Gaming Monster Hunter Where to Start?

aleXXXps

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've never played a Monster Hunter game, and was looking for a great game to start with. I was in a debate between Monster Hunter Freedom 2 and Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.

Also, I've heard these games are overly difficult and silly to play alone. Being an adult, I don't know many people who own PSP's and play video games. Is there a way for me to connect online and play with others? Do people even play these still?

Also, I do own a 3DS system. I've been on a PSP kick lately, but I can look into purchasing Monster Hunter 3 on 3DS if it means I can play online and not by myself. Please let me know! Thanks!

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
MH3 on the 3ds dose not have true online play
you must use the wiiU and relay tool to for online play

it the SAME for the PSP games
but you use the PS3 and ad-hoc party for online play

just mhfu can be a good stat on the PSP

but it may just be best to get MH3U for the 3ds

aleXXXps

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't own a PS3 nor a Wii U, so looks like I won't be playing online. I'd prefer not spending $40 for MH3U, and especially now since you said I can't play it online with just the 3DS and wifi. Looks like MHFU might be my best bet then....

Adil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You should start with Unite, because it has more tutorials on how to play the game on each weapon. Its not silly to play alone, I play alone Unite, because I don't have anyone to play with nowadays......however to play online you need a ps3 with adhoc party, or a pc with xlink kai. I used to play on both when the game came out.

Omegadark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would recommend you start with Monster Hunter Portable 3rd. It's a lot more new user friendly , however you need to get the english patch from Team Maverick One to play it in english.

JuliusEra

majestix1988
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
the game doesnt have story issue like God Eater Series(your hunter just getting famous killing monsters thats all) + all dialogue on npc(are mostly tips and other things) so dont worry about it~

Omegadark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm like done with the first part of the game after you kill the Jinouga and pretty much all dialogue, even the random tips are completely translated. After that i'm not really sure but they are still rolling out new patch versions every now and then.

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I suggestion monster hunter portable 3rd and freedom unite the two are have different enough monsters to pick them both up. Monster hunter portable 3rd though is however a streamlined easier monster hunter than all the rest out there. It is a great place to start if you can hop over the language barrier. Literally the best one for beginners in the series, later down the line since you own a 3DS I would suggest picking up 3U because it is portable 3rd without the kiddy gloves and tons more content (Different starting village though).

As for connecting with others, alone PSPs cannot connect online but can connect with others. Through the power of a PS3 you may play online, it is very easy to do. To connect your PSP to the internet from your PS3 you must hard wire your PS3 to the net from your modem, download a program called ad-hoc party, and go at it :) find yourself a group, set things up and your set. As for people playing them or not, I still play portable 3rd and I'm part of a community on facebook that does as well. Just go looking you'll find some people.

An finally for generally getting started in portable 3rd http://youcanplaythis.com/ycpt-monster-hunter-portable-3rd-how-to-play/ is a great guide to it for the untranslated bits :) and this http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLO7ChEvlE6fd-IXgergMpFIpudooNepeP is a fantastic guide for those new to monster hunter as a whole.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM