'Monster Hunter Rise' PC Version Impressions

GBAtemp_review_banner_monster hunter rise impressions.png

About a week ago, the Nintendo Switch’s timed-exclusive title Monster Hunter Rise made its way to PCs. With a score of 88 on both OpenCritic and Metacritic, I was quite intrigued to see what it delivered and, having missed it on Nintendo’s handheld, the PC release was a great opportunity to get my monster hunting gear on and see what all it is all about.

Shortly after booting the game and creating my character, I was transported to Kamura, a lovely village packing traditional Japanese aesthetics with the accompanying soundtrack. There I learnt of the looming Rampage, a phenomenon where monsters are becoming agitated and aggressive, threatening the safety of Kamura. As a newly-minted hunter, I was tasked to investigate this occurrence while defending the village from monster incursions. From there I could take on quests and finally hunt them monsters.

intro 1.jpg

intro 2.jpg intro 3.jpg

Monster Hunter Rise isn’t very meaty on its plot as I learnt quite early on and this isn’t far from the tradition of the Monster Hunter series. As such, you shouldn’t go in expecting a highly narrative-driven title as it focuses on the gameplay. As a newcomer to the series myself, I was positively surprised to find Monster Hunter Rise’s gameplay to be rather approachable. This might be due to the addition of new mechanics like riding your canine Palamute companion to explore your location, chase monsters and assist you in combat, and the Wirebug to grapple-hook in battle or exploration. Quests also don’t drag on for too long, lasting around 15-20 min, which adds to the approachable aspect. Tackling battles against monsters is also intriguing as they each behave differently and require different approaches in order to overcome them. This keeps things fresh as you tackle monster after monster in subsequent quests to craft better gear so as to take on even more challenging quests. Even if grinding is at the core of Monster Hunter Rise, the monster-hunting mechanic and pacing makes the whole experience fun to tackle quests, explore new areas, discover new monsters and, of course, hunt them.

fight 1.jpg

fight 2.jpg envi 2.jpg envi 1.jpg

This likely held true for the Switch version which received quite high scores but the PC version ups the ante as it brings along expected PC upgrades (unlike a certain Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade). You’ll have full control over graphical settings from anti-aliasing to motion blur, as well as have better resolution and frame-rate options. Even on a device like the AYA NEO Pro 2021, the game runs at a steady 60fps and looks gorgeous. But it still occasionally strikes as an up-res version of a game meant for an inferior hardware (the Switch) with environments lacking in feature or not being very expansive and cut-scenes capped at 30fps.

settings 1.jpg

settings 1.jpg settings 2.jpg

But while the Switch might have felt lacking in terms of content at launch, the PC version does not, given that it brings along all post-launch content up to the Nintendo Switch 3.6.1. This includes new monsters and collaboration content, with more planned in the coming month.

However, it can be disappointing for some to find that there is no cross-platform save transfer available. If you’ve dedicated a considerable amount of time to the Switch version and want to experience the upgraded PC port, you’ll have to start from the beginning. Hopefully such a feature is implemented in a future update but for the time being, you’ll have to bear this in mind. So you might not want to get the PC port just yet if you own the Switch version, unless you want the overall better package of the PC version (and mods!) and don't mind starting the grind again.

But if you own a PC and have been on the fence when it comes to the Monster Hunter series, Rise feels like a great way to ease you in. It might not be as enticing on the plot but the gameplay is where it’s at. Hunting monsters with your furry companions and varying techniques feels fun and fresh on each quest, and will get you to enjoy grinding for once.

For more in-depth insights about Monster Hunter Rise, check out our full review of the game on the Switch!

:arrow: Monster Hunter Rise (Nintendo Switch) Official GBAtemp Review

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am honestly upset that I can't play crossplay with my PC friends and I can't move my save file from my Switch to my PC. I don't want to buy this game again just to enjoy with a few PC friends and I don't want to start over again to do that either.

Reactions: Kioku

Varia

Trophies
XP
Country
Looks good. A shame the game turned out to be more lacking (content wise) than I had anticipated. Online was a mess too, you can't understand what's going on with the exaggerated effects and having your pets join the battle with 3+ players.
I do hope the expansion brings some better post-game content, but I can't see this being better than 4U or GU.

Last edited by Varia,

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looks good. A shame the game turned out to be more lacking (content wise) than I had anticipated. Online was a mess too, you can't understand what's going on with the exaggerated effects and having your pets join the battle with 3+ players.
I do hope the expansion brings some better post-game content, but I can't see this being better than 4U or GU.
PC version brings a lot of possibilities via mods at least. There's already one to disable other people's pets online for example.

The content is also mostly there now thanks to it having the post launch stuff from the switch version. It's difficult comparing it to something like Gen or Gen U because frankly we were spoiled by the scope of those games. They were a celebration of the series and boy were they a good one lol.

To me it has enough to be a really compelling game now, and the gameplay makes it one of, if not the best, Monster Hunter games in terms of just being bloody fun.

Reactions: Xzi

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
I am truly impressed no one brought Monster Hunter World to the table yet. And I will keep it that way. Its really hard for me to ignore it truly feels like a unlimited frame cap version of the switch title, but if Capcom needs my support to do a better Monster Hunter World 2, they already have my money both from the Switch Rise Limited Edition and also the game on PC.

Reactions: Scarlet

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am truly impressed no one brought Monster Hunter World to the table yet. And I will keep it that way. Its really hard for me to ignore it truly feels like a unlimited frame cap version of the switch title, but if Capcom needs my support to do a better Monster Hunter World 2, they already have my money both from the Switch Rise Limited Edition and also the game on PC.
Oh I feel that. For the Switch version I got the game from Capcom as a review copy... But I also bought the limited edition and the limited edition Switch... So I have three Switch copies, as well as the PC version. It's such a fun game that I don't even mind. I do feel Rise is a natural evolution of World, but I also get that the PC version doesn't feel like it has World's scope.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm enjoying Rise a bit more than World personally, but to be fair I never really got around to Iceborne content. Just being able to run Rise at a locked 144 FPS and with almost nonexistent load times is really, really nice. Then of course there's the new mechanics too. I hope World 2 can somehow maybe split the difference.

Last edited by Xzi,

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
I hope World 2 can somehow maybe split the difference.
World 2 will surely push the balance to benefit Rise as in no way are we going back to the old engine (World used it). I wouldn't count on preserving your palamutes tho.

Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps3 really has no titles worth going online
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    what is nps?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I feel like the world's cheapest pc build can play gtaV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In modern standards
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for...