Moonshell and equalizer for the DS.

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Gimmy, Nov 1, 2006.

Nov 1, 2006
  1. Gimmy
    OP

Newcomer Gimmy Advanced Member

Israel
    What is the latest version of the Moonshell (for M3)??
    Mainly I'm using my M3 media player to play mp3, but the soud quality is sucks!, is there an equalizer program for the DS? or an mp3 player with equalizer (in case Moonshell doesn't)?

2. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
  3. Gimmy
    OP

Newcomer Gimmy Advanced Member

Israel
    Thanx for the link, ill check it out.
    basiclly I'm looking for a goon mp3 player that has good sound qualty.

4. heyyouguys

Member heyyouguys GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You may want to stick with a real mp3 player (ipod, etc...). DS not such a great sounding one, but it does work as one.

5. imgod22222

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    Well, are you sure its not your audio files that suck? IMO the DS is great for an mp3 player. Never skips, all my MP3's are encoded at high bitrates (because SD's don't have enough space for lossless, mp3 was the next best thing)
    But if you want an equalizer... I don't know of any homebrew with one... Sorry. However, if there was any mp3 with SRS WOW effects and Trubass (like in WMP) that would ROCK with my heavy metal!

6. Madrigal

Member Madrigal GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I've read a while back that the DS doesn't have the power to do EQ from the Moonshell guy. He gave it a try and it made the songs skip. Don't know how true that is.

Either way, the DS just isn't a great device for playing songs anyway as it's sound chip is pretty cheap and meant for playing games and not bass heavy music. Just listen to a song on the DS, and then listen to a song on a decent MP3 player with the EQ off and you will notice quite a big difference in the sound quality.

Now if someone came out with a flashcart with a built in pre-amp, that might make a big difference...

7. Firon

Member Firon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The DS has only a 10-bit DAC, don't expect sound quality as good as a real DAP from it.
    If you want it to sound better, go get a real music player.

Madrigal: there's always the play-yan, has its own mp3 decoder and DAC/amp. [​IMG]

8. imgod22222

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    If you're so concerned, make a slot-1 soluton that has a better audio chip, and has its own dedicated headphone jack. Design your own PCB!
    -OR-
    Get an iPod like the rest of the world! (Even though no one likes spending money. Everyone has an ipod. Just follow people until they drop their iPod and like an S.O.B. swipe it.)
    *IF YOU DO THE SWIPING THING, I HATE YOU!*