Hacking Moonshell on Acekard 2 as Default OS, and AKAIO as Sub OS.

Vampirex

Dhampir
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

NEWEST UPDATE!!!!!! AKAIO 1.7 + Autoboot Moonshell 2.10 Works Perfect with AK2 2.1. Go to http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=215...5&start=195 , Im posted my findings in there. Just wanted to update here so people know Akaio 1.7 works w/ Moonshell 2.

Moonshell 2.09+AKAIO 1.5.1 (Normmatt's 2.09 Fix + using Xenon++ moonshl2alt.nds to autoboot to moonshell2) Works great on Acekard 2!
Please use CannonFoddr's Guide. Works perfectly on Acekard 2 and Acekard 2i. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=215395

UPDATE 05/29/09: I Have made a Demonstration Video on Youtube.
YouTube Video Demonstration *Click Show*

**PAST UPDATES**
UPDATE 05/12/09: Cheats work in Moonshell 2 using AKAIO. Check Below For More Information

UPDATE 05/03/09: Moonshell 2 Stable is out!, and it runs perfectly with this guide.

Before Posting anything regarding my guide. Please note that I only have ACEKARD 2 ver2.1 only. I cannot test Acekard 2i, RPG, w/e acekard out there, unless you have some to donate lol! Also this GUIDE is meant to be used w/ AKAIO custom Firmware. I don't know if this method will work w/ the Acekard 2 official firmware, you can try and let me know.

**CONFIRMED NOT WORKING**
- Acekard 2i, Acekard R.P.G. (Note: Normmatt's Loader is for Acekard 2.1 Only) ---
Solution: YSMENU confirmed to work on Acekard 2i. Check out Blackiris or CannonFoddr 's guide linked below.

Normmatt said:
For the past few days I've been working on a nds loader for Moonshell2 which uses the ak2loader from akaio to run commercial games straight from moonshell2. As of tonight its working mostly fine, there is atleast one known issue in that it will default too Quicksave mode (Green loading screen). You can hold down A to use non dma mode (Blue Loading screen) but you cannot use dma mode (Red Loading screen).

To install it simply extract the nds file into the moonshl2\extlink folder on your microsd, This will only work on the AK2 not AKRPG or AK+, sorry but I do not like the AKRPG and I do not have an AK+.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: In order for commercial games to run in Moonshell, they must be on the root of the SD card. DS games won't load in Folders. If you must have your games in a folder for some reason, there is another method. You must use Ysmenu Loader instead of AKAIO.

If This Guide Does Not Work For You. Other Guides That May Be Useful

( Moonshell 2 & Ysmenu Guide by Blackiris: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=149734 ) .
( Moonshell 2 & YSMENU Guide for AK2i by CannonFoddr: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?act=ST&f=177&t=168077

**Moonshell 2 & AKAIO Guide** [/b]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have replaced my default OS to Moonshell 2 Stable, with Normmatt's AKAIO Loader ( nds loader for moonshell ) and still able to keep/use AKAIO when i "exit to firmware".

Here are my steps.

NOTE BEFORE STARTING: Normaatt's LOADER IS ONLY FOR ACEKARD 2! A2i or AK RPG not compatible!

Requirements:
-Acekard 2
-AKAIO 1.4.1 installed on micro SD CARD. ( AKAIO Thread : http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=140917 )
-Micro SD
-Moonshell 2 Stable ( http://mdxonline.dyndns.org/ )
-Normaatt's AKAIO Loader ( http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=138693 )

1) Download Moonshell 2 & Extract it to Desktop.

2) Copy moonshl2 folder (where u extracted moonshell 2) into the root of the SD card.

3) Rename /akmenu4.nds to akmenu4.nds.bak (Backup the AKAIO menu)

4) Run the AutoDLDIPatch.exe ( in the misctools Moonshell 2 comes with ) and copy the file : moonshl2_DirectBoot_AK2_Acekard 2.nds to the root of SD card.

5) Moonshell 2 is set to Japanese by default. Moonshell 2 has included LanguageSelect.exe. Run that if you want to change to English etc.

6) Rename moonshl2_DirectBoot_AK2_Acekard 2.nds to akmenu4.nds. (make sure to back up your old akmenu4.nds before!)

7) Copy the file akmenu4.nds.bak to /moonshl2/resetmse/ on the sd card.

8) Then rename akmenu4.nds.bak to RPGS.nds ( Now you can use the Exit to Firmware in Moonshell to boot AKAIO (Press start in Moonshell) )

9) Download Normmatt's AKAIO Loader and place the file nds.akaio.nds in \moonshl2\extlink ( this will enable rom loading in moonshell )

10) Now your Ready to Enjoy Moonshell as Default OS and Still able to use AKAIO. ( M3 Sakura Look alike weeee )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TIPS:

*Enable Soft Reset in AKAIO. Soft-resetting in game will lead you back to Moonshell 2. (using L+R+A+B+DOWN)

*You can return to Moonshell 2 from AKAIO without the need of soft-reset. Just go to the \__aio folder and edit the file globalsettings.ini, and delete akmenu4.nds from the hiddenFileNames, Now ak4menu.nds (moonshell loader) won't be hidden within AKAIO anymore. Now you can run akmenu4.nds within AKAIO to return to Moonshell 2 easily.

*CHEAT: Go into AKAIO's Firmware. And select the cheats you would like to activate for the specific game & Press Start to save. Once Saved, go into the Rom settings of the desired game,Enable Cheat/Action Replay. Now everytime you load that game, either in Moonshell 2 or AKAIO, the cheats selected and saved will load everytime until you go back to AKAIO and change the settings or cheats.

******Other stuff you might be interested.*******

GBA Mode Switcher ( Switch GBA mode with any loaders )
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=159019

Thanks to Linoul for the links.
QUOTE(linoul @ May 4 2009, 10:10 PM) *
emulator loader (can autoboot)
NesDS http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=5803
NeoDS http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=5804

avi player loader
tunavids http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=5805

GBA ExpLoader http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=5806

Beige

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This method will not work on Acekard 2i, though. Bummer.

Why? I just tried it out. AKAIO runs fine, but once I try to run Moonshell (either Direct Boot or standard) it won't work, it says it can't find the system file.

italianmod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadoWolF XF said:

Why? I just tried it out. AKAIO runs fine, but once I try to run Moonshell (either Direct Boot or standard) it won't work, it says it can't find the system file.

Confirmed
cry.gif
"System File is Missing" hmmm i wonder which file it is talking about

Althought I believe you can just have AKAIO autoboot into Moonshell

Vampirex

Dhampir
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
italianmod said:
ShadoWolF XF said:

Confirmed
cry.gif
"System File is Missing" hmmm i wonder which file it is talking about

Althought I believe you can just have AKAIO autoboot into Moonshell

Im sorry guys, as i only have Acekard 2 ver 2.1. I cannot test any other Acekards... But Anyways, Normmatt made the AKAIO loader for Acekard 2 ONLY!

italianmod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vampirex said:
Im sorry guys, as i only have Acekard 2 ver 2.1. I cannot test any other Acekards... But Anyways, Normmatt made the AKAIO loader for Acekard 2 ONLY!

I don't think the loader even matters... yet. I renamed moonshl2.nds to akmenu4.nds and tried booting up and I got the "System File is Missing" error. Unless all the steps listed above need to be performed in order for this to work, but in theory renaming a file to akmenu4.nds should cause it to boot when you load the Acekard into your DSi.

Vampirex

Dhampir
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
italianmod said:
Vampirex said:

I don't think the loader even matters... yet. I renamed moonshl2.nds to akmenu4.nds and tried booting up and I got the "System File is Missing" error. Unless all the steps listed above need to be performed in order for this to work, but in theory renaming a file to akmenu4.nds should cause it to boot when you load the Acekard into your DSi.

I'm sorry to hear that, maybe there would be another version coming out soon to support DSi?

Akothegreat

Trophies
XP
Country
Vampirex said:
5)Then rename akmenu4.nds.bak to RPGS.nds ( Now you can use the Exit to Firmware in Moonshell to boot AKAIO (Press start in Moonshell) )
It's AK2S.nds for AK2
Pressing start then highlighting the bottom option changes the text if the file is incorrect or missing
QUOTE(Vampirex @ May 2 2009, 08:24 AM) 6) Download Normmatt's AKAIO Loader and place the file nds.akaio.nds in \moonshl2\extlink ( this will enable rom loading in moonshell )
This causes check disk.nds, image viewer.nds and morning timer.nds not to load anymore though

Vampirex

Dhampir
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Akothegreat said:
Vampirex said:
5)Then rename akmenu4.nds.bak to RPGS.nds ( Now you can use the Exit to Firmware in Moonshell to boot AKAIO (Press start in Moonshell) )
It's AK2S.nds for AK2
Pressing start then highlighting the bottom option changes the text if the file is incorrect or missing
QUOTE(Vampirex @ May 2 2009, 08:24 AM) 6) Download Normmatt's AKAIO Loader and place the file nds.akaio.nds in \moonshl2\extlink ( this will enable rom loading in moonshell )
This causes check disk.nds, image viewer.nds and morning timer.nds not to load anymore though

This guide is for AKAIO Firmware. Im not sure AK2S.nds is for? ( Acekard Original Firmware? )

And Normmatt's AKAIO loader is for moonshell to run commercial roms in moonshell. For AKAIO only!

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
Yay. I'm not the only one that cannot load MS2 on an Acekard 2i! I thought it was my fault
tongue.gif

Akothegreat

Trophies
XP
Country
I know the difference now, I was using moonshell(64KB one) and not an alternate loader so it's AK2S.nds
Ignore my previous post

Vampirex

Dhampir
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ShadoWolF XF said:

I have seen threads that certain Moonshell 2 Beta X work on Acekard 2i. Maybe you should try those out! Let me know if it works. =)

wilsonramal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
adrian2040 said:
I guess asking for cheat support using Moonshell as the OS is too much to ask?

If you use Normaatt's AKAIO Loader, u can! ¨Just go into AKAIO's Firmware and select the cheats you would like to activate for the specific game and press start to save. Once Saved, go into the Rom settings of the desired game,Enable Cheat/Action Replay. Now everytime you load that game, either in Moonshell 2 or AKAIO, the cheats selected and saved will load everytime until you go back to AKAIO and change the settings or cheats.¨

The only con about Normaatt's AKAIO Loader is that your games need to be on the root of your microsd.

adrian2040

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
wilsonramal said:
adrian2040 said:

If you use Normaatt's AKAIO Loader, u can! ¨Just go into AKAIO's Firmware and select the cheats you would like to activate for the specific game and press start to save. Once Saved, go into the Rom settings of the desired game,Enable Cheat/Action Replay. Now everytime you load that game, either in Moonshell 2 or AKAIO, the cheats selected and saved will load everytime until you go back to AKAIO and change the settings or cheats.¨

The only con about Normaatt's AKAIO Loader is that your games need to be on the root of your microsd.
That's a huge con, since I have so many games that all of them being in the root of the card would mean some wouldn't load. At least that happened with the DSTT. Maybe it doesn't happen with the Acekard, but I'm not sure. I have an Acekardi anyway, so I can't use this. Hopefully a new version will allow it to work in the DSi version of the card.

Vampirex

Dhampir
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
adrian2040 said:
wilsonramal said:
adrian2040 said:

That's a huge con, since I have so many games that all of them being in the root of the card would mean some wouldn't load. At least that happened with the DSTT. Maybe it doesn't happen with the Acekard, but I'm not sure. I have an Acekardi anyway, so I can't use this. Hopefully a new version will allow it to work in the DSi version of the card.

Well, Con or not.. That's a personal opinion. I have all my games on the root file, and I hide files that I don't to load,need or see.
The only reason .nds have to be in the root. Is because Moonshell is only a media player homebrew only! Never intended to run commercial roms. (but thx to homebrew scene, now we can call it a loader)

But if you really want to use Moonshel 2 and have roms in folders. Use YSMENU instead of AKAIO loader.. but notice, you won't be able to cheat within Moonshell w/ YSMENU.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.