Monster Hunter Tri. Banned for running Backup?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by BlackDave, Apr 27, 2010.

Apr 27, 2010
  1. BlackDave
    OP

Member BlackDave Official GBATemp "Cleanup Guy"

United States
    Hey all.

As you know some people that got the iso for Monster Hunter Tri had difficulty starting the game (in my case when I press "begin the game" it would freeze and have a loud NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNHHHHHHHH sound)

I fixed that installing Darkcorpse. I can now run my backup discs directly from the Disc Channel [​IMG]

I can play the game fine, In fact I am HR2 (I think?) and everything runs smooth (except the cut scenes but what do you expect at x3 reading).

Now I was playing online with two friends and something weird happened. We were fighting a Boss Monster and as I was walking through a map (15mins after the quest started), My game froze and gave the loud NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNHHHHH noise.

I thought I just froze but my friend texted me that I got banned.

What? [​IMG]

But he sent me an e-mail with this attachment:

[​IMG]
    Edit: this showed right after I got disconnected

What do you think is wrong? I mean I can still connect and join a city but after a while it freezes again and does the same thing.
    Google could not locate anything related.

2. Blasingame

Newcomer Blasingame Advanced Member

United States
    Personally, I don't play monster hunter tri. However, this type of banning is software related. You can still connect to their servers normally correct and haven't been met with a banned screen? So they haven't banned your IP, MAC Address or hardware. This could be a software related ban that the server checks to see if you are using a specific copy that was copied across the internet and flags it as a ban. More in depth code inspection would be required here. But seeing as you said you can still connect It's not IP or MAC Address. I bet somewhere in your NAND it shows what the server was checking for like the Nintendo Pre-Repair Discs mentioned on the hackmii site.

Most likely Capcom's servers find players who use the same copy to connect to their servers and send back some code that does that.

/mytheory

Edit:

After reading a couple toics down about being banned for cheating, were you using cheats?

3. BlackDave
    OP

Member BlackDave Official GBATemp "Cleanup Guy"

United States
    That would sound right. But I have no knowledge in that domain

Edit: But if we follow that and you have monster hunter tri retail disc you bought and let a friend borrow it, that would mean this friend would get banned?

4. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    modified data = modified save, modified RAM (cheats), etc

I don't think it's possible to "detect" you are using a backup unless they used a new unknown & hidden protection

5. gamefreak94

Member gamefreak94 GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster

United States
    Oh, lol thats just an announcement they make like every hour or so. Don't worry about it. But I got banned :'C.

6. Aeladya

Member Aeladya *mistressOFtheCLOW

United States
    I've heard that the Wii doesn't like back-up copies of this game. I'm sure that's probably the case. I have a modified Wii, but I bought my copy (I don't pirate Wii games...takes too long).

7. Riicky

Member Riicky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    seems 2 me like someone was using cheats

8. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    You're not familiar with PC games, are you?

Back there, you basically pay for your license key. That key is your way of identifying yourself on the servers, and it's very common practice that duplicate keys (in other words: having the game installed with the same key) are banned from the servers.
    It's actually a bit more complex than that (including hashes, antipiracy control and some other things), but that's what it comes down to. So no...letting your friend borrow your retail game won't result in him getting banned...it would result in the both of you getting banned. And anyone else using that same key (that's also why illegal copies can hardly ever play online...they don't have unique license keys).
    Very similar: if you're caught cheating online, they'll put the license key on a black list and ban it from online gaming.

Now...I don't know how monster hunter trii's protection works, but considering it has no license key to enter when you first run it (okay: I assume you don't have to that) and a pre-installed key is virtually impossible to produce in large numbers, it seems rather unlikely.

That leads to 2 possible explanations:
    1. your unique identification (ng identification, MAC address or IP address) is on their black list. Very possible, but I can't figure out why it would allow you to connect for a couple minutes. It shouldn't take that long to compare your network ID to their black list...
    2. it's something on your NAND. This would make it conform to the message you get. And dark corp is most certainly "modified data" (heck...that thing modifies just about all IOS'es it can get). And considering that the cIOS'es aren't that much different from the retail IOS'es, it would also explain why you're not thrown from the servers right away.
    I'm curious, though. If their servers can find out darkcorp's modifications, it would mean that everyone who uses darkcorp (no matter whether the CD itself is legal or not) would get the boot from the servers.

...unless you've got other things that could influence things, of course. (riivolution, ocarina...I'm not too familiar with things involving modifying games).

@all: how's about that? Is anyone here able to stay online with dark corp installed?

9. damysteryman

Member damysteryman I am too busy IRL these days...

Antarctica
    Hmmm... this topic is interesting...

I'll try it out when I go buy my copy, which should (hopefully) be in a few days.

But if this "DARKCORP detection" is true... I hope it the same protection as what Rugby League 3 uses (checks if the signature of the IOS it wants is fakesigned or not)... as we already have a fix for that protection.

So... it could be searching for fake sigs, in which case we have a fix...
    Or... it could be new protection...

I'm just hoping it doesn't affect my retail copy when I get it...
    @anybody (brave enough to risk sacrificing their online ability) testing this:
    Does it affect retail copies running under DARKCORP?

10. ChokeD

Member ChokeD The Contributor

United States

11. damysteryman

Member damysteryman I am too busy IRL these days...

Antarctica
    That's how I see that isue too.
    All copies of the same game, whether in stores, or in rental video stores, or in your own wii, are all exactly the same in the first place. No licence key or anything like what pc agems have.

And I certainly hope that it either has that same protection, or none at all. (In which case, there's something else is causing this)

12. SanGor

Member SanGor Witchhunter

United States
    detecting modifications is very easy, and any PPC app is able to read any TMD.

So they could check for modificated TMDs like the HBC's or check if any other fake signed TMD, stuff like that.
    It is VERY easy to do it surprises me that only one game so far does that, (some game checks the TMD it's running on if it's fake signed)

13. atomikramp

Member atomikramp GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    i played mh3 online only for a couple of minutes, using sneek +di and i didn't have any disconnection issue.

but my emulated nand was clean (no hacks installed), so maybe the games doesn't detect anything wrong.

oh, and btw (OT), can i use a keyboard with mh3?
    chatting in game is a pain in the arse without a keyboard.

14. acturus

Newcomer acturus Advanced Member

United States
    just thought i'd throw my two cents in. i've been playing online for about a half hour without issue. i'm going to leave it connected for a while and check on it in about an hour to see if it's still connected.

just checked it, still connected after an hour.

15. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Yup, you can use a USB Keyboard.

BTW, I played it online for a while with a Wiikey (I also have HBC installed), and had no issues.

Maybe it's something related to softmods?

16. Klarkykat

Member Klarkykat GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    This seems like some other problem. Like someone else said those capcom warnings come up every now and then.

17. Comedor

Member Comedor GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    Yeah, I can confirm this.

18. qdog82

Member qdog82 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Guys dont worry so much, that capcom message is just an announcement, they sending that one out every hour, and everybody is getting that. And last night they had some server problems, lots of people got radomly disconnected.

19. imapterodactyl

Member imapterodactyl GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This is correct. It seems everyone who's gotten banned has been using modifications in one way or another. I've never heard of a case of banning for running a backup, and I've been playing one ever since release day (I bought the thing the next day guys, sheesh) and put in way too many hours to not be ashamed of it. Also, when you get banned you normally don't get the screen freeze and buzzing, so that part may be a backup disc issue. Have you tried from USB? But by the look of the message Capcom sent, it's the standard cheater ban.

20. imapterodactyl

Member imapterodactyl GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It's been bad the past couple of days. I've only disconnected once, but I'm having a helluva time getting into some cities (with the 11688 and 89 error... timeout according to Nintendo's database). It was fine for the first few days, but it's gone downhill. Hopefully Tuesday server maintenance will help. Problem's not on my end. I even have the Wii on a static IP and DMZ'd, and the router on channel 11, so I'm wide open.