Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
terror.jpg
QUOTE said:
Leaked footage of terrorist gameplay from Activision's Modern Warfare 2 has the Australian Council on Children and the Media calling for the game's MA15+ to be reconsidered, effectively banning it from sale.

The skippable scene of terrorist atrocities in Modern Warfare 2 first came to light via leaked footage on YouTube early yesterday. News travelled quickly, however, with an AP report dropping yesterday afternoon, distributing the news to just about every news organization on the planet. Word obviously reached Australia, prompting Australian Council on Children and the Media Jane Roberts to call on the Australian Classification Board to reconsider the MA15+ rating the game received, which is the highest rating given games in the country. Reconsideration would effectively ban the game from release. Roberts claims that even with the MA15+ rating, the game would still be readily available to children.

"The consequences of terrorism are just abhorrent in our community and yet here we are with a product that's meant to be passed off as a leisure time activity, actually promoting what most world leaders speak out publicly against."

Do not read on if you wish to avoid Modern Warfare 2 spoilers.

Here's the report regarding the offending scene filed by the Classification Board that accompanied the MA15+ rating decision.

"Several civilians are shot with blood burst bullet wounds; civilian corpses are strewn across the airport floor, often in stylised pools of blood; injured civilians crawl away with lengthy blood trails behind them."

The report goes on to mention that you cannot inflict post mortem damage on the civilians, and that all other missions of the game will result in failure if a civilian is shot.

Activision released a statement to Kotaku yesterday regarding the scene, explaining that it was "meant to evoke the atrocities of terrorism."

Back in Australia the debate rages on, with Nicholas Suzor, spokesman for the lobby group Electronic Frontiers Australia, using the situation to call for a R18+ rating for games released in the country, while rejecting the idea that a video game could foster terrorism.

"Films often show the villain's perspective and, by doing that, they get across the character's story and the heinous nature of people who carry out atrocities. Games, too, are becoming more expressive, and are telling more involved stories. We may make an argument that these sorts of topics are not suitable for children, but I don't at all accept that it is unsuitable for adults."

The Classification Board cannot review its own decisions, so anyone interested in getting the rating reviewed will have to apply directly to the board.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is slated for Australian release on November 10th.

Source

EDIT: Could A staff member change the title to..
''Modern Warfare2 Terrorist Footage Gameplay Sparks Outrage In Australia'' Please?

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Honestly, I have just given up. I cant be bothered to get angry anymore because nothing is going to change. Until we get an R18+ rating, we continue to get shafted and this only increase the import industry.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
MaHe said:
Seriously, what is wrong with the Australian government? :/

They're douchebags with closed minds and no lives which need to have 18 year old virgins sent to their houses so that they can get laid.

Cablephish

Show me...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
To be honest, when I first saw this a couple of days ago, I thought that it was a bit too much, but after some thought, I snapped back into reality and told myself it's just a game.

Konachan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FFS Australia ITS A GAME! and if your so offended by it just skip the damn scene! >.>

besides banning it wont do nonthing, ppl will just get it imported to them or pirate it.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Aww, come on! I just hope they don't cut anything out the game, seems like a great story. I would hate to see them cut out half of it because some Australian's got mad!

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
playallday said:
Aww, come on! I just hope they don't cut anything out the game, seems like a great story. I would hate to see them cut out half of it because some Australian Politicians got mad!

Fixed for accuracy.

Those douchebags aren't accomplishing nothing since most of the purchases of these games are by adults who have credit cards and/or paypal to import the games if they are banned or aren't released in Australia.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
playallday said:
Aww, come on! I just hope they don't cut anything out the game, seems like a great story. I would hate to see them cut out half of it because some Australian's got mad!
Oh don't worry they'll just make it so theres no blood, decapitated limbs, or dead bodies lying around. Oh and probably remove all mentions of being a terrorist and guns. Think of that episode of south park, where they remade the movies and replaced the guns with walkie talkies, that's what will probably happen too. /s

First the OFLC screws L4D2 and now this... just great... It's just like what people have been saying this is all Atkinson's fault.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
Bleh, like I care about those nit-picking idiots. It's just a fucking game for fucks sake, and they make such a fucking big commotion about it. I have COMPLETELY lost my faith in humanity.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Edgedancer said:
Honestly, I have just given up. I cant be bothered to get angry anymore because nothing is going to change. Until we get an R18+ rating, we continue to get shafted and this only increase the import industry.
Go burn down their offices and get protests and petitions going to speak out against those pricks. Sounds as bad as that Jack Thompson asshole. And it's funny they complain about this yet they have no problem advertising terrorists on TV through hostage situations and whatnot, I mean jeez a game like that is just like real life.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
u cant blame em, it's policy... maybe they are worried they will be too wayward like many ppl in us which has caused crime and indecency

ofcourse many are not going to be affected by the video but due to a handful of kids, they wanna keep it away

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Wish I could use that for video editing lol