JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Probably, but all it does is sour me to the Wii U, not encourage me to purchase it lol.
Why should they continue spending money on a now replaced game that offers no profit? Unless you wanted to lose money, you would have done the same thing. Every online game has their servers shut down eventually.

Videomanman87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I realize it may be the most finicially sound choice in the possible short term. But there is the aspect of PR with your customers. Spending money on PR/keeping your customers happy can worth far more in long term. From what I hear there isn't a huge difference in the game from Wii to Wii U (if I am wrong ok, I haven't seen either so I can't say with any form of certainy). What a company should do is give a choice, to upgrade, and not because they pulled the plug on the old one FORCING one to update/upgrade. Give your customers a choice, show them all the great reasons to upgrade...but still give them that choice. If you don't it sours them on future purchases.

@potato3334
Nope I won't be. There has to be some extreme great reason why I would even think of buying a Wii U, and there is nothing there. I don't like the gamepad, I don't like Nintendo's restrictions (like not even being able to backup your OWN save data..which is why I hacked my Wii in the first place..just for that). I also love USB loading, and I don't pirate. The only installed games (and I never did backup disks) I bought brand new (usually on sale, I admit, not when it first came out) or on ebay. For me, to want a Wii U, Nintendo would have to make some drastic changes and offer a lot more features than they are willing to. Not to mention the software/games would have to be an advantage. Personally I can do all I want to on the Wii. The only thing I am missing now is online features that are shutting down, which again, sours me against buying a capcom game in the future (regardless of platform). Nintendo as well, actually, since they are killing features when the Wii U is not even a year old? That is sad, and what a way to roast your customers. But apparently they did the same thing for the Gamecube when the Wii came out, so at least they are following a pattern..but you would think they would learn. But then again why learn if they can get everyone to buy the new by killing the old as soon as possible. The only thing that will change them something that causes their wallet to dry up (even that is debatable though). But I doubt that will happen as most people want the latest and greatest no matter what the company does. *shrugs* Ah well to each their own. Personally I am likely going to skip this game (still might pick it up used someday if it is cheap enough), and enjoy my Wii. I have plenty on hand to keep me busy for a long time. :)

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I realize it may be the most finicially sound choice in the possible short term. But there is the aspect of PR with your customers. Spending money on PR/keeping your customers happy can worth far more in long term. From what I hear there isn't a huge difference in the game from Wii to Wii U (if I am wrong ok, I haven't seen either so I can't say with any form of certainy). What a company should do is give a choice, to upgrade, and not because they pulled the plug on the old one FORCING one to update/upgrade. Give your customers a choice, show them all the great reasons to upgrade...but still give them that choice. If you don't it sours them on future purchases.
There are plenty of reasons to upgrade, and they've been funding the servers for years now, even though they weren't making any money on it. It's an old game on a dead console. People should be happy that Capcom was nice enough to keep them up until the very end.

As for there not being a huge difference, I'll quote a post I made on HacksDen:
That's extremely inaccurate. It is based on Monster Hunter Tri (which was for the Wii), but it has maybe thirty new monsters, dozens of new features, hundreds of new weapons, a few new areas, cross-system save transfer and multiplayer (Wii U and 3DS), and a handful of new characters.

In terms of graphics, it's rather mixed. While it's got native 1080p and many of the new monsters/areas are very well done, almost all of the old stuff is just hi-res textures. You can still see the blocky outlines on the old stuff. It's not a huge deal (the massive amount of content is definitely worth it), but it would have been cool if they had redesigned it.

Reactions: CheatFreak47

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every online game has their servers shut down eventually.

That's one reason I can't get into online games. I don't want to spend dozens to hundreds of hours of my life on something that's just going to vanish into the ether.

Videomanman87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's one reason I can't get into online games. I don't want to spend dozens to hundreds of hours of my life on something that's just going to vanish into the ether.

Very true if I do get a game with a online component, I usually make sure i can live without that aspect. Or I don't buy it. The game in question I heard the online aspect was about the best there is...well was for the Wii. Hence peeked my interest. But will never know now. Unless some sort of 3rd party servers popup, but I doubt that will happen.

@Joost
Well we can agree to disagree. I agree that "they've been funding the servers for years now, even though they weren't making any money on it", perhaps not a monthly fee as in a subscription service, but they made money off off the game in the first place. Perhaps not extra monthly income but they did make money off of it. I know they can't run it forever without charging a monthly fee or such, but they could have kept it going for a while yet. Some people might even be interested in contributing for them to keep it going, just one server perhaps (kickstarter anyone?). But instead of looking into options, they just shut it down.

Ah well as said it was their decision, and while I don't agree with it, I can see their reasons. But there were other ways of handling it is my point.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How many of you have signed the petition requesting that the servers not be shut down? Please do so; I hate it when companies toss around and think they can get away with it. http://gbatemp.net/threads/monster-hunter-tri-server-petition.341558/ @potato3334 I will most likely not move to the U; there is barely anything that appeals to me about it. I can get everything I want on my Wii.

Videomanman87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did, although I doubt it will do any good. I see that it is up to 2500 signatures, but I doubt that is enough to make any sort of difference (if capcom was even listening). Ironically I did just pick up a copy of this from Ebay. No online of course, but oh well.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm not sure what people are expecting - the Wii is a 7 year old system that already has a successor, of course it's going to be gradually phased out and there's nothing that can be done about that. People have to get comfortable with the thought that it's time to jump ship and get a WiiU since the Wii will get discontinued as soon as it stops selling.

Companies don't have the time or the money to run servers for games that no longer bring them any profits - nobody's buying Monster Hunter Tri anymore, they're shifting their focus to Ultimate and it's the natural order of things.

It's not about them "getting away" with anything, it's about them just doing their job. Running a server is a continuous expense and if it brings no profits at the end of the day, the server will be shut down and that's that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"