Monster Hunter: World ships 5 million units on launch weekend

MonsterHunterWorld-5-1.jpg

Capcom's Monster Hunter is turning into a monster hit, as the latest title in the series, Monster Hunter: World has reportedly shipped over 5 million units over its launch weekend. While number shipped only means digital copies sold + physical copies sent to retailers, this is the most successful debut for the Monster Hunter franchise, and brings series lifetime sales up to 45 million units. While there are no exact sales numbers, World is topping the UK sales charts as well, and we'll be sure to see how well the game is doing in Japan when @T-hug does the weekly Media Create sales chart thread.

You can also read GBAtemp's official review of the game, linked below, where reviewer @MajinCubyan explains what makes the game so good, and gives it one of the highest scores GBAtemp has given to a game!

:arrow: GBAtemp Official Review
:arrow: Source

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Hot damn, I expected it to shift but this seems incredible. I always forget how huge a game Monster Hunter is.
Seems Capcom has this mindset as well. Still no western release of XX on the Switch. :|

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seems Capcom has this mindset as well. Still no western release of XX on the Switch. :|
With sales like these, you have to wonder whether they'd sideline Nintendo consoles for a while to ride this wave of popularity on the more powerful systems. I'm no analyst though. I want MHXX Switch to come west just as much as you friendo; until then, we settle for our JP imports and 3DS fan translations.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
With sales like these, you have to wonder whether they'd sideline Nintendo consoles for a while to ride this wave of popularity on the more powerful systems. I'm no analyst though. I want MHXX Switch to come west just as much as you friendo; until then, we settle for our JP imports and 3DS fan translations.
As it stands? Yeah, they're probably going to. I feel they had adequate time to rake in quite a bit of extra money on XX outside of Japan... Now? They might not. Still, a pretty shoddy way to alienate a pretty decent chunk of their player base.. It IS Capcom, so their move isn't surprising.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i thinks this game is just little bit overrated... and pumped by hype, now let's check it again on how many of shipped copied went sold.

i'm getting pc release too!

Last edited by leon315,

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Switch release will not be a question if but more when... That is what I think.
I doubt the Switch could handle it in its current form, and the optimisations required to make it possible would likely yield less than significant results when compared to the effort MHXX would take. I honestly feel of the two, MHXX coming west is more likely. And even that feels like a long shot for the near future.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought it and have been bitten by the progression bug. I have never really played a MH game before just dabbled and played around. But I felt like the migration of the series to PS4 and PC was a good idea. Broadening the game mechanics for a wider audience can only be a good think when you have a game so niche as MH has become. I bought a copy and have a slew of friends who I play with.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As mentioned before (so many times) I have found all the monster hunter games before now boring as sin, a thing made worse by being games I should absolutely adore and my really truly giving them a go from multiple angles. While I have still not played this there are a few in the same boat saying they might have sorted that this time. To that end I wonder if instead this is an example of "make good things and they will sell".

If that is the case I suppose we also await the backlash from the purists.

Reactions: lampdemon
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
I'll be honest, as a guy who has wholly shrugged off the series and has never once considered playing it, Monster Hunter Worlds looks very appealing. If they were trying to go for mass-market, western appeal, they've been wholly successful. If I can convince some friends to buy the game, I'll totally pick it up when it launches on PC later this year.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1