Modding a DS...for a complete noob???

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by lost1, Oct 28, 2007.

Oct 28, 2007
  1. lost1
    OP

Newcomer lost1 Newbie

Australia
    Hello
    Iv moded my xbox and my nintendo wii and well my mate is tring to sell his PSP and i though i might get it, sell it and get a DS Lite...But im not sure how DS modding works?...all the falsh cards and slots, etc is so confiusing...so what is the best and cheapest way to mod the DS Lite to play 'backed up' DS Games...also would it be possible to use Opera DS without actually buying it?

also do wifi enabled games work if i use 'backed up' DS games?

thanx

2. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    There is no need to mod your DS to pirate games (which is why you are here right [​IMG]). A simple solution nowadays is to purchase a new slot 1 card and a micro SD (if necessary), which are very simple to use.

You can use Opera DS without paying. You will need a RAM expansion (most slot 2 cards will work), and in most cases, a patched browser ROM.

EDIT: I'll clarify my last statement, some cards do not require the ROM to be patched (eg. Cyclo can automatically handle the 3in1 expansion and the original RAM expansion).

3. lost1
    OP

Newcomer lost1 Newbie

Australia
    danm...just checked the price on the Cyclo DS Evolution and its like $60AU!!...is there any cheaper option?..also whats the difference between slot 1 and slot 2?

4. 4saken

Australia
    Besides the obvious difference [​IMG]? Slot 2 is capable of running GBA games by itself, but are generally harder to run (ROMs need patching, etc)

EDIT: I mean slot 2 cards in general are harder to use than slot 1 cards

Cheaper option would be the R4 and a micro SD, or an N-Card (or otherwise); probably the cheapest.

Patching the Opera ROM is not difficult, and if you do use it, prepare to be underwhelmed and disappointed

5. Eyedunno

Member Eyedunno GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    Indeed. But it's not entirely useless either. I use it in hotels when I'm on trips (I don't have a laptop PC or anything, and it beats the hell out of browsing the web on my cellphone).

6. 4saken

Australia
    Patching the ROM is probably better than using the expansion tool (less steps [​IMG]). Anyway, the cards which Rudolph's Tool currently fully supports are the R4 (and M3R), SCDS1 and DSLink. I might have missed one >_>