Monster Hunter 3 Asking me to update. Is it safe?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by SantiagoRV, Jun 29, 2014.

1. SantiagoRV
    OP

SantiagoRV Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2014
    Venezuela
    Hello everyone, thanks for your time.

I got a 3DS wich I've never updated, I use a R4 (SDHC Dual-Core 2013) on it, I think it's updated to 5.0 (it had an "update firmware" archive, I "clicked" it and it told me it was updating it to 5.0 or something like that). I play with the R4 and ocassionally some original games (Kid Icarus and Super Mario 3D mostly).

Today I got Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, got home, put it in, and it's telling me it needs to update to version 4.4.0-4U in order to play so...

Is there any way I can play without updating?

If I let it update, will my R4 still work? Will the 3DS go and update all the way to the latest version?

If I update and my R4 doesn't work, is there any way I can bring my 3DS back to an older version?

Thank you, I know almost nothing about how the R4 works and I need some help with this.

2. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    Nope

If your R4 is a 2013 edition, it should work, the 4.3 update was released in 2012. If you want to be sure, you can always update your flashcard before your console but I don't know if it can still be found for the 2013 version.

No, unless you set up an Internet connection, if you do it will download the update in the background then keep asking you to update until you do or format the console.

Nope, it's impossible to downgrade without a nand dump, which requires hardware mod.

SantiagoRV likes this.
  3. SantiagoRV
    OP

SantiagoRV Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2014
    Venezuela
    So in order to only update to 4.4 what should I do? I need to set up an internet connection in order to do that, don't I?

Thanks a lot!

4. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    No, you need to delete any internet connection you have set up.

5. MegaAce™

MegaAce™ Steal back your future.

Nov 28, 2008
    Gambia, The

You can't just update to 4.4 through the internet. If you did that, you'd end up with the latest firmware, which would be around 7.x

6. SantiagoRV
    OP

SantiagoRV Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2014
    Venezuela
    So what I got to do is put the game in, let it ask me to update, say yes, use an internet connection, download the update and then erase that internet connection so no further update is downloaded?

In case that won't do: is there any other way I can update my console so that it won't go all the way to 7?

EDIT: I read in another post that what actually updates the console when I say "yes" to the game is the cart itself, no internet connection required, so it would update the console only to 4.0. Is this how it works? I'm really sorry for asking so many questions but I just suck at these kind of things :(

7. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    If you update with the game, you don't need Internet, the update is in the game card and your version will be 4.4.

Just start the game then accept the update to 4.4.

SantiagoRV likes this.
  8. SantiagoRV
    OP

SantiagoRV Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2014
    Venezuela
    Done, it worked just fine. I was just worried over nothing in the end.

Thank you everybody! ;)