Modifying the "Get Connected Video"?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by fiveighteen, Dec 21, 2009.

1. fiveighteen
    OP

fiveighteen High Hopes and Low Expectations

Jun 30, 2008
    United States
    Would it be possible to edit the "Get Connected Video" into a sort of movie channel to play a video of our own? I mean it would obviously be too big to play a full hour and 30 minute movie, but short clips maybe?

I extracted the channel with Wad Creator and extracted all of the folders (except 01.app and 09.app), but I'm not sure which files are the movie files and if it's even possible to get other video files into that format.

Just a creative thought. [​IMG]

-----------------------------------------------

00.app has the banner/icon tpl's and channel sound.
    01.app couldn't be extracted (since it's the .dol)
    02.app has a lot of interesting stuff... I would think the movie would be in here
    -- effect.breff and effect.breft are probably just effects for the channel or movie
    -- movie.arc just seems to have the tpl's for the images on the movie screen (the boarder, return button)
    -- messageWindow.arc has tpl's for the message window buttons
    -- cursor.arc has the tpl's for the cursor
    -- prmSound.brsar is probably the sound of the movie?
    -- projectN.sel is interesting. It has this location in it: d:\projects\revolution\RVDEMOMOVIE1\US\NAND\PRD\RVL\bin\projectN.elf
    -- promotion_message_[UE/BF/US].bmg has the strings used for localization (Wiibrew: BMG Files)
    -- test[E/F/S].mo could be the videos? They are almost 50MB each.
    03.app has the home buttons
    04.app has the home buttons
    05.app has the home buttons
    06.app has icon.cs.lz7. I'm not sure how to decompress it and get inside.
    07.app has banner.cs.lz7. I'm not sure how to decompress it and get inside.
    08.app has wbf1.brna and wbf2.brna. These are thought to be used to add text to banners without the need of an image (Wiibrew: Wii Animations)
    09.app isn't a U8 archive. However, it contains the alphabet, days of the week, months of the year, and error text.

2. fiveighteen
    OP

Jun 30, 2008
    United States
    Pretty sure the videos are testE.mo, testF.mo, and testS.mo since they are 48MB each. I can't find anything about the .mo extension though. Tried just changing it to .mov but it didn't work. It was worth a try. The header is MOC5P.

I lost the Wii SDK I had... when I get it back I'll poke around the files in there to see if there's anything about .mo files. Until then, does anybody know anything else that could be done?

3. techboy

techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    The .mo files must be the movies. Seeing that they make the bulk of the wad, where else would they be hiding? Like you, I can't find much on the .mo format.

I did a search for MOC5P on google and got like 7 results...the format is guaranteed to be proprietary. Is it worth reversing to write a packing tool so we can reuse the player? Probably not.

Also, where'd you get a wii SDK and how would you manage to lose the thing? Did someone borrow it or something? I've seen pics online, and they look fairly large and difficult to misplace.

4. fiveighteen
    OP

Jun 30, 2008
    United States
    It probably isn't worth reverse engineering the code to write a packing tool, but it would be neat to be able to play movies as individual channels off the system menu.

I don't have the actual dev kit, which is what you're thinking of. It's the software dev kit, [NINTENDO_Revolution_SDK_2.1_Wii-SYNDiCATE]. I'm going to go through it right now and see what I can find with these .mo files.

5. fiveighteen
    OP

Jun 30, 2008
    United States
    I didn't find anything dealing with video files in the SDK 2.1.

In the thread I linked to above there was note of SDK 2.2, but I can't find that anywhere. I guess at this point there's not much left to do for this project.

6. techboy

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    That SDK is practically launch day. The SDK doesn't mention the movies because the connection video started shipping on consoles in later half of 2008 i believe. That SDK was out long before the .mo movie format was invented.

You're right it certainly isn't worth it to reverse it, not to mention the movies would be NAND hogs. That connection video was 1000+ blocks!

Now if we can get a forwarder channel that runs a version of Mplayer CE and loads a pre-determined AVI off the SD/USB, making channels for movies would be possible just as it is with USB Loaders.

7. fiveighteen
    OP

Jun 30, 2008
    United States
    Just because the channel wasn't on Wii's until 2008 didn't mean the movie format wasn't yet made though. Who was to say it wasn't in there until somebody actually checked?

Your approach through a MPlayer forwarder would be much more practical. It would make it easier to switch movies on/off the SD card as well.

The "Get Connected Video" channel was basically pointless... I mean, yeah, you can delete it, but the information wasn't that great anyways. They probably put way to much time into it for how useful it actually is.

8. techboy

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    Didn't think of that...Thing is, I've never seen .mo anywhere before. Not in ISOs or in any other title I've taken apart.

9. fiveighteen
    OP

Jun 30, 2008
    United States
    Then again, you've never taken apart a video either. [​IMG]

Although you'd think they could be in ISO's, but those are usually .bik files (the one's I've seen anyways).

10. vegemikee

vegemikee GBAtemp Fan

Aug 17, 2008
    offtopic:
    is this 'wii and the internet' channel safe to delete via anytitle deleter db?

11. techboy

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    I see BIK all over too in ISOs. RAD's Bink format is very popular in gaming. RAD has free software to convert to/from a .bik file. Too bad we can't say the same for Nintendo's .mo files.

As for taking apart videos...you're right. [​IMG] I haven't taken them apart before. If I had, I might have a clue as to what these .mo things were.

EDIT: @vegemikee: ATD will work. It can be tossed from the menu as well and supposedly also offers to delete itself once you watch it.

12. vegemikee

vegemikee GBAtemp Fan

Aug 17, 2008
    oh really.
    then i may as well make it delete itself instead of using homebrew [​IMG]
    how long is the video btw

13. vegemikee

vegemikee GBAtemp Fan

Aug 17, 2008
    ill take that as loooooooooong? [​IMG]
    i never finished the video because i couldnt be bothered.

14. fiveighteen
    OP

Jun 30, 2008
    United States
    You can just delete it like any other non-Homebrew installed channel (through the Data Management -> Channels menu).

Also, you can see the video online if you go to the Nintendo website, click Wii, and go to Wii + Internet. It's pretty long.