moonshell mp3 playback quality

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by lum, Feb 15, 2007.

1. lum
    OP

lum Hunter lvl

Nov 6, 2002
    i was wondering if i was using earphones to listen to the mp3s on moonshell, would the quality be equally as good as, say running the same mp3s on ipod or a mp3 player?

2. Destructobot

Destructobot Crave the Hammer

Oct 15, 2006
    United States
    Portland, OR
    No, the DS is not designed for high quality sound.

3. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    I think it's okay. Not the best sound quality ever, but I've seen dedicated mp3 players with worse sound output. If you have a DS and several gigs of flashcards/memory cards (and you carry the DS around already), there's no point in getting an mp3 player only for the sake of a barely noticeable change in quality. And even then, to get noticeably better quality, you'd have to cough up the moneyz for an iRiver, iAudio or Creative Zen. The DS is good enough as an mp3 player.

4. bonethugs1999

bonethugs1999 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    i don't really know what everybody else is using, but for me the quality is perfect. I compared between my ds lite and ipod and I didn't notice any difference [​IMG]

5. fli_guy84

fli_guy84 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 20, 2006
    Malaysia
    I think the quality is pretty nice when paired with my AudioTechnica earphones [​IMG]

6. captain^k

captain^k GBAtemp Regular

Mar 20, 2003
    New Zealand
    The lower quality, is that a limitation of the software currently available or the fact that the NDS just has an average sound chip in it?

7. skullstatue

skullstatue Banned

Banned
    Dec 3, 2006
    United States
    I've heard (can't remember where) that the DS can only output 128KB audio. I'm not sure if this is 100% true, but it sound's likely. MP3's I play on my Insignia sound different from the ones on my DS sometimes. You won't notice at all unless you have some super high quality earbuds.

8. reilina

reilina just a neophyte...

Feb 11, 2007
    United States
    California
    i dont see any difference, i have a creative zen micro.

DS lite with with any slot1 flahscart cost less than $200
    you can watch movies, play games, listen to music, go online with NDS browser
    what more can u ask for?

9. Little

Little I r Little

Nov 20, 2006
    England
    sound quality is definitely better with the headphones I think =) Speakers are kinda poo.