Passa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi, I got a 360 sometime last year so my original Xbox hasn't seen much action since then. I have a large collection of media stored on a network share that many devices already access in the house (360 through the dash, PSP with PiMPStreamer, PCs with MediaPortal etc..) but after putting in a new LCD TV in one of the bedrooms, I want to add access to media there as well.

I thought it'd be cheaper to fix up the Xbox and use that rather than building a PC for the task. I have a few issues though - for one, the Xbox is version 1.6b I believe (or plain 1.6?..) so it doesn't work with softmods. So I need some advice for modchip choices (if theyre not that hard to install) or places in Australia I can send the console to be modded. Since the media is stored on another device, I don't need a hard-drive upgrade but I do need wifi added to the console and I'm not sure how this is done. It needs to be wifi and not ethernet.

Last issue is connecting the Xbox to the LCD TV with component cables - does XBMC and the Xbox itself support something like widescreen 720p? I heard some Xbox games even supported 1080p so it could be possible..

Of course then I have to find a remote, I'm assuming any 3rd party ones will still work with XBMC fine? (other issue is finding one.. they go for ridiculous amounts on eBay..)

Thanks.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As I understand it all xboxes can be softmodded (mine is definitely a 1.6 and I have modded several other 1.6 models). All that you need is a memory card (or compatible stick and adapter), a copy of one of the three games that can do it and the software. I would lend you my kit but you seem to be a bit far away. There are multiple guides both here and a quick search away.

Remotes: the sensor is apparently what some use (it is a universal sensor so you can use one of those programmable remotes) but I scored a remote a few months back for £5 (lunch money and it even came with batteries) so look around.

Wifi: the xbox only has a wired port. A wireless bridge is not too hard to come across though and probably represents the best option.

"HD" output. XBMC and a lot of stuff support output at the resolutions required but those of us in the PAL world got screwed over as usual. I have not done it for myself but all is not lost ( http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xbox_VGA_HOWTO is one way) or you may have to get a custom BIOS or you may just have to switch it to NTSC with enigma to use the adapters. I am afraid I am not so knowledgeable on this one (the current "HD" offers are a gimmick as far as I am concerned) and everything I can find with a quick search glosses over it, is way outdated or just plain wrong.

Passa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thing is I tried softmodding and I got booted to a warning screen saying my dashboard was damaged (?), then it rebooted and all was normal again (with no softmod). I did hear that some 1.6 versions might be able to get softmodded but have no video support afterwards (??)

Can you recommend any sites with info? I've poked around from Google but haven't found a whole lot of relevant stuff..

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Black background with white text in multiple languages, error 23 if I recall correctly?

Usual cause for this is you only copied the hacked save file to trigger the exploit and not the other part which is the actual stuff that is used to replace the dash (the dash save manager is a pain to work, I have been tripped up by it once or twice).

GBAtemp has a fair few people clued in on the xbox.
xbox linux linked above has some decent stuff if you can read between the lines.
xbox-scene: be careful of the out of date stuff (it is usually fairly obvious) http://www.xbox-scene.com/tutorials.php
xbox-hq: http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/xbox-tutorials-cid-6.html (according to a guide there apparently it is only the enigma switcher (you boot it and press a then reset) will allow for "HD" output via normal cables).
xbox100 (not used the site myself much but it is not bad) http://www.xbox100.com/tutorials/xbox.html
Every fool and his donkey has a blog on xbox modding it seems so anything you will find on one of the sites above he chances are you can read in a slightly different way, a search for xbox tutorials tends to bring up the sort of sites you want these days as well.

Oh and make sure to grab a copy of autoinstaller deluxe (sister project to softmod installer deluxe which I suggest you use to mod it in the first place) as it is really nice to have everything in one place on a simple to use disc.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I use the Splinter Cell softmod...

Get AID 4.20 (Auto Installer Deluxe 4.20)... just google

Once you get to the Softmod screen, make sure you BACKUP your MS Dash... trust me, you'll need it!

Follow the screen, install the softmod, and then one of the 2 other dash (Evox is preferred)

Reboot, and you should get the EVOX dash... pop in the AID disc, and install XBMC, and enjoy! I run it on my stock HD, and have my entire movie collection and tv show collection on my network drive, and enjoy it from my nice big 42" LCD...

XBMC has support for all video resolutions, from standard to 1080p. Plus, with XBMC installed, you can play your backup games (or install a very large HD, and copy all your games to your HD to play with almost no load times!)

morcar

Trophies
Website
www.tredegarforum.com
XP
Country
1.6 xboxes can be softmodded mine is infact i hacked 160GB hard drive jusr for my xbox. Work like a dream and i still got the real xbox drive here just in case it goes tits up.

I have loads of emulators with games and i have installed a few of the proper xbox games too along with films and music. I also have 2 usb cables for it so i can use keyboard and mouse for the computer emulators like the Amiga and C64.

matriculated

Trophies
Website
www.nubecoder.com
XP
Country
Canada
As for wireless, you can either use the 360 wireless adapter ($$$) or just buy a cheap Linksys WRT54-G ($40) and flash DD-WRT (Micro version) and turn that into a wireless bridge. I'm not sure if you can find a reliable wireless bridge for cheaper. I used to have my Xbox on ethernet and just switched to the Linksys about a month ago and while it's a bit slower (initially) it's not very noticeable.

XBMC is definitely one of my most favorite pieces of software ever!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs