'Monument Valley' will be getting a movie adaptation

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Aug 22, 2018.

Front-page
    monument valley.PNG

If you thought Detective Pikachu and Sonic the Hedgehog were the last of video game movie adaptation, think again. Paramount Pictures and Akiva Goldman’s Weed Road Pictures are going to adapt Monument Valley into a movie, according to an exclusive Deadline report.

If you own a smartphone, you might have heard of or even tried this critically acclaimed puzzle game with soothing soundtracks from Ustwo Games. The title launched back in 2014 and now boasts over 160 million downloads worldwide and won awards like the Apple Design Award 2014, Apple iPad Game of the Year, and two BAFTAs for Best British Game and Best Mobile & Handheld Game.

“It’s been four years since we launched the first Monument Valley and have been waiting for the perfect opportunity to take our world of beauty and impossibility into cinema. We’re incredibly happy that we’ve found the perfect creative partners in Paramount, Weed Road and Patrick Osborne to champion this concept forward into another medium,” said Dan Gray, Head of Ustwo Games.

The director, Patrick Osborne, who won the Best Animated Short Film Oscar for Feast, had the following to say “Monument Valley is a one of a kind experience, at once small in its meditative, simple gameplay, as well as enormous in its sense of history. I’m privileged to be handed the reins to Ida’s mysterious kingdom, to play in her world of impossible architecture where seeing things differently is everything. I am thrilled to bring this unique world to theaters with the talented storytellers of Paramount and Weed Road.”

The movie adaptation is reportedly going to be a live action/CG hybrid one, sending "contemporary live-action characters into the game’s extraordinary, mind-bending world". How do you think a Monument Valley movie will turn out?

:arrow: SOURCE

damiano2712 and hippy dave like this.
    Discussion (18 replies)
  1. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Guru

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Eh? How though?

Great game, but movie... I don’t see it.

*Convince me otherwise*

2. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    talk about a left-field announcement.

3. SIX10

SIX10 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2017
    United States
    Calling for it won't happen. Heard so many video game movies in the past few years that never came to fruition and are vaporware.

4. AbyssalMonkey

AbyssalMonkey GBAtemp Regular

Jun 5, 2013
    United States
    Prox

5. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    Seems making films today is very inexpensive if it's worth it to make this film. I highly doub that it's a prestige project for the sake of art or because it's the passion of an important decision maker at a studio. Maybe just give that money to people with a creative and unique script you don't expect to become a popular film or something. What a waste of money and time from everyone involved... At this point it even isn't funny anymore, just sad.

Last edited by VitaType, Aug 22, 2018
  6. Lycanroc

Lycanroc Woof

May 11, 2014
    Germany
    ...Inception?

7. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda

GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Back with kitty Zelda forever :D
    WE WANT A STARCRAFT MOVIE FFS

8. DeadlyFoez

DeadlyFoez GBAtemp Guru

GBAtemp Patron
    DeadlyFoez is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 12, 2009
    United States
    I did buy both of the games, but I didn't really find it as so much of a game. It was more like the only interaction you were doing was equivalent to flipping the pages of a book. There was a story there, but not much of a game at all. Maybe someone would consider it as "puzzles" but I didn't feel that they were puzzles at all. Just hand holding a character through a story.

Not sure if I am conveying my feelings exactly as I intend.

KiiWii likes this.
  9. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend Zzzz

pip Member
    GBAtemp Patron
    HaloEliteLegend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    I loved Monument Valley but how the hell is a movie gonna work? A mobile puzzle game doesn't exactly pop into your mind as the best suited thing for a movie adaptation.

THEELEMENTKH and KiiWii like this.
  10. DeadlyFoez

DeadlyFoez GBAtemp Guru

GBAtemp Patron
    DeadlyFoez is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 12, 2009
    United States
    It's the story line. They can adapt the story line easily. Hell, if these hollywood idiots can rape people and make an Emoji Movie then anything is possible

11. WiiHomebrew+Snes

WiiHomebrew+Snes GBAtemp Regular

May 4, 2016
    United States
    I want to see this done right, but I just about 100% know it's not gonna happen (if it's ever finished at all)

12. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend Zzzz

pip Member
    GBAtemp Patron
    HaloEliteLegend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Well, that gets me wondering. There's at ton of video game movie adaptations in the works right now, could one of these finally prove that video game movies can be good?

13. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Addict

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    Nintendo works for my dad
    The Emoji Movie.

nuff said.

Apparently, it's no longer necessary to have a proper concept to adapt something into a movie.

supergamer368 and KiiWii like this.
  14. Trash_Bandatcoot

Trash_Bandatcoot Your average GBAtemp fanboy

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    I really...
    do not understand this...

Ever since SEGA jumped on thr movie-wagon announcing a Sonic movie, everyone's doing it.

SEGA: A Sonic the Hedgehog film
    Nintendo: A few months later, announced a Mario film

-and now this.
    This video game war will never end, will it?

15. supergamer368

supergamer368 yeeeeeoooowwwww

May 22, 2016
    United States
    Does anybody read locations?
    Why even try making a video game movie anymore? NONE of them have EVER done well. And I think there was supposed to be a Minecraft movie next year too, right? Honestly, do you even need a valid idea to make a movie anymore?

16. epickid37

epickid37 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    Mt. Celeste
    Wut

17. 98otiss

98otiss Phantom Thief

Aug 22, 2015
    Canada
    Metaverse
    that game was nice
    but whats worse the emoji movie or this?

18. hiroakihsu

hiroakihsu SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD

Aug 10, 2003
    United States
    On the edge of my seat
    I've heard of this game before, but never really got the chance to play it...After reading this, I think I'll go ahead and try the game out to see what it's about.

P.S. So whatever happened to that Monopoly board game movie they were talking about making? :rofl2: Or I guess maybe it isn't happening anymore? :toot:

Last edited by hiroakihsu, Aug 24, 2018