member

United States
    Oh shit, that's why? Wish I had several thousand dollars :/

17. krazykirk

Member krazykirk GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    You're sure complaining a lot about something that's completely free... If you're having so much trouble, feel free to obtain the source code and fix it yourself.

18. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Did you guys have to do anything extra, or did it come working "out of the box?" 'Cause not even my readmes say SPC files are supported--and I've checked the newest version from this site.

19. Sukasa

Newcomer Sukasa Newbie

Canada
    Works out of the box.

My biggest complaint isn't even the fault of moonshell- I can't write an MSP for it, but that's because of some stupid issue with my devkitpro version (that I"m fixing BTW)

The ONLY issue I have with MS itself is that it doesn't seem to start playing files when I turn it on like it used to, but that's not too much of a problem really.

20. Swip

Member Swip GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    I use m3 sakura to play videos.