Modifying Virtual Console Banner

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by BenRK, Jul 18, 2011.

Jul 18, 2011

Modifying Virtual Console Banner by BenRK at 2:01 AM (1,858 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. BenRK
    OP

Member BenRK GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'm attempting to inject my own WADs and such, and in doing so, I want to make custom banners that reflect what is actually in it. Working with virtual console games of course. I'm able to change the images in the banners, but I'm unable to figure out how to change the text inside the banner it self. I'd rather not an injected wad say Super Mario Bros 3 in the banner when it's clearly Legend of Zelda or something for example. I hope it's a simple answer.

Been using CustomizeMii for the banner editing, and I'm not looking to change the animations if I can help it.

2. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I'm not sure if there's an easier way to do this, but here's what I've done before:

Assuming the text is actually text, and not an image of text, it's probably in one of the BRLYTs. Extract the BRLYTs from the layout tab, convert them with Benzin (get it on Wiibrew) into an XMLYT, and open in your favorite text editor. Then, hit Ctrl+F and search for txt1.

You should find one or more items like the below:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    The stuff near the bottom between is the text as an ASCII representation of hex. You can copy it into a hex->ascii converter (google for one) to read what it says. If there's more than one txt1 object, check each of them until you find the string you want to change. (There may be a lot of them if the channel has multiple languages.)

Replace the text as you wish (it's UTF-16, so be sure to include the 00 between chars). Use an Ascii->Hex converter to get the hex form of your text. The strings should be null-terminated, so be sure to put a 0000 at the end.

Convert the XMLYT back to BRLYT with Benzin, and import back into the channel.

I've done this on several channels and it works fine, despite being a hassle to do.

3. person66

Member person66 If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post

Canada
  4. BenRK
    OP

United States
    techboy
    I tried what you said, but I keep getting errors with Benzin. Stuff like Magic:

5. techboy

United States
    They don't work here either. (XP Pro SP3)

6. BenRK
    OP

United States
    Ok, that was the problem. It appears to work now, and I've got a successful text edit. Huzzah!

It's not as crucial to me right now, but what about changing the save icons? I do sort of want to get those too for the sake of having everything complete.

7. techboy

United States
    Not sure about them unfortunately [​IMG] The channels I've altered text on don't produce saves...

Your graphics will be somewhere inside one of the archives in the wad. In my case, just finding them required 2 different unpackers (u8it and CCFTool), a WTE viewer, and 20 minutes...buried 3 layers deep inside an archive labeled misc.ccf. Location of your save banners varies based on the specific channel and the console it emulates. Sega VCs use CCF files, but other platforms do not.

Changing the save graphic will be a pain in the butt to do manually, so you're probably best off trying to get HowardC's tools in person66's link to work. If you're getting an FM20.dll missing error with his tools, google for the file to get it.

8. person66

Member person66 If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post

Canada
    Did you run them as an admin (in the right click menu)

9. BenRK
    OP

United States
    Yes. In either case, it complained about a missing file. comdlg32.ocx. Googled it up, and I can't seem to install that.

10. techboy

United States
    Comdlg32 failing to install is a known issue on 64-bit systems. It's for reasons like this that I don't recommend 64-bit to anyone...they're a pain to support if you need to use old applications. HowardC's stuff is VB6, so even though they're technically new, they're also "old" (VB6 is from 1998)...

Anyway, a few people report that the following works:

Get a copy of comdlg32.ocx and put it in C:\Windows\SYSWOW64, and NOT in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32

Then open a command prompt as an admin and run: regsvr32 "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\comdlg32.ocx". You should get "DLLRegisterServer in comdlg32.ocx was successful" or similar.

11. BenRK
    OP

United States
    Honestly, that's not a good reason to recommend not going to 64-bit. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. So far, the only issues I've had with running a 64-bit system is from... well... trying to run these programs. I've had no issues with anything else.

If a program is using an outdated SDK (and by the looks of it, it is a REALLY outdated SDK), and it's not running on even 32 bit systems, then it's the fault of the programmer, not the operating system.

In any case, none of this is working, so I think I'll try it in a Windows XP virtual machine.

12. BenRK
    OP

United States
    Running from a virtual machine worked, but it's still terribly confusing. I don't know what I'm supposed to inject, and the programs surely aren't telling me anything.

13. techboy

United States
    That'll probably make it work. You'll need to download FM20.dll for at least one of the tools though.

14. G0dLiKe

Member G0dLiKe who needs a title ;)

United States
    OP

I made about 450 injects from several VC systems(NES, SNES, MSX, MSX2, N64, GEN, MD, NEOGEO, PCE, MASTER SYSTEM, GB, GBC, GBA)

I was always using HowardC Tools, Devilken Injector, wwPacker, Benzin and Ultra Edit

If you need to know something specific or more in-deep drop me a PM and I gladly help.

Edit: Ah, I used to run the Programs in WinXP but moved on to Win7 64Bit in VirtualBox bc I´m on OSX, programs work flawless.

15. BenRK
    OP

United States
    A lot of missing steps that the programs don't tell you. Oh well, G0dLiKe filled me in on what I was missing.

Anyway, thanks techboy, person66, and G0dLiKe, I've got things where I want them to be.

16. G0dLiKe

Member G0dLiKe who needs a title ;)

United States
    ya np mate, glad that I could help [​IMG]