Mojang has cancelled their ambitious "Super Duper" graphics pack for Minecraft

c1n66is.png

During E3 2017, Microsoft took to the stage to announce its yearly showcase of new games and content updates. In their lineup, was the "Super Duper Graphics Pack", for Minecraft, which would give the game a 4K graphical makeover, fit with majorly improved graphics, shaders, and lighting. At the time, it was promised for a 2018 release, for Xbox One X and PC, via the Bedrock version. But, after two years, and hardly any updates, Mojang has finally cancelled the project, citing performance issues as the cause. Considered as an "ambitious initiative", the developers found that running the game with such graphics was too demanding on certain devices. As such, the Super Duper Graphics Pack will not see a release, and Mojang will instead focus on "other ways" for fans to experience Minecraft with a new look.

:arrow: Source

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Hah, makes sense. There's a reason that the "can it run Minecraft" joke is used often, shaders can be tough even for good rigs, and this is 4K. Disappointing though, this was literally the main attraction of that E3 conference when the Xbox One X was revealed to show its capabilities.

Last edited by Jiehfeng,
Reactions: Zense and Voyambar

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hah, makes sense. There's a reason that the "can it run Minecraft" joke is used often, shaders can be tough even for good rigs, and this is 4K. Disappointing though, this was literally the main attraction of that E3 conference when the Xbox One X was revealed to show its capabilities.

Wait, so you're telling me that in the end xonex does not get minecraft in 4K? Excuse my ignorance.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Wait, so you're telling me that in the end xonex does not get minecraft in 4K? Excuse my ignorance.

Yup, at least that's what I see here. Google is not very helpful atm and everything on Minecraft 4K is the graphics pack. I assume it's still 1080p for now.

EDIT: Confirmed. No enhanced version for the Xbox One, it's the same 1080p deal. :)

Last edited by Jiehfeng,

Dubbicakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not very hard to see why Mojang didn't release this.
If you install a shaderpack on the PC version of Minecraft, you're going to need a very powerful computer to have it running at max settings at anything above 60 FPS.
Maxed out with all the bells and whistles, yeah, but what Microsoft showed for their shader pack was a bare bones lighting upgrade. My ol' 2010 Asus laptop ran those types of shaders just fine on the Java version back in the day. It was barely a lite version, if that, of any shader out today for Java Minecraft.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Maxed out with all the bells and whistles, yeah, but what Microsoft showed for their shader pack was a bare bones lighting upgrade. My ol' 2010 Asus laptop ran those types of shaders just fine on the Java version back in the day. It was barely a lite version, if that, of any shader out today for Java Minecraft.

While that's true, you also have to account for it being at 4K resolution, and the most important part; bad optimization.

D

Deleted User

Java is very inconsistent unfortunately

My laptop that has an i7 and gtx 1070 has trouble playing the game at a stable framerate before shaders

After shaders I'm pretty much just watching a slideshow

Reactions: Dubbicakes

Xabring

Trophies
Website
xabring.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
I would've loved to have seen this released. But then again, it's probably a pain to optimize this for every platform sadly.
Optimize it for looking like that on smartphones and switch? Heheh, that ain't work anytime unless switch was upgraded with tensor cores or something. And EVEN then, you gotta account EVERY FREAKING SMARTPHONE.

"a pain to optimize" would be underestimating it.

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, finally they fuckin' said it. Took forever for them to do so. I was looking forward to this, even though I only play like minecraft like 3 times a year. Haha.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Fucking retards can't even optimize a few shaders... Sad and pathetic. Yeah, I'm salty about this because I've been looking forward to an easier shader installation by official means. Thanks for fucking me Mojang, next time use lube.

Last edited by Jayro,

Humanity

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So the cringe worthy presentation on E3 was for nothing....
It may have been cringe but that white woman looked real fine.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Optimize it for looking like that on smartphones and switch? Heheh, that ain't work anytime unless switch was upgraded with tensor cores or something. And EVEN then, you gotta account EVERY FREAKING SMARTPHONE.

"a pain to optimize" would be underestimating it.
They were planning it for the Pocket version?

And Switch?

Really?

That would have been stupid.

I thought it was only for Xbox One X and maybe PS4 Pro and PC

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Java is very inconsistent unfortunately

My laptop that has an i7 and gtx 1070 has trouble playing the game at a stable framerate before shaders

After shaders I'm pretty much just watching a slideshow
uhhh, *my* laptop has an 8th gen mobile i7 + 1070 and it runs the SEUS PTGI shaders pretty decently.

D

Deleted User

Dragon quest builders engine looks great why the hell not at least give it that type of fidelity.

Humanity

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Not surprised. It's been clear for the past few years now that Minecraft either needs a sequel or a complete code rewrite to have good performance/optimization.
It is called Dragon Quest Builders.

They should not have made a sequel to that game. The bosses there are money-grabbing ass holes, though.

Like almost all bosses worldwide.

I dream that Dragon Quest Builders (the real one, the first one) will be released on PC and excellently optimised.

Last edited by Humanity,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @SylverReZ