Modified Disc Channel or Disc Channel Lookalike

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by thehritzinator, Jul 1, 2010.

1. thehritzinator
    OP

Member thehritzinator GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Can someone make a Disc Channel lookalike that has the ability to load and play wii, gamecube, and DVDs? Is there already something like this?
    I am trying to stay with the same look, but instead of 2 images in the channel (wii and gamecube discs), it would have 3 (wii, gamecube, and DVD discs)

2. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Its not possible to create a channel which changes the banner depending on the inserted disc, and Disc Channel only does this because it is not truly a channel, but a part of the System Menu.

The closest you could get AFAIK would be patch the System Menu so that starting Disc Channel wouldn't actually boot the disc, but start an executable on SD card (i.e. a DOL or ELF file), which would then load the disc inserted in an appropriate manner. The problem with this approach would be I think if a DVD is inserted, the Start button on Disc Channel is greyed out, so it wouldn't be able to be started, and I believe it would just appear as an unrecognised disc. The former may be fixed by another patch perhaps, but the later could only be "fixed" by replacing the unrecognised disc image with a DVD image, e.g. via a MyMenu theme. However, this would mean that a truly unrecognised disc would show as a DVD, and also the Start button would be shown (regardless of graphic mod) with ALL discs too.

Just some ideas...

EDIT: BTW, this has been suggested quite a few times before to similar response [​IMG]

3. TRushInfo

Banned TRushInfo Banned

United States
    yeah thehritzinator has proven to us many times that he doesnt know how to use the search button

4. thehritzinator
    OP

United States
    BTW i did search and looked thru 3 pages and everything was about Disc Loading. So no need to be assholes about it

5. SifJar

United Kingdom
    I was just saying that it had been suggested before, and nothing was ever really done about it, so I don't think its very viable that anything will happen now.

But there is still a chance of what I suggested happening, you just need to find someone with the skill and knowledge to do it, who actually has the motivation to do it as well.

6. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Did you check xflak's Wii like channels? Not exactly all of what your looking for, but
    thats about as close to a disc channel your gonna get.....

7. thehritzinator
    OP

United States
    I wasnt referring to u, You were very helpful.

TRushInfo has a habit of commenting on my posts. He feels I should already know everything about wii hacking. I dont because I am a n00b.

8. OncleJulien

Member OncleJulien tool of peers

United States
    then, in the future, use the word asshole, which is singular, not assholes, which is plural...not to mention sifjar is about as far from asshole as you are likely find hereabouts.

i second this link though, as ddetkowski suggested.

9. SifJar

United Kingdom
    Aww, thanks. *blushes*

10. calthephenom

Member calthephenom GBAtemp Regular

United States
    couldn't WiiMC be made into a wii iso? similar to the HBC installer Disc

11. SifJar

United Kingdom
    And that's related to the topic how...?