jaxxster

The Heretic
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
So according to destructoid...Modern Warfare 2 is going to be costing a huge £54.99 - Thank fuck I have my modded 360, no way im spending that much on a game.

"It's been a while since I lived in England now, but I still remember how annoying it was to spend £49.99 on a brand new videogame. It looked like things would calm down as I was leaving, with a lot of new games retailing for £39.99. However, if Activision's shocking price hike for Modern Warfare 2 is any indicator, it looks like the recession is giving publishers a license to gouge.

Amazingly, Modern Warfare 2 is going to sell for the hefty price of £54.99! The worst of it is that this is expected to be the first of many videogame price hikes across the UK, with other publishers ready to follow Activision's lead and make fifty-five quid an official price point.

"Exchange rates between the Euro and the pound are making it very difficult for publishers to show an acceptable operating margin in the UK," explains THQ man Ian Curran, apparently speaking in Activision's place. "You can’t continue to trade as normal when the biggest territory in Europe has seen cost of goods increase by 30 per cent due to the strengthening of the Euro. Publishers somehow need to offset this drastic increase in costs. I’m not surprised to see the SRP go up and I feel this will continue across more key titles."

Apparently, UK retailers were prepared for this, claiming that publishers have been "hammered" by the UK economy for quite some time. Meanwhile, Electronic Arts has stated officially that it has no plans to change its own prices, so that's something.

"Will this affect consumers? I don’t think so," says one anonymous UK publisher. "If a title is this good, will they spend an extra £5? Of course. You can’t blame Activision. They’re entitled to do this – they’ve invested huge amounts."

What do you think? Will you will be buying Modern Warfare 2 for the high, high price of £54.99, or would you rather pay your rent that month?"
Source

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
UK£ 54.99 = 90.34857 US$

That is ridiculous. I would never pay that much for a game especially an fps.

QUOTE said:
"Will this affect consumers? I don’t think so," says one anonymous UK publisher. "If a title is this good, will they spend an extra £5? Of course. You can’t blame Activision. They’re entitled to do this – they’ve invested huge amounts."
Everyone knows businesses are entitled to gouge their customers in times of economic troubles.

I hope this game has terrible sales.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
And they complain why we pirate stuff
sleep.gif

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
"Will you will be buying Modern Warfare 2 for the high, high price of £54.99, or would you rather pay your rent that month?"

This made me lol
Seriously though, Activision can F off for that price it's ridiculous.

Personally I think they are just using the fact that almost every xbox owner will be buying this, and the credit crunch to justify the stupid ridiculous, disgusting price tag.

£_£

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DeadLocked said:
Seriously though, Activision can F off for that price it's ridiculous.

Infinity Ward*

biggrin.gif

Activision...that's why COD5 a.k.a WoW sucked!

I could have sworn that i saw the Infintiy Ward logo on the cover.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wow damn that is expensive. No way will I pay that much for a video game. If it is gonna be $91 for a game in US currency, in Canadian Currency, that price will go up! Maybe even over $100. Damn, Infinity Ward, I think I will just be happy with my CoD4 then get me a CoD5...

Technik

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What the heck? That game is literaly just yelling 'Pirate Me!'
I wasn't much into shooting games but when my sisters dad who always buys everyone stuff got us a used Call of duty 4 and i gave it a try i spent my whole freaking spring break playing wifi. But $90?!! It better not be that here because i play COD on my ps3 and its pirate proof.

gokujr1000

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
purplesludge said:
UK£ 54.99 = 90.34857 US$

That is ridiculous. I would never pay that much for a game especially an fps.

QUOTE said:
Everyone knows businesses are entitled to gouge their customers in times of economic troubles.

I hope this game has terrible sales.

Aussies are going to have to pay 100 bucks or over like we usually do

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
This is just pure greed on Activision's part, nothing more. They know they have a popular franchise that people will want to play. I actually hope this sells poorly if they price it similarly globally, maybe then they will rethink their price structure.

Luckily I'm not too big into fps...

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh well, if they want to kill sales of the game, this is the way to do it. I reckon the supermarkets will sell it cheaper anyway, just like they always do. Also I'm fed up with all the companies and their "£ is weak bs", didn't see them running to drop prices when it was strong.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CrimsoniteX said:
You guy's sure that is not the price of the hardened edition?
Thats what I'm thinking to. They have already said the hardened edition will cost $80 in America and the deluxe edition with the goggles will cost $140. Unless they dont release a standard version.

Source

Hillsy_

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
C'mon a quick internet search revealed Modern Warfare 2 Amazon £44.96 already..

You can get the game cheaper, just actually look for it instead of pirating everything!!

@jaxxster - I'll be surprised if you actually buy any games for your 360.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While this isn't as bad as when Super Street Fighter 2 was £79 on the snes, its still a stupid amount of money for a standard version of a game nowadays. Thing is this will be half price a couple of months later. A company who has a guaranteed million seller like this doesn't need to do this.

EA however have just said that therewont be an increase in RRP for their games.

Some companies learn from their mistakes, others ignore them. I hope it bites them in the ass like it had done to others in the past.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb