Months of data lost...

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a backstory. It all began when I bought a GC and put a modchip into it. Now, the problem was that it required a certain disc with a certain dye to make the games run properly so I bought a bunch of DVD-R with G04 dye. Then I realised I had more than I needed so I ended up using some to burn data to.

Fast forward to today. and I pull up some DVD discs because I needed to get a data off one.

Wouldn't read.

No problem. I thought. I could just redownload it again later.

Tried again with another disc. Also no read. And another and another.

Then something hit me. All the data were burned onto a blank DVD with G04 are the ones that wouldn't read which means I am now left with FIFTY discs that do the same things on me. Is there such a thing as a program that can pull data from discs that doesn't run or am I living in a day dream?

BigX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
you could try to load the disc in a different drive.
With IsoBuster you can check the media sector wise and also the file system.
Have you used some kind of verify during your burnings? I allways recommend to check a burnd media at least once directly after burning!

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
DVD data recovery

ISO buster

CD Roller.

There are thousands of programs that recover data from a bad DVD, but they all depend on the nature of the error. Most types of DVD deterioration poke unreadable holes in the DVD and eat away at the edges, but leave most of the data readable. You should be able to recover most of your data this way.

Man, crappy DVDs piss me off. It's supposed to be "permanent storage", but they fall apart in a year
dry.gif

I'm switching to tapes.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
you could try to load the disc in a different drive.
I'll second that, if only one or two wouldn't read you could put it down to corruption or deterioration, but the chance of a whole pack failing at the same time sounds a bit crazy to me. More specifically, are you using the same drive to read them that you used to write to them? (I ask because I know your hardware turnover rate is pretty high so it wouldn't surprise me if the drive had gotten upgraded along the way
wink.gif
)

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you could try to load the disc in a different drive.I'll second that, if only one or two wouldn't read you could put it down to corruption or deterioration, but the chance of a whole pack failing at the same time sounds a bit crazy to me. More specifically, are you using the same drive to read them that you used to write to them? (I ask because I know your hardware turnover rate is pretty high so it wouldn't surprise me if the drive had gotten upgraded along the way
wink.gif
)
I did that. I dug out my old DVD-rewriter that came from my old PC that I burned everything on. Hooked it up to a IDE to USB. STILL the same problem. Very frustrating because I realised that I never chose "verify" when I was burning the disc

HelloKitty

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm.. I don't understand you could burn the data to the DVD and it didn't give any errors while burning? But now, I don't get why that same drive can't read the discs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.