Sc4rFac3d

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Alright GBAtemp, here is the backstory. I found my old DS phat the other day and decided to open it up and poke around in there. Was quite fun. Anyway, when it got back together I noticed the DS slot had a bend pin and couldn't read DS cartridges anymore but GBA worked fine. So I got to think if I could use it as a nice GBA along with the Micro as of course it still has the best games out of every handheld! The top is a bit bothersome and makes the thing too heavy for a dedicated GBA so I was thinking if I could remove it. After all the original DS still has the best D-pad so I could get some great mileage out of the thing.

Anyway, can it be done? If I remove the ribbon that connects the top screen (and speakers for that matter) the DS won't start up. Is there a way to trick the thing into thinking the top is still there? Even if it can be done I might have to remod the speakers somewhere or use headphones but I don't have any problems with that. I figure other Tempers might be interested in this as well since of course everyone got the DS when it first came out and few are still using it.

So anyone interested in tackling this with me?

Bertuga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hmm... I don't think it's possible... i was changing a DS phat housing, and i noticed that when the upper screen is not properly attached by the flat cable, the system won't turn on at all. It just light the green led, the lower screen flashs, and it turn off again. So I think thats not possible. I hope I could be of some help.

And sorry for my poor english, I'm just a brazilian gamer xD

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It certainly seems like an interesting idea, however it sounds alot more difficult that its worth.
It sounds like my might just be easier to replace the Slot 1 and fix it. Either that or make it work with ds light screens. that would be cool.

TheViolentOne

Trophies
XP
Country
by the way...why don't you just buy a gba? its cheap you know :S
wink2.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
BortzANATOR said:
It certainly seems like an interesting idea, however it sounds alot more difficult that its worth.
Agreed. Although it would look kinda cool, like the original GBA, I think it would be simpler and easier to buy a replacement card slot ($2 on Dealextreme) and fix it.

But on the other hand, don't listen to us old farts. You do what you want to do. It's a great idea. I wish I could help you, but I don't know, I've never modded a DS before (I replaced the top screen once), so all I can do is wish you luck with your project. And post pictures when you're done
happy.gif

Sc4rFac3d

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Bertuga said:
Hmm... I don't think it's possible... i was changing a DS phat housing, and i noticed that when the upper screen is not properly attached by the flat cable, the system won't turn on at all. It just light the green led, the lower screen flashs, and it turn off again. So I think thats not possible. I hope I could be of some help.

And sorry for my poor english, I'm just a brazilian gamer xDThanks, yeah I saw that too! I was hoping there was maybe a trick to make the DS "think" an upper screen was connected.

Veho said:
BortzANATOR said:
Agreed. Although it would look kinda cool, like the original GBA, I think it would be simpler and easier to buy a replacement card slot ($2 on Dealextreme) and fix it.

But on the other hand, don't listen to us old farts. You do what you want to do. It's a great idea. I wish I could help you, but I don't know, I've never modded a DS before (I replaced the top screen once), so all I can do is wish you luck with your project. And post pictures when you're done
happy.gif
Yeah, I'll buy that if I can't find any way at all to do this but now I'm kinda deadset on doing it! I'll definitely post pics when I get it done (might screw around with the case too). I'll try looking around other forums where this sort of things are more common. I'm sure there is a way, and if not I'm sure some creative geniuses can find one!

QUOTE(holiday-monster @ Dec 12 2010, 09:59 PM)
by the way...why don't you just buy a gba? its cheap you know :S
wink2.gif
Already got a wonderful Micro! This is just a project for fun
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr