1. XFlak

OP XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    Yes and yes

2. drewbot02

drewbot02 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Used it today, wasn't able to fix writing to my drive from the wii but I'm willing to accept my hdd just doesn't work that way. Truly a magic app, and awesome to use!

Thank you so much!

:yaywii:

alexander1970 and XFlak like this.
  3. 2urtle

2urtle Newbie
    Newcomer

I have just bought another wii from fleebay (haven't had chance to plug it in yet). But I have noticed an abundance of larger capacity sd cards for sale on the same site with lots of games etc... I have also seen on nintendo site there has been an update for the Wii with combatibilty for upto 32gb cards.
    I haven't read all of the pages on this thread, but the general rule was no bigger than 2gb and don't update. Has this changed?

It is quite possible I will be back after the weekend with issues from the new wii... my old one is still working fine I am just trying to find a way to get my aging father to move a little more for health reasons.

Last edited by 2urtle, Feb 18, 2020
    jeannotte and alexander1970 like this.
  4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Global Moderator

Poland
    The Wii is compatible with SDHC cards up to 32GB as long as you have Wii Menu 4.0 or higher installed, Nintendo does not guarantee compatibility with bigger cards, and I'm not sure if there's a homebrew workaround. Not sure why you'd need that kind of card though since USB HDD is a far superior form of storage.

2urtle, jeannotte and alexander1970 like this.
  5. XFlak

OP XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    In my experience Sdhc works for most things, but SD has better bootmii compatibility for making a nand backup

2urtle, jeannotte and alexander1970 like this.
  6. ca032769

ca032769 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    @Foxi4 is correct. As long as the Wii is on 4.0 or higher larger cards will work. If it's lower than 4.0 you'll need to find a 2GB card to do the mod, but then you'll be on 4.0+ after the mod.

I personally choose 4.3 for all of my modded Wii's and have done over 50 of them. I have also been using 256GB SDXC cards since 2015 and they work great. One of these days I'll upgrade to a 512GB or 1TB, but only after prices come down a bit more.

Here's an Amazon link to the 256GB I bought, but they seem pricey right now. There are probably others with a better cost, I bought mine on sale in 2015 for $87.99: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FF90EZM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2urtle, Foxi4 and jeannotte like this.
  7. 2urtle

2urtle Newbie
    Newcomer

Thank you all for the replies. I had not realised the larger SD compatibility.
    So I have now just plugged the Wii it all seems to work. (I had to youtube removing parental lock first.)
    Then followed the slow memory recall and feeling stupid when not seeing how to do things (where to type the MAC address for letter bomb).
    Anyway it seems to work now. There seemed to be an issue with loading wiiflow from priiloader, but it started working when I copied the wiiflow folder from my own Wii SD card.
    Thanks for the MODMii software and a community that is still willing to help.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Official, Windows, Support