Hardware Modding an original gba. Screen conversion and soldering?

Skyhigh_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i am a bit confused, upon glacing at a thread of someone who posted pictures of a modded fushia clear gba i don't know whether something needs to be soldered or not.

To clarify i have yet to buy any of the materials besides the shells, which is why i am asking this in advanced so i won't waste any money on something that will require more.

I have both an ags 101 and ags 001 screen, the ribbon cables is my issues as the replies people give are confusing.

My gba is a 40 pin but i see both cables without that wire sticking out and with wire so i don't know which one i need. I was under the impression if i have a 40 pin gba that i don't need to solder a single wire at all.

The cable i was looking to buy has no wires and just says p1 and p2. Can someone clarify is soldering is needed at all?

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
A link to what screen kit you were looking at might help you determin what P1 and P2 are.

If I remeber correctly, your soldering to either ground or supply more power to power the backlight regardless of what pin version you got or type of kit you get.

If your still looking to get a nice shell, you can try here: http://rosecoloredgaming.com/gameboy-advance.html

Requires modding the shell to accept the backlight screen mod, your removing plastic so the screen fits. This is regardless if your keeping the original shell or a custom shell from the link I provided.

Last edited by how_do_i_do_that,

Skyhigh_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for reply and suggestions

I attached a picture of the cable i am buying , i am not buying a kit i already have an ags101 and ags001 and the shells i only need the cable which i am unsure what i would need.
I have seen some people post where they required no soldering ( can someone who has personally done this mod please verify) and others that did.

I already bought some shells, and while some of those look nice they are too expensive for my tastes the only way i would dish out $30.00 for one of those cases was if it was already pre cut to fit the gba sp screens.

wSTbBDE.jpg

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
P1 gets soldered to the board from closest match I could find online. I don't know if P2 gets soldered or not.

When you order the thing, it should come with instructions on what to solder or you will be given a link to what to solder. If it doesn't come with instructions on what to solder to where, you might have to ask the guy your buying from if there is a guide for your cable.

Skyhigh_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well here's the thing i messaged 2 different sellers and both told me i don't need to solder anything if i have a 40 pin gba, besides those cables don't even have wires.

But then i noticed in some forums some people still did soldering? This is a bit confusing

Skyhigh_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How did you mod your gba ? So if i get one of those cables like i pictured and i use an ags001 screen i won't have to solder?

Skyhigh_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i meant the ags001

I realize the case needs modification that is not an issue, my only concern is the need to solder which i want to avoid. So i was asking how you modified yours and what you used.

If someone else has done with mod before without soldering i would really appreciate if you could chime in on details

Ben Ten's Dad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
As far as I am aware (and I am planning to mod a couple of units too) is that the 40 Pin cable does not need soldered. Only the 32 Pin needs soldered - otherwise it will not be bright enough. There's a tut on youtube where the guy puts a 40 Pin cable in and is amazed that he doesn't need to solder.

Nusdogg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For back lit screens, it all depends on the ribbon adapter. If it comes with the single wire, solder it. If they don't, just plug and play.

For the front lit mod, most ribbon adapters I've seen so far always come with a single wire with a resistor soldered to the base where the wire is soldered to.

Last edited by Nusdogg,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn