Hacking Moonshell (2) as a Acekard 'Plugin' - is it possible ?

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
As most know - While using Acekard file selection, depending on what you select Acekard will open it with an appropriate player

ogg/mp3 > lmp-ng.ak4
dsm > Dsmplay.ak4
txt > Textview.ak4
dsv > DSVideo.ak4 (note: my version of this is a patched '.nds' one from DSVideo site using their 'Acekard [untested]' DLDI - then renamed to '.ak4')

So I was wondering, Is it possible to get Moonshell (v2) to be a 'plugin' as well ? & what other 'plugins' are avaliable ??? (PDF veiw perhaps ??)

I didn't like Moonshell (v1) because there wasn't any graphical 'Play/Stop' etc - but the newer v2 does & I'd like it if I could use AK file selection to select a file & then Moonshell 2 opens up to play it, rather than using AK to select moonshell, then use Moonshell to open File.

I have managed to get Moonshell 2 to 'reset' back to AK Menu by renaming the 'reset.mse' from the v1 Moonshell download on Acekard Website - to 'RPGS.nds' & placing this in Moonshell 2 'resestmse' folder (the only problem is you need to go through Moonshells menus to select 'Reset to Firmware' - instead of 'Start/Select' that you use to do on v1)

If someone can come up with how to do it - step-by-step instruction would be nice. by the way - don't want to use AKAIO (with it's added features) as I've tried it & had trouble with Save games lockups

Thanx in advance

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
AFAIK moonshell cannot be used as a plugin as it does not support getting argv() (aka: it is not possible to start moonshell with a file name/path and have it open it, unless moonlight decides to add that I doubt it will happen.)

Just found out that moonshell supports the "ROMEO2" FPGA sound thingin, though
tongue.gif

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
cory1492 - Thanx for the info, but none of it means anything to me (I'm guessing 'argv()' is a programming term & what the hell is 'ROMEO2' )

but since posting, I've been doing a little experimenting - & although it's not a TRUE plugin, I have managed to get Moonshell (v2) to start up if you select a DPG file in AK 2i File selection.

The only problem is that you STILL need to browse using moonshell (v2) to play the file - although if you keep all your Movies in one folder then when MoonShell starts up - it's could already be in the appropriate folder, so just select the file. I have even manged to figure out how to 'soft-reset' when you select it from the Menu 'Reset to firmware'

If anyone wants to know here's how I did it.

Download 'Moonshell for AK 2' from http://www.acekard.com/download.php (You need this for the 'softreset' function)
Download 'MoonShell 2.00 Beta 5 English "GBAtemps official translation"' from http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4765
Download 'Acekard+' DLDI file AND 'Win32GUI' from http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/

Unzip all files into their default folders somewhere temporary on your PC

> From 'Moonshell 2.00 Beta' folder copy the 'moonshl2' folder to the Root directory of the AK2
> Using 'Win32 GUI' & the 'Acekard+' DLDI - Patch the 'Moonshell 2.00 Beta 5.nds' in the 'Moonshell 2.00 Beta' folder on your PC
> Rename 'Moonshell 2.00 Beta 5.nds' to 'moonshl2.ak4' - Copy this to the '_ak2/plugin' folder on the AK
> Open up 'plugin.ini' file in the AK2 '_ak2' folder using Notepad
> Add ',.dpg' (note: it's 'comma','full stop','dpg') to the end of the 'Files=' line under '[system]'
> Add 'dpg=moonshl2.ak4' to the '[Association]' section

You should have something like (added items in bold):-

[system]
Files=.txt,.mp3,.ogg,.lac,.dsm,.dsv,.dpg

[Association]
txt=textview.ak4
mp3=lmp-ng.ak4
ogg=lmp-ng.ak4
lac=lmp-ng.ak4
dsv=DSVideo.ak4
dsm=dsmplay.ak4
dpg=moonshl2.ak4

[Note: if you want Moonshell to open for other media files - e.g. bmp/jpg etc - add those as well]

> Save the 'plugin.ini' file

Now, in the 'moonshell/moonshl/plugin' folder [On PC] that came from the download from Acekard site (the 'Moonshell for AK2' download)
> Copy the 'reset.mse' file to 'moonshl2/resetmse/' folder on the AK2 Flash card
> Rename this file from 'reset.mse' to 'RPGS.nds'

Now you'll be able to autostart Moonshell when you select a dpg file - you just need to reselect the file to play it though

Hope this helps

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
argv() is the term for, essentially, the memory/memory location assigned by the launching program to hand a path, file name and any other relevant info (arguments, variable) over to the next program - moonshell has no code to access this type of information and it claims all memory at the time of it's launch disregarding anything that would have been there to begin with. (aka: it is not possible to start moonshell with a file name/path and have it open it, unless moonlight decides to add that I doubt it will happen.) It comes down to moonlight because the toolchain required to compile moonshell in it's current form is not free or open source, and in fact costs some thousands of $$ to use.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Touché.