Molyneux and Rare originally argued for buttons on Kinect

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Guild McCommunist, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    [​IMG]

Microsoft's biggest selling point when it comes to Kinect is that it's a completely controller-free system -- not a single button is necessary to interact with its games. But when Kinect was first being designed inside Microsoft, both Rare and Peter Molyneux weren't convinced such a system could work.

"We were absolutely adamant that we needed a button, something with haptic feedback, that would initiate an action," said Rare creative director George Andreas to Edge magazine (via CVG), recalling his first time seeing the Kinect technology. "It took a long time -- we threw some prototypes together and then we saw you didn't need one."

And it wasn't just Rare that wasn't convinced about buttons-free controls, as Andreas said Lionhead Studios boss Peter Molyneux didn't see the buttons-free system working either. "We were very vocal to Kudo [Tsunoda, Kinect lead] at the time, and Peter Molyneux was as well, that you needed something in your hand," Andreas recalled. But he also says this was ultimately just a case of having to "rein in" their ideas of traditional button-based interfaces, a challenge that remained even after accepting Kinect's buttons-free system could work. "You end up falling back on the [gamepad] control scheme. It's a crutch really."

The fact that the PlayStation Move does have buttons is a distinction that Sony often stresses in the presentation of their controller, insisting there are certain types of games that simply need buttons to work best. So will Microsoft's buttons-free philosophy ultimately work just as well (if not better)? Kinect launches on November 4, so it won't be much longer until we can all find out for ourselves.[/p]

[​IMG] Source

If it actually did have buttons then I would be possibly praising the system. One of the main things that sucks about the Kinect is that it lacks buttons, meaning you can't have games that the Move or Wii have. Why couldn't they just argue to death Molyneux and Rare? WHY????

Although I really couldn't care less about Rare, it's not like they have any influence on anything nowadays. Molyneux on the other hand matters.

2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    The Kinect is just not needed, even most of the fanboys don't care about it as it clearly doesn't have the sort of games that brought them to the 360.

Anyone who gets one will just end up only using it for the dashboard stuff and that's it.

3. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    Meh. Rare is dead since they finish ConkerĀ“s Bad Fur Day.

4. megawalk

Member megawalk The Legendary SRW Addict

Netherlands
    oh i think kinect technology was necessary.
    both as gaming it has a use.
    and...since were talking about camera visual control.
    with this technology you should expand and research for new technologies in the use for science to adapt civilization =3 Kinect = Must Have

5. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    It's funny when you see people making no sense at all. Kinect has hardly any usages other than playing one or two crappy games and using the dashboard. That's about it. For $150, that's far from a "necessity".

6. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    I really just want to see how people respond to the Kinect.

It probably won't be long until we'll find them piled up at your local K-Mart or something.

7. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    And the voices of reason were once again drowned by overwhelming stupidity.

8. BobTheJoeBob

Member BobTheJoeBob The most optimistic person on the temp. :)

United Kingdom
    Kinect's gonna fail, same with move. I just don't see a future with people playing with solely kinect and move.

9. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Yeah, they both argued for buttons until Microsoft payed them to put out this press release where they say that it doesn't need them.

Microsoft devoured rare's soul. [​IMG]

10. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    Rare didn't have a soul once all the talent left to go make TimeSplitters and what not.

But it's really damn obvious that this statement isn't "Well, the Kinect doesn't need buttons actually!" but more of a "We tried to get buttons but Microsoft wouldn't budge so we have to say we're agreeing that no buttons is good".

11. megawalk

Member megawalk The Legendary SRW Addict

Netherlands
    Ah.. Dashboard i don't mind. whatever [​IMG] bite me...
    anything's possible >.> even a tour around the space orbit of earth is possible [​IMG]
    anyways Rare can BITE ME (I Hated most of their games)
    Molyneux is just as random to me as is the full value of PI!
    so i'll stick it up with that [​IMG]

12. SPH73

Banned SPH73 Banned

United States
    [​IMG]

Dude, could you be any more of a fanboy? I love how you always ad your own negative spin on everything that's not made by Sony.

lmao.

Seriously though, I can understand why certain fanboys would prefer the Sony Move. Its shaped like a dildo and they can stick it up their asses.

Plus, Sony fans love rip-offs and "me-too" products. That's all the company is good for. They have never had an original idea.

But hey, Microsoft fans can't talk. Kinect is just a copy of the Sony Eye Toy, only it works, kinda.... (EyeToy was a brilliant device.)

13. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    ...I don't know whether to laugh or call you stupid.

Guild has an 360 and a Wii...How does "Unfortunately, to no avail." sound like fanboyism at all? It's bashing it if anything...

14. Lunatics

Member Lunatics GBAtemp Regular

United States
    How exactly are you supposed to shoot in FPS games without any button or trigger to press, the whole motion sensing system in general on any system is beyond retarded, especially one with absolutely no controller or buttons.

15. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States