1. BinaryBreaker_1

OP BinaryBreaker_1 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    My Wii has been having an issue where it boots to a black screen after the health and warning, EXCEPT in maintenance mode. After a few months of trouble shooting I have narrowed down the issue to possibly be the file /title/00000001/00000002/data/cdb.vff. After messing around with the file in dolphin I have found that deleting it will just cause the wii to regenerate it with no loss of save data, installed channels, or Miis. Normally, I would use WiiXplorer HOWEVER, the file seems to be VERY broken. I cannot copy to an sd card, change it's location, rename it, or delete it. Attempting to use WiiXplorer's calculate MD5 hash function causes a giant error exception screen to appear when used on the file. To make sure WiiXplorer was not broken I attempted to copy and paste settings.txt from the same folder to my sd card which worked fine. My next idea is to use a program outside of IOS similar to BootMii to modifiy it, the only problem, I can't find anything that can do that, I can't even find another normal homebrew application that works as a file explorer other than WiiXplorer. I would like to know how I may fix this or a different solution to my problem.

Yes, I do have a BootMii under Boot2 backup of my nand along with PriiLoader. I do NOT have a backup from before the problem,

2. XFlak

XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    Use ohneschwanzenegger to build a new virgin nand based on your Wii's keys and restore it using bootmii

Or u can try reinstalling your system menu version and this in isolation may resolve the issue (be sure to reinstall priiloader, as this step will have removed it)

jeannotte and alexander1970 like this.
  3. BinaryBreaker_1

Newcomer

United States
    I don't understand how this helps me. Isn't there a homebrew application that can fix mail brick.

I like my games and save data.

4. XFlak

Canada
    Back them up first with save game manager gx and restore them later, or use my second suggestion

jeannotte and alexander1970 like this.
  5. BinaryBreaker_1

Newcomer

United States
    I don't understand both options, are you suggesting I get a 4.3 U System Menu WAD from NUS Downloader and install it using something like mod mii. What settings do I input into NUS to get the proper wad (patch IOS, keep encrypted / decrypted contents, etc). What do I lose if I reinstall the system menu and can I back it up then restore it after I reinstall?

6. XFlak

Canada
    Modmii runs on windows, so you would install WADs r with a wad manager like yawm or mmm, not modmii. I'm not sure what firmware/region you're currently on, so I can't comment if 4.3U is the right one, but most probably if you're suggesting it.

This route won't remove your saves, but since u have bootmii as boot2 and a nand backup u should be able to recover even if u somehow mess up

jeannotte likes this.
  7. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Addict

Last edited by tech3475, Nov 30, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Modifiy, outside, BootMii